wifi in dome | Syracusefan.com

wifi in dome

The Wifi situation and really any type of connection in the dome is absolutely abysmal. Honestly it feels like your trying to use a cell phone in 1993 or that you have somehow gone back in time to Mcnabb's freshmen year. You can barely get a signal from your actual provider 4G or not and god help you if you need to access the WIFI, your better off finding a rotary phone in the basement level off the dome from the early 80's.

Any post to this thread should bear the following: #FirstWorldProblems

Bizarre. Even if you get a signal, it is of poor quality, the process to get a workable password is awful and there are no provisions for mobile devices. How can you set up a wifi log in in this day and age and have no provisions for mobile?

The saddest thing is, setting up a public wifi connection is not particularly expensive or difficult. If Starbucks and McDonalds can do it, SU should be able to as well.

I like that access is only good for 2 weeks and you have to do it again and again and again..

Bizarre. Even if you get a signal, it is of poor quality, the process to get a workable password is awful and there are no provisions for mobile devices. How can you set up a wifi log in in this day and age and have no provisions for mobile?

The saddest thing is, setting up a public wifi connection is not particularly expensive or difficult. If Starbucks and McDonalds can do it, SU should be able to as well.

This is an issue a lot of schools are dealing with. UGA is making it a priority. The NFL is actually mandating stadiums to comply with minimum wifi capabilities. Everything I've heard is that it's a multi-million dollar thing to assure it will work with that amount of traffic in one place. I have no idea, but that's what UGA and the NFL stuff I've read say.

Update - here's a story on NFL doing it. Upwards of $6M to get it done. Don't hold your breath, folks!

http://www.dailywireless.org/2012/11/13/really-big-stadium-wifi/

Much of the issue is that those places started from no access.. College campuses are already wired with huge bandwidth and Wap already in place around the area.. they are adding on and tweaking existing network.. its not cheap but also not the same as an NFL stadium and also the Dome is much smaller and has half the people of most NFL places. the Img's show SU has it in place just has huge blank spots.

A good friend of mine met with Pete Sala last year. His company was offering improved wifi coverage for the Dome at no cost to the University. The improvements would have been paid for by a major provider (whom you have all heard of). He made his presentation - never heard back. Oh Lord

From what i have heard several things are not being done because of contracts.. ATT , TW etc are stopping other projects that would add to the game experiences..

Is this different than the Orange Hotspot or the same thing? I sit in section 302 and connected without any problems or prompt for a password this past weekend. It wasn't full coverage but I didn't have a problem with slow or unresponsive connections the entire game.

For the first time all season I had a very strong signal on VZW 4G on Saturday. It was nice for checking scores on timeouts. Now, not saying they did anything to increase capacity, it could just have been a lighter load on the network.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

For the first time all season I had a very strong signal on VZW 4G on Saturday. It was nice for checking scores on timeouts. Now, not saying they did anything to increase capacity, it could just have been a lighter load on the network.

Sent from my KFTT using 2
Yup. My VZ 4g worked ok for first time ever this past Saturday. Not great but better than last few years

A good friend of mine met with Pete Sala last year. His company was offering improved wifi coverage for the Dome at no cost to the University. The improvements would have been paid for by a major provider (whom you have all heard of). He made his presentation - never heard back. Oh Lord

is anyone really surprised??