Wildhack on Orange Nation | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack on Orange Nation

Bill Simmons seems to loathe Wildhack too. Not sure why and only see the ESPN palace intrigue through the books written but i've heard through the grapevine that he'd be loving any negative Wildhack buzz
I can explain that one.

Simmons was the golden child of a set of ESPN executives (including John Skipper and John Walsh). Bill was essentially given carte blanche to do what he wanted -- hire for Grantland, make 30 for 30s, etc. All while not doing anything to generate ad revenue (he famously would not do live reads on his podcast, nor would he engage with ad sales clients). [side note: it cracks me up to hear his litany of live reads for The Ringer podcasts these days, guess making money isn't some affront to his sensibilities now]

Needless to say, a lot of people resented all that. Wildhack ran the TV production and programming teams, which was loaded with people who resented Bill's treatment. I'm sure JW represented that POV to Skipper, and that got back to Simmons, who is notoriously thin-skinned (and I have the old emails to prove it).

So that's that.

I don’t know the etiquette around this in college athletics - but in other businesses you’d already have a firm starting to discreetly search and gauge interest of potential candidates. That’s part of why I cannot see Dino getting fired until after six wins is mathematically impossible - we don’t need to wait for a firing to unofficially start a coaching search.

And I doubt any national narrative is going to be created either way - but the potential exists that the narrative will be “can you believe Syracuse, which has been mostly a dumpster fire for two decades - fired a coach that had a chance to get to a bowl this year? What a bunch of dopes!” if we fired Dino before loss #7.

A very doubtful narrative IMO. If there's any national narrative at all, considering our already incredibly low relevance on the national stage, it is far more probable to be, "it's about time!" What other P5 level program would wait this long at 0-5/19-44 in year EIGHT when the writing has been on the wall for sometime. "What a bunch of dopes!"

I can explain that one.

Simmons was the golden child of a set of ESPN executives (including John Skipper and John Walsh). Bill was essentially given carte blanche to do what he wanted -- hire for Grantland, make 30 for 30s, etc. All while not doing anything to generate ad revenue (he famously would not do live reads on his podcast, nor would he engage with ad sales clients). [side note: it cracks me up to hear his litany of live reads for The Ringer podcasts these days, guess making money isn't some affront to his sensibilities now]

Needless to say, a lot of people resented all that. Wildhack ran the TV production and programming teams, which was loaded with people who resented Bill's treatment. I'm sure JW represented that POV to Skipper, and that got back to Simmons, who is notoriously thin-skinned (and I have the old emails to prove it).

So that's that.

definitely an axe to grind (pun intended).

I would surmise that Bill is a heavy handed know it all who brought ALOT of revenue to ESPN and wanted it done his way. He probably had an agent telling him that he's always right and grossly underpaid so don't do an ounce of more ad reading until you get yours. Wildhack probably did push back and Bill prob had zero respect for a guy who was in his way.

I would surmise that Bill is a heavy handed know it all who brought ALOT of revenue to ESPN and wanted it done his way. He probably had an agent telling him that he's always right and grossly underpaid so don't do an ounce of more ad reading until you get yours. Wildhack probably did push back and Bill prob had zero respect for a guy who was in his way.
Bill didn't bring much revenue to ESPN. He wouldn't engage with his sponsors (and then griped that he didn't have sponsors) and wouldn't do live reads on his podcasts. He was also paid handsomely.

Bill is very talented, and by all accounts, treats his staff very well.

Bill is also an only child, of divorce, who grew up attending elite New England prep schools. He acts like you'd expect.

Last edited:
Hopefully we get to play in a lot of torrential rainstorms when we play top teams, since that might keep your interest longer then. That was the only reason that game wasn’t a halftime blowout on the scoreboard (although it was in reality).
I don’t even remember it raining so it couldn’t have been that bad.

Edit
Found the game on YouTube and skipped around. Didn’t see it rain.

Last edited:
What are you talking about?

We fired Robinson w two games to go
I think shafer was alerted before last game

We let them finish the season which I’m fine with but we do fire in season. Diff here is we could do it with 3 games to go if we got smoked
Congrats, you just named 2 of the worst coaches in SUfb history as examples. Shafer and Gerg accomplished nowhere near as much as Dino has. Gerg never sniffed a winning season and Shafer was basically clueless.
Say what you want about Dino but he's been great PR, with a couple of good seasons thrown in. He's a genuinely good dude, and yes, he's done enough to deserve better.
Wildhack is no fool. Maybe behind the scenes he gives him the kiss of death, but he's not publicly canning Dino until all bets are off, ie; 10 pts plus losses to everyone left, and no bowl possiblity. JMHO

Last edited:
Should a coach be fired after a bowl game?

Should a coach be fired before a bowl game?

Should a coach be fired during the regular season?
Preferably B or C.

He knows it's not good - it's why i take all these things with a grain of salt. Most of the stuff said is fluff or insulting to our intelligence as fans.
Reminds of the instances where Cashman, Lon Trost, or Randy Levine would go do the excuse interview on the company radio station (WFAN).

Total guess but I would not be surprised to see Dino get a soft landing with some TV gigs, heck there are plenty of games to call and talk about.
That would be good for him. I thought he did a good job when ESPN did those film room alternate broadcasts of the CFP title game.

Bill didn't bring much revenue to ESPN. He wouldn't engage with his sponsors (and then griped that he didn't have sponsors) and wouldn't do live reads on his podcasts. He was also paid handsomely.

Bill is very talented, and by all accounts, treats his staff very well.

Bill is also an only child, of divorce, who grew up attending elite New England prep schools. He acts like you'd expect.
9-29-22-school-ties-1.jpg

Jason Bourne, Rip, and the Whale

Congrats, you just named 2 of the worst coaches in SUfb history as examples. Shafer and Gerg accomplished nowhere near as much as Dino has. Gerg never sniffed a winning season and Shafer was basically clueless.
Say what you want about Dino but he's been great PR, with a couple of good seasons thrown in. He's a genuinely good dude, and yes, he's done enough to deserve better.
Wildhack is no fool. Maybe behind the scenes he gives him the kiss of death, but he's not publicly canning Dino until all bets are off, ie; 10 pts plus losses to everyone left, and no bowl possiblity. JMHO
I agree he's good PR and a good dude. No one w a brain would say otherwise.

I'm just countering what you said about the school firing someone before the year ends. I think it could happen.

Funny guy who got self-important going for clapter instead of laughed, stopped being funny and as a result brings nothing to the table

Funny guy who got self-important going for clapter instead of laughed, stopped being funny and as a result brings nothing to the table
I mean, he got paid like 200 mill for the Ringer by Spotify

So these comments about Simmons, even if I agree with them, aren't correct.

Simmons won. ESPN lost.

I bet Spotify lost
I never said he wasn't rich. Maybe he is a big deal to his podcast listeners
You said he brings nothing to the table.

That's a personal opinion. Market experts disagreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom