Why? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why?

I was just reviewing our 2018 recruiting list and the crystal ball predictions. Many of these players already have strong leans towards other schools. Maryland, Butler St Johns Providence and even Uconn. We aren't even warm anywhere. We are being out recruited by St Johns. I know we beat this topic to death but If we have this many not showing interest we need to move on and find others before this blows up in our face. Why do we still carry them on the list? My concerns continue to elevate.
There is plenty of reasons to be concerned but I wouldn't count crystal meth and their predictions among them. I believe they still have Tucker going to Indiana.

upload_2017-4-21_16-28-9.jpeg

Huh? What does my comment have to do with our next coach?

My comparison was to equate how small of an impact I think the extension has to how little impact a band-aid would have. Nothing more.

We're in a 3 year rut with no end in sight. That's the reality of the situation, and the 2016 FF is long in the rear view. JB's age, uncertainty about how long he'll be here, the zone and so on are all factors that can and will continue to be used against the program in recruiting. If we were coming off 3 very successful seasons, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but we're not in that situation, unfortunately.

I don't really disagree with the idea that all those factors are being used against us to some extent, but context is important. I think a lot of people are feeling a lot of angst based on the recruiting woes (very real) of this season. Green was a hit, no question. Walker was strange. you would really hope we had a PG lined up for next season. The current makeup of the roster is ugly.

But I think those recruiting woes have people going way overboard in the criticism of the state of the program and/or the general criticism of the staff. i mean during the three year down period -- and it has been less than pretty -- we still have a final four (ask Arizona/UCLA/Pitt, etc. what they'd trade for a final four run). You yourself are describing 2016 as long in the rear view.

What's more, there were a ton -- A TON -- of posters here who were thrilled with this roster as recently as mid-November. I'm not saying folks thought it was OK, I'm referring to people thinking this was a final four team.

We also have had a bunch of players land in the NBA -- what good it does us, I don't know, but it's not like we haven't had talented players.

I don't know, it's been ugly, but I find it misguided to suggest that a JB extension is a band ade over a gunshot wound. Just feels melodramatic to me.

Serious question. How many 18-22 year old kids want to play for a 75 year old?

A 75 year old who has won a ton of games, been to Final Fours, put several guys in the pros, not to get into the whole thing about age, your going to play for someone, not looking for a friend, what difference does it really make what their age is?

This is such a lazy (not you specifically, but the board in general) way of explaining what has been some disappointing three seasons in syracuse basketball. K is two years younger than JB. Roy is six years younger but might as well be 90 with the way he talks. Pitino is 64 years old but looks like a wax museum figure. Cal is much younger, obviously, at 58 but he's basically these kids' best friends. What 22-year-old has a lot of 58-year-old pals?

The bottom line is that JB's age probably isn't helping him but it's not like putting a 35-year-old in charge magically erases all that. Kids that are 16 and 17 (when they're taking visits) view 35-year-olds as ancient (rightfully so). There are issues here and JB's age and general demeanor/interaction with his players is likely one of them. But don't be lazy -- we're not losing players to Duke b/c K is two years younger.

Larranga is 67 and Hamilton is 68 too. That makes half the ACC with coaches old enough to collect social security. And they all seem to be doing just fine recruiting.

Not too mention has Boeheim had any real major health concerns before? I know K and Williams have for sure.

As much as I love Hop, I think the forced retirement / transition to Hop was actually what hurt us more than anything. It gave negative recruiters both certainty (boeheim gone after 2017-18) and uncertainty (is Hop a good coach? What's his style going to be?) to use against us.

Now that Hop has moved on to Washington, our situation is no different than most of the other top ACC programs and I think we'll see that come through in 2018 recruiting class.

I think JB retires after next season.

Larranga is 67 and Hamilton is 68 too. That makes half the ACC with coaches old enough to collect social security. And they all seem to be doing just fine recruiting.

Not too mention has Boeheim had any real major health concerns before? I know K and Williams have for sure.

As much as I love Hop, I think the forced retirement / transition to Hop was actually what hurt us more than anything. It gave negative recruiters both certainty (boeheim gone after 2017-18) and uncertainty (is Hop a good coach? What's his style going to be?) to use against us.

Now that Hop has moved on to Washington, our situation is no different than most of the other top ACC programs and I think we'll see that come through in 2018 recruiting class.
Well, there was the bout with prostate cancer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom