Why Wake Forest Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Wake Forest Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- They are an ACC team. We had a grand time destroying Clemson of the ACC, 41-0, in 1/1/96 Gator Bowl. Since then:

9/7/96 North Carolina 27 Syracuse 10
8/30/97 North Carolina State 32 Syracuse 31
10/1/98 North Carolina State 38 Syracuse 17
8/26/01 Georgia Tech 13 Syracuse 7
9/7/02 North Carolina 30 Syracuse 22
9/6/03 Syracuse 49 North Carolina 47
9/25/04 Virginia 31 Syracuse 10
10/9/04 Florida State 17 Syracuse 13
12/21/04 Georgia Tech 51 Syracuse 14
9/17/05 Virginia 27 Syracuse 24
10/1/05 Florida State 38 Syracuse 14
9/2/06 Wake Forest 20 Syracuse 10
11/27/10 Boston College 16 Syracuse 7

That’s 1-12 folks. Some have been blow-outs. It’s the ones that weren’t that hurt the most. I’ll bet you can remember every one of them. Something always happens vs. the ACC.

- ACC? Heck we have lost four in a row at home to BCS teams! Actually, we’ve lost four in a row at home period. And Wake is closer to the teams we lost to than the last two teams we beat at home: Maine and Colgate.

- Their coach seems to have turned into a pumpkin for the Demon Deacons Their wins have gone from 11 in 2006, (when they beat us 20-10 in the opener), to 9 to 8 to 5 to 3. But that trend isn’t going to continue. They were extremely young last year and will begin climbing the ladder again this year. I don’t know if they’ll get to 11 but they will better than the 3-9 team they had last year.

- The one weakness of last year’s SU defense was that they got ground up by a power running game. This year’s SU defense is younger and smaller and they are going up against a line that averages 320 pounds per man with a back, (Josh Harris, who burned Virginia Tech for 241 yards rushing last year. This could look a lot like the Louisville, Connecticut and Boston College recurring nightmares from last year.

- We are going to miss Rob Long who punted, kicked off an held for placekicks and did all superbly. Raupers looked pitiful in the spring game. Apparently he’s done better in the fall but now it counts and we’ll see what we get. If we keep kicking kick-offs to the 10 yards line, we are going to pay for it. I don’t know who will be holing but Rob save more lousy snaps than I can count. I can only hope the next guy does as well. We are 31 for 36 on field goals the last two years and Rob had almost as much to do with that as the kickers.

- The one weakness of last year’s SU defense was that they got ground up by a power running game. This year’s SU defense is younger and smaller and they are going up against a line that averages 320 pounds per man with a back, (Josh Harris, who burned Virginia Tech for 241 yards rushing last year. This could look a lot like the Louisville, Connecticut and Boston College recurring nightmares from last year.

This, above all else, is my fear.

The power running game is a concern, BUT Syracuses offense looks to be a lot more potent than it was last year. Although this young defense will bend, I do not think it will break against Wake. Yes, Wake will put some points up, but SU will put up more.

I would like to see Ryan torch the Wake secondary for 326 yds. & Bailey grab an additional 113 on the ground, with solid contributions from the younger players...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom