Will Battle be back next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Battle be back next year?

Yeah because he’ll have his degree it’s not even a question.

We start next year with Goodine and Carey as the starting backcourt. Definitely a change of scenery; dynamic and explosive
Neither are point guards, which has been our problem.

the winds of change tell me he will stay where he is, remain Orange and become a better pro prospect.

Why would he stay when he’ll only have one or two classes left to get his degree? He can do those in the summer and then get paid to play basketball.

I mean anything is possible, but why go somewhere else and continue to play for free?

If UW gets Stewart, maybe he goes and joins Hop, Stewart and Quade?

I feel bad for Battle. He should have went to Michigan...

He's not a good enough shooter to play guard for Beilein. He would have made him a forward.

Battle isn’t going to graf transfer somewhere else and all of a sudden play his way into the first round

Haven’t the announcers been saying he’s either 6 credits or 6 courses short of graduating this semester?

If that’s the case, he wouldn’t be grad transferring elsewhere unless he takes those credits over the summer, which I doubt he would since he’ll be testing the NBA draft waters again (plus I don’t think he’d leave Syracuse as a grad transfer if he does return). I also don’t know if having a few courses left would be enough incentive for him to come back for a full year.

It’s common for us to talk about guys who should have stayed one or two more seasons before jumping to the NBA, but Tyus’ draft stock may have been highest after his freshman year. His limiting factor for scouts is his 3pt% which has decreased each season so far. He could resolidify himself as an NBA prospect by coming back one more season if his 3pt% goes up. But other than that, he’s pretty much a known commodity for scouts at this point. He’s a score-first type player, but obviously wouldn’t be a teams top scoring option in the NBA.

Tyus conceivably could do a grad transfer year at another program?
He could actually find a school that has a point guard and a post player to play with. It would change his game for the better.

He could actually find a school that has a point guard and a post player to play with. It would change his game for the better.
I think one of Tyus' main problem is his inability to pass. He got a rebound and started driving up the court in the second half. Marek was way ahead of the pack and would have had an easy dunk. Not sure Tyus even bothered to look.

Last edited:
He's not a good enough shooter to play guard for Beilein. He would have made him a forward.
Or maybe they would have improved his shot. I don't feel like we improve enough players here. YES , there are some solid examples but overall way too many players underperform. People like to bring up players like Rak, but remember save for a the best senior season in JBs tenure, he was a bust up until that point and surprised everyone. For every Rak and Sekiely, Ill show you a roberson and watkins.

Battle isn’t going to graf transfer somewhere else and all of a sudden play his way into the first better chance at a national championship. round

That’s not the reason to grad transfer. He might grad transfer somewhere and play himself into a better shot at a National Championship.

I think one of Tyus' main problem is his inability to pass. He got a rebound and started driving up the court on the second half. Marek was way ahead of the pack and would have had an easy dunk. Not sure Tyus even bothered to look.

Yup. Tyus' "shooting" ability is greatly underestimated here. He can hit open shots. He can get his own shot. Everyone's ability to shoot goes down when you are playing 2 or 3 on 5.

The problem is that in 3 years, he has never shown the slightest ability to make other players better. For a real athletic thoroughbred, he is terrible/clueless on the break. He doesnt drive and dish. He doesnt rebound. He's a one-tool kid. (He does defend ok)

Now, on the more talented teams we had, he would be an offensive juggernaut and would be a vital piece of the puzzle. But he needs to do more for this team to be successful, and his game just is not rounded enough.

Haven’t the announcers been saying he’s either 6 credits or 6 courses short of graduating this semester?

If that’s the case, he wouldn’t be grad transferring elsewhere unless he takes those credits over the summer, which I doubt he would since he’ll be testing the NBA draft waters again (plus I don’t think he’d leave Syracuse as a grad transfer if he does return). I also don’t know if having a few courses left would be enough incentive for him to come back for a full year.

It’s common for us to talk about guys who should have stayed one or two more seasons before jumping to the NBA, but Tyus’ draft stock may have been highest after his freshman year. His limiting factor for scouts is his 3pt% which has decreased each season so far. He could resolidify himself as an NBA prospect by coming back one more season if his 3pt% goes up. But other than that, he’s pretty much a known commodity for scouts at this point. He’s a score-first type player, but obviously wouldn’t be a teams top scoring option in the NBA.

It’s six credits, which is two classes. He can take those over the summer and get his degree.

Or maybe they would have improved his shot. I don't feel like we improve enough players here. YES , there are some solid examples but overall way too many players underperform. People like to bring up players like Rak, but remember save for a the best senior season in JBs tenure, he was a bust up until that point and surprised everyone. For every Rak and Sekiely, Ill show you a roberson and watkins.
Watkins was one of the players the staff did not maximize. He should have applied for a medical for the thumb. He was rounding into a beast that last year. One more season and I think we would have seen great things like rak his senior/post grad year.

So far this year has hurt Tyus in the NBA draft. Last year, in a strong draft year, he would have been a late 1st round, early 2nd round draftee if I remember the mock drafts correctly. He has disappeared from most mock drafts this year. With that said, I have the feeling that he will leave after this year. It does not look like SU will be any more of a contender next year as it will be this year.

1. how does he improve passing? isn't that kind of an innate thing? have any notable players ever become good passers after not being good at it?

2. My take is that he has been told by NBA to increase efficiency. So his answer to that was practice his 3's. when they havent been falling early half of season (i think he is pressing too hard and not zen while shooting 3s) his response was to only shoot 2s...which lead to some good games (that 8 for 8 comes to mind). But he has to shoot 3s - the shooting gaurd of the team cannot just pass up wide open 3s (as he has been doing lately)...when he does shoot 3s - his mind and body arent in it - it's like he's doing it against his will - and he's missing a lot. on top of that, he often gets fouled and has had a few of those per game recently and seems to get emotional about it (understandably)...gotta find a way to brush that off and keep chugging.

maybe he doesnt want to shoot any 3s but has been told to shoot them and there is friction around that?
IDK

whatever the case - he's gotta feel free out there and WANT every shot he takes - even if it is a three. His % will always be low on shots he doesnt WANT to take.

At this point - not sure how he is going to make the improvements necessary to get back into the 1st round - would be cool if he came back next year - but not sure it would really do anything to change his stock.

He's gotta find a way to improve his weaknesses - it is definitely possible - he has a lot of good parts to his game - but he seems to have plateaued for some reason - i think he's just pressing and so focused on his NBA dreams that he isn't "in the moment" enough out there - just speculating though.

Yup. Tyus' "shooting" ability is greatly underestimated here. He can hit open shots. He can get his own shot. Everyone's ability to shoot goes down when you are playing 2 or 3 on 5.

The problem is that in 3 years, he has never shown the slightest ability to make other players better. For a real athletic thoroughbred, he is terrible/clueless on the break. He doesnt drive and dish. He doesnt rebound. He's a one-tool kid. (He does defend ok)

Now, on the more talented teams we had, he would be an offensive juggernaut and would be a vital piece of the puzzle. But he needs to do more for this team to be successful, and his game just is not rounded enough.

Excellent post.

The main thing we ask him to do is get tough buckets. And it’s all on him. We do very little to make things easier for him. Whether it is scheme or personnel. He was a much more efficient player surrounded by Lydon, Gillon, White. He needs complimentary pieces. He’s not going to dominate in our blood from a turnip offense.

“They” didn’t improve his shot? He’s not a robot.

HE didn’t improve his shot.

It’s not really a choice to be a good shooter IMO. If it was, a lot more guys would be good shooters.

Honestly, I don't really care.

This team plays some of the worst basketball of any su team I've seen in 40+ years of following the team. It's certainly not entertaining, to put it mildly.

If some of these players want to leave, ok, don't let the door hit you on the way out... I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it...

He spends way too much time on the floor looking for fouls and not running back on D. He is a horrible facilitator who has been asked to be an Alpha scorer in a bad system. He has to be frustrated, but he's not improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom