Wilbon on Maryland Leaving the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wilbon on Maryland Leaving the ACC

It makes you wonder if all the "insiders" and kooks on the WVU message boards were/are paid to spread misinformation to try to destabilize the ACC as well as praise the Big 12 move.

When it was first happening I dismissed it but with the new information coming out about UMD doing it I wouldn't put it past them.

I think those WVU kooks are just kooks. They do it all for free.

Well, a couple of them like AtomicNoodle (aka The Dude) have attempted to capitalize by starting up internet radio shows and the like, but they've been fairly open about it.

I have agreed with your position. I wonder how Maryland is going to come up with the $50M exit fee. And if they can't, then what happens? I still believe there is a small chance they remain, because the ACC is running out the clock on the lawsuit. Could the ACC get an injunction to prevent Maryland from playing any Big 10 games until the exit fee is paid?

I don't think anyone knows where the ACC v. Maryland lawsuit will end up. Maryland will pay the ACC something between the old contract amount and the new contract amount of $5o Million.

I've been reading opinions from lawyers on these forums for years about these lawsuits and lots of their supposedly learned opinions have proven to be wrong.

Remember the lawsuit filed by UConn, Pitt, WVU and others against the ACC in 2003 when they took Miami, VT and BC? Lots of lawyers on these boards said the suit was a good idea, a clear winner, etc

It ended up with BC paying the amount that was in the Big East contract ($1M?) and with the BE schools stuck with the huge legal bills they had run up using Wall St law firms that are THE most expensive in the world. (Cleary, Gottleib?)

If the amount Maryland has to pay is fifty cents, they don't have it and will have to increase the money they "borrow" from the University.

If this cable billing scheme of the B1G doesn't work out then the B1G's annexation of RU and UM will be one of the dumbest moves ever in sports.

Maryland's fans, alumni, and students are overwhelmingly against the move to the Big 10. Overwhelmingly

That's because it's a Jack Donkey move!

Oh please, how can you put a price on the allure of a trip to Piscataway.

Hey, I lived in Pscataway! Four Seasons Thai Restaurant!! Noodles so hot smoke will come out your ears!!

If this cable billing scheme of the B1G doesn't work out then the B1G's annexation of RU and UM will be one of the dumbest moves ever in sports.
This is my prediction.

Hey, I lived in Pscataway! Four Seasons Thai Restaurant!! Noodles so hot smoke will come out your ears!!

When did Rutgers move to Piscataway?

As far as I know the address of the main administrative building (Their Hall of Languages) is in New Brunswick, NJ.

I don't blame them for wishing the school was not in New Brunswick --- a typical NJ shxthole of a city overrun with crime, drugs, welfare dependency and AIDS. (Picture Camden, Trenton, Newark, etc)

Having some parking lots outside of New Brunswick does not mean the school isn't there.

maryland jumped into a sinking boat from one that just stabilized -

the big is a dieing league based on population shifts - while the acc is growing-
the money made from the big compared to whats projected from the growing acc will turn out to be minimal when travel and loss of fan base are added in imho-

joisey state did what they had too because the aac sucks - and they were only offered because of tv sets not athletic department trophy's -

the big watered down its product when it should have made it stronger -
I believe the B1G is paying Maryland's travel costs for the first 10 years. Rutgers didn't get that perk.

Gotta remember that both B1G Network and YES are owned by Rupert Murdoch (I think). At least in NYC, they are going to tie in the two networks on the same package.

Forcing New Yorkers to choose against the Yankees is a difficult proposition.

I don't think anyone knows where the ACC v. Maryland lawsuit will end up. Maryland will pay the ACC something between the old contract amount and the new contract amount of $5o Million.

I've been reading opinions from lawyers on these forums for years about these lawsuits and lots of their supposedly learned opinions have proven to be wrong.

Remember the lawsuit filed by UConn, Pitt, WVU and others against the ACC in 2003 when they took Miami, VT and BC? Lots of lawyers on these boards said the suit was a good idea, a clear winner, etc

It ended up with BC paying the amount that was in the Big East contract ($1M?) and with the BE schools stuck with the huge legal bills they had run up using Wall St law firms that are THE most expensive in the world. (Cleary, Gottleib?)

If the amount Maryland has to pay is fifty cents, they don't have it and will have to increase the money they "borrow" from the University.

This lawyer said the 2003 lawsuit was a dumb idea and was glad Syracuse didn't join it when we were left at the altar. I would not dismiss the possibility that UConn leading the litigation charge is a big part of keeping them out of consideration for the ACC. I know companies that act that way by refusing to ever hire law firms that have sued them. OIt has a nice deterrent effect.

This lawyer said the 2003 lawsuit was a dumb idea and was glad Syracuse didn't join it when we were left at the altar. I would not dismiss the possibility that UConn leading the litigation charge is a big part of keeping them out of consideration for the ACC. I know companies thtat act that way by refusing to ever hire law firms that have sued them. OIt has a nice deterrent effect.

I suspect that when you not only sue the conference and the schools and name specific people in the suit (Like BC's Fr. Leahy) it just might piss them off enough to hold it against you at some point in the future.

A point made to me at that time by a Hopkins administrator was that universities suing one another was never, ever done. It was almost unprecedented. But UConn et al led by the headline seeking CT AG couldn't help themselves.

SU had the good sense to do nothing. Although Shaw and some others should have had the good sense to keep their mouths shut more than they did.

The guys at Cleary. Gottleib had to be overjoyed when these Universities showed up worried out of their minds. I'll guarantee you no one ever asked, "How much is this going to cost?"

Last edited:
Rutgers didn't get that perk.
They didn't think to ask for it.

Smart of UMD to ask... "Until we're 'equal partners', could you help us with our added travel costs? Without it there's no real financial improvement which may jeopardize our move."

Pernetti was more macho "we didn't need that aid". Sure, Tim... just keep swiping student funds to make up the difference.

Smart of UMD to ask... "Until we're 'equal partners', could you help us with our added travel costs? Without it there's no real financial improvement which may jeopardize our move."

Pernetti was more macho "we didn't need that aid". Sure, Tim... just keep swiping student funds to make up the difference.
Actually when RU asked about it Delaney said "you should be paying us to join the B1G", so they dropped it.

Actually when RU asked about it Delaney said "you should be paying us to join the B1G", so they dropped it.

Maryland had some leverage. At least they were in a credible conference.

Rutgers had zero leverage. If they had balked at the deal, they could have been replaced with UConn in a heartbeat or a school with attractive athletics.

And keep in mind, because Rutgers has been running been running $26M in the red for year, it'll take years of more money in the B1G to get them to "break even".

Maryland had some leverage. At least they were in a credible conference.

Rutgers had zero leverage. If they had balked at the deal, they could have been replaced with UConn in a heartbeat or a school with attractive athletics.

And keep in mind, because Rutgers has been running been running $26M in the red for year, it'll take years of more money in the B1G to get them to "break even".
Especially since, I believe, they don't get a full share for several years.

This lawyer said the 2003 lawsuit was a dumb idea and was glad Syracuse didn't join it when we were left at the altar. I would not dismiss the possibility that UConn leading the litigation charge is a big part of keeping them out of consideration for the ACC. I know companies that act that way by refusing to ever hire law firms that have sued them. OIt has a nice deterrent effect.

This lawyer just said UConn was dumb. I stopped after that. Nothing more than that ever needs to be said.

Thank you, Michael Wilbon. I feel the same way about SU in the ACC.

Christie will just tax a bridge crossing to cover the costs or divert some Sandy funds and be the hero

Gotta remember that both B1G Network and YES are owned by Rupert Murdoch (I think). At least in NYC, they are going to tie in the two networks on the same package.

yes is basic digital cable in nyc. cant see that changing.

I have agreed with your position. I wonder how Maryland is going to come up with the $50M exit fee. And if they can't, then what happens? I still believe there is a small chance they remain, because the ACC is running out the clock on the lawsuit. Could the ACC get an injunction to prevent Maryland from playing any Big 10 games until the exit fee is paid?

The ACC has withheld all monies due to UMd from the conference (TV money, NCAA shares, etc.) in anticipation of judgement against UMd in the NC court. Once the exit fee is set by the court, the ACC will give any overage on the withheld funds to UMd.

YES is owned by the Yankees.

YES is owned by the Yankees.
Just over a year ago, News Corp purchased a 49% share of YES and has the rights to increase that to 80%.
News Corp's share is managed by its 21st Century Fox subsidiary.

Just over a year ago, News Corp purchased a 49% share of YES and has the rights to increase that to 80%.
News Corp's share is managed by its 21st Century Fox subsidiary.

Didn't realize that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom