Why Virginia Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Virginia Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Going into the season, I thought Purdue and Virginia were comparable teams: “Last year’s team put on a Purdue-like, (actually BYU-like) aerial show. 392.6 yards per game, #2 in the country. They could run the ball a little bit better: 123.2 #105. Their 515.8 yards per game was 3rd in the country. Wouldn’t we love those stats this year? They still have the quarterback who accounted virtually all of those yards: Brennan Armstrong (326/500 (let’s see…that’s 65.2% - proud of myself) for 4,449 yards, 31TDs and 10 picks. (A shootout between them and Purdue would have been fun.) Unlike Purdue’s O’Connell, Armstrong has his three top receivers back: 6-4 215 Keytaon Thompson 78r 990yds 1TD, (just one?), slotman Billy Kemp (74/725/6) and Dontayvion Wicks (57/1203/9). They also get back “2020 breakout star” Lavel Davis (20/515/5 in 7 games), who missed last year with knee surgery. Unfortunately the lost their fine TIGHT END Jelani Woods, who caught 44 for 598 yards and 8TDs.” We just got burned for 424 yards and 3 TDs. This could be as bad – or worse.

- We countered by passing for 181 yards with 17 incompletions in 30 passes. We made some big plays at the end to pull out a shoot-out, but we had a lot less ammo than Purdue did. We couldn’t get our supposedly powerful running game going and were outgained 306-485. How many games are we going to win with that output. What if Virginia keeps their mouths shut?

- “Oh, but they aren’t as good as Purdue.” Not so far. But this could be the night they get back to the production they had last year. They’ve had one bad game vs. Illinois, (who is having a good season) but they were pretty productive in their games against Richmond (505 yards to 330) and Old Dominion (513-324).

- Armstrong, unlike O’Connell, is a mobile quarterback we can’t just tee off on. If we send the house, we could get burned, the way we did in the 4th quarter against Purdue.

- They’ve seen what we can do but also what we have trouble with. And they are familiar with Anae and Beck’s offense.

- It’s fun to look at an opponent’s bad games and imagine SU doing that to them. But it doesn’t count unless we do it ourselves.

- Our injuries keep piling up.

- I hope our team isn’t already dreaming of being 5-0 going into the NC State game. We fans get to do that but the players better not.

If Armstrong gets his confidence going it's going to be a battle, I'd hate to see him make 3rd and longs into first and tens by his feet, have to tackle well and be in your lanes. Also, SU can not have zero turnovers all year so tonight might be the night and bouncing back from those is a must. Limit the damage.

If Armstrong gets his confidence going it's going to be a battle, I'd hate to see him make 3rd and longs into first and tens by his feet, have to tackle well and be in your lanes. Also, SU can not have zero turnovers all year so tonight might be the night and bouncing back from those is a must. Limit the damage.
Armstrong will come out, for lack of a better word, strong in this game. He's probably sick and tired of hearing about the offensive struggles. That said, so did Aidan O'Connell, right? The defense bends, but they've gotta tighten up when it matters (i.e. red zone). Let's hope they continue to do so because I have an uneasy feeling about Brennan. He's an outstanding quarterback.

Remember how Dungey was the time he faced Shafer? Hoping this is how Armstrong reacts. It seemed like a tough game mentally for him.

Remember how Dungey was the time he faced Shafer? Hoping this is how Armstrong reacts. It seemed like a tough game mentally for him.
And I am hoping that aside from knowing how he plays, that Anae and Beck know what gets to him. How to push his buttons.

Of course, Shafer was a DC and thus going directly against Dungey. But I'm sure Anae and Beck provided White with plenty of info. i heard part of a radio interview with the Virginia coach where he questioned the ethics of obtaining inside information after a coaching change like either, either from his players or Anae and Beck on our side. He said he prefers to study film. Of course, film study may have bene enough when you've got better players at Clemson. At Syracuse, we have to take advantage of anything we can get.

It’s all going to depend upon their offensive line which is an entirely new group. Brennan has been struggling as opposed to last year because of that, but also because of the new system Tony Elliott has installed. It’s taking awhile for Armstrong to adjust to that new system. I’m thinking with all the noise and blitzes we may cause them alot of confusion. They’ll try to run at first and if they can’t do that watch out.

Of course, Shafer was a DC and thus going directly against Dungey. But I'm sure Anae and Beck provided White with plenty of info. i heard part of a radio interview with the Virginia coach where he questioned the ethics of obtaining inside information after a coaching change like either, either from his players or Anae and Beck on our side. He said he prefers to study film. Of course, film study may have bene enough when you've got better players at Clemson. At Syracuse, we have to take advantage of anything we can get.
I suppose that Elliot will choose to forget what he knows about Clemson when he plays them... hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom