Will Baye Moussa Keita ever be a Starter? | Syracusefan.com

Will Baye Moussa Keita ever be a Starter?

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
I feel that this year Baye Moussa keita will behind Fab and the same with the following year. Then in his senior year depending on who we get Baye may not start his senior year as well. If this happens hell be the best sixth man in Syracuse history.

Probably not, but I think he will be an important player all four seasons he is here.

We've typically been at our best when we've had a solid center coming off the bench. See: Reafsnyder, JB and McNeil, Jeremy, for example. Went to the championship game with each of them.

So while BMK may never start, he will definitely be an important cog.

If he stays 4 years I believe there is a chance he starts in his senior year. DC2 is not going to stay around for more than 2; Rak won't stay around for more than 2; and Fab, if he blows up this year won't be around either. This is, of course, dependent on whether these kids live up to their reported potential ... I say that before I get jumped all over.

I doubt Baye ever starts over the course of a full season, but that's just fine with me because it means...

1. We have a great big man off the bench that can play both 4 and 5, still playing a lot of minutes, and able to defend, rebound, and eventually even score a bit.

2. Insurance against one of our bigs getting hurt or jumping to the draft earlier than expected.

3. A great practice player who not only helps the other guys improve during scrimmages, but also pushes them to stay focused night in and night out.

4. An additional 5 fouls to give before the opposition is able to get an advantage on our bigs, but perhaps even more important, the team knows we have a solid replacement and the starters can continue to play aggressively even if they do pick up a cheap one.

5. Another tremendous project/role recruit that JB played like a fiddle. Bringing in a guy that likely wouldn't be assuming a star's treatment, but still possessing the skills to make an impact of his own.

I thought he was pretty darn impressive as a frosh big man...with an injured hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be better than some people think.

from Marquette on, if I recall. My point was he has already been a starter at SU

I think the question was really, "...from this point forward."

The answer is yes. He plays this Year, and if Melo and rak comes back Which I think they will he red shirts to make room for DC and starts his 5th Year. If we start losing big men early he starts his senior year.

good shot senior year to be the man...Fab gone...DC2 gone...Christmas gone...Keita should have his start then...however; he has been a starter already...like the last 1/3 of last season

good shot senior year to be the man...Fab gone...DC2 gone...Christmas gone...Keita should have his start then...however; he has been a starter already...like the last 1/3 of last season

I think we can all assume that OP means flat out, number one on the depth-chart, full season starter.

At Syracuse, big men, even if they don't start, tend to get starters minutes... I think he will be a 15-20 min guy this year, and probably around that for his career. He will probably come off the bench to do that, baring a bunch of early departures from the guys ahead of him.

This is a trick question because it comes down to the tendencies of our head coach. Last year, Fab was the starter nominally; Baye typically got more minutes. JB is not the sort to change up his starting line-up.
Ask a new question: will Baye be more effective than Fab? who plays when the game is on the line?

We have similar questions in other positions: Brandon/Dion; Rak/CJ. Easy to guess who the starters will be. When we are playing UConn, or Louisville, or Pitt, who gets more crucial minutes in the second half?

if he is a starter in any of his 4 years it is probably not a good sign for the team, because as the backup that means guys like Fab/Coleman(Noel?) are playing well, but most likely he will never be the game 1 starter on this team

also like others have hinted at, his skill set is perfect for the backup role, great D, rebounding, and energy off the bench

I feel that this year Baye Moussa keita will behind Fab and the same with the following year. Then in his senior year depending on who we get Baye may not start his senior year as well. If this happens hell be the best sixth man in Syracuse history.

Yes, I think he starts his senior yr, and maybe this season.

I think a lot of people are selling Baye short. He's a smart, aggressive player. I think he will get his fair share of playing time while he is here. How many starts that translates into - I won't even fathom a guess.

I think a lot of people are selling Baye short. He's a smart, aggressive player. I think he will get his fair share of playing time while he is here. How many starts that translates into - I won't even fathom a guess.

No one is selling him short, this thread is specifically about him starting

I don't think it's selling him short to say that he's an ideal big man to come off the bench. He's a huge spark of energy, and a guy who isn't afraid throw himself on the floor after a loose ball and mix it up, and he runs like a deer. He'll be a great role player for as long as he's here.

I don't think it's selling him short to say that he's an ideal big man to come off the bench. He's a huge spark of energy, and a guy who isn't afraid throw himself on the floor after a loose ball and mix it up, and he runs like a deer. He'll be a great role player for as long as he's here.
bingo

True, if what you mean by "role player" is a guy like Kris or Scoop with the 2009-10 team. Often those guys were more effective than the guys they subbed for -- and we often said we had seven "starters" on that team. Other times, the idea of a role player is Fab Melo last year -- started, got a few minutes, that was his role. Or James Southerland -- his role was to take some shots but he wasn't someone you depended every game. For Keita, my guess is his role is to split time with Melo.

To me, labeling the guy as a four year "role player" after one season is selling him short.

I think asking for a black or white answer is similar to some of the less than intelligent questions those talking head idiot TV sports shows seem to like to ask.."Did Cruz lose Texas the WS by not catching that ball?"

Some people like to answer those types of questions definitively..others think questions like that and 'Will Keita ever start.' deserve more than a yes/no answer.

If you want a yes/no answer put up a poll.