Wildhack Presser... | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser...

Syracuse Football‏ / Chris Carlson‏ / Andrew Graham‏
John Wildhack currently hosting a press conference to discuss Dino Babers’ contract extension. “Yesterday represents a commitment between Dino Babers and the University.”

Wildhack: I look forward to building on the success of the 2018 season. We’re not done.

Wildhack: extension process began in November by approaching Kent Syverud and key board members.

Verbal agreement reached 10 minutes before tip of SU-G'Town basketball game last Saturday.

Wildhack: Contract is a commitment to both parties. We did our homework on coaching market.

Wildhack, pressed on specific length of extension: "It's long-term and it's great." Says incoming recruits should expect to play all four years under Babers.

Wildhack says after last season he sensed growth from the football program, despite win-loss, and was ready to extend Babers this season.

Wildhack: No other offers or overtures extended to Dino made by other schools in last year or two, as far as my knowledge.

Wildhack: This was a very professional negotiation. We really wanted to get it done before National Signing Day. It was important to get it done before Dec. 19.

Wildhack: I think it’s important for any program, if you have the right coach, it makes the program more successful and it makes the job more appealing.

Wildhack: Contract is comprised fully of athletics funds.

Wildhack: we’ve looked to strategically invest in the program as we’ve gone. That was done in large part before the negotiations.

Wildhack stresses that even though SU won’t make the details of contract public there is a “commitment” between the two sides.

Wildhack: We studied market extensively. We did our homework on what is fair compensation-wise.

We'll correct an earlier tweet. Wildhack said he isn't sure if any schools inquired about Babers over last year or two. "He never called me and said, 'I got a call from so-and-so.' "

Last edited:
Using only athletic funds, hmmm. So, no need to get the salary from any of our partnerships or boosters? I think that's very interesting and different than other schools, unless "athletic funds" includes those sources of revenue.

Nothing about the assistants?

Using only athletic funds, hmmm. So, no need to get the salary from any of our partnerships or boosters? I think that's very interesting and different than other schools, unless "athletic funds" includes those sources of revenue.

Could also be tricky wording. He said last week he had access to some booster money. If someone donates to the football program specifically, would those funds be considered “athletic funds”. Doesn’t matter as long as Babers is happy.

Assistants are going to need to get paid too. Wish that we retained Lewis. I like Lynch, but Lewis was a superior recruiter and play-caller IMO.

Could also be tricky wording. He said last week he had access to some booster money. If someone donates to the football program specifically, would those funds be considered “athletic funds”. Doesn’t matter as long as Babers is happy.
Yes. At least that’s the way it is at other institutions.

There is a Football Coach's fund to donate to. Increasingly common. I think endowment revenue is probably included in his definition of Athletics funds.

Assistants are going to need to get paid too. Wish that we retained Lewis. I like Lynch, but Lewis was a superior recruiter and play-caller IMO.

It's not that easy to retain staff who are offered head coaching positions, even in the MAC. I guess everybody's got a price (for the Million Dollar Man) but there are a lot of top coaches who cut their teeth at MAC jobs (Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, ahem Dino Babers).

True, all money that funnels in would be "athletic funds"

I'd bet though, that Wildhack is really referring to non-donation revenue streams, and is including the additional ACC Network money that we don't yet receive.

True, all money that funnels in would be "athletic funds"

I'd bet though, that Wildhack is really referring to non-donation revenue streams, and is including the additional ACC Network money that we don't yet receive.

That's kind of how I took it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom