Will Bazely Get Drafted? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Will Bazely Get Drafted?

Does it really matter if they go to the "straight to pro ball or 2/3 years in college model"? It seems inevitable. If that's Silvers end game, Bazley doesn't mean as much.

Only difference is under that scenario he'd be drafted by a team and they'd have vested interest in his development as opposed to now where some G-League program has to develop some random kid, quite possibly, for another organization to draft.
I don't know why people keep thinking the NBA is going to adopt the baseball model. Why is that inevitable? Why does that make sense for them?

He has a lot of potential to tank his stock if he performs poorly. His camp did him a disservice. He was going to start from scratch at the college level because people are quicker and stronger. Now he's heading right into the pros where some of the best guys who can't get into the league are waiting. He'll have one hell of an adjustment period. It isn't just his lack of strength that is going to be a work in progress.

You can search my post history and see where I told people they need to relax with the hyperbole. He's not Carmelo. He's not the athlete Donte Greene was. He was a highly rated recruit that would have been an excellent complementary piece to the zone. Being a McDonald's All American doesn't mean you're a pro anymore. We've seen a number of McD AAs flop at the college level or be outright busts in the NBA.

Exactly. Greene was more ready for college than Bazely IMO and I fully realize Bazely has way more all around talent and potential. This screams disaster and basketball vagabond all over it. I mean take a look at the D-League All-Stars who are forwards. They will kill him. Corey Jefferson, Jakarr Sampson, Johnny O’Bryant, Jalen Jones (the guy we had trouble with in the Bahamas on aTm), Poythress! I wonder if he has the drive to hit the weights and keep working on his game.

Fwiw, someone wrote yesterday that almost 1/3 of the NBA players have spent time in the G/D league.

Every "objective" long term view?

Let's see...he can start learning pro-style offense and defensive rotations playing with and against players who are all good enough to be competing to make an NBA roster. And he can do so with NBA level resources and without any NCAA restrictions on practice time, benefits, endorsements or income.

Teams draft on potential, not current skill / experience. Learning a pro style offense is a skill he would learn in the G league and that would raise his value approximately zero percent in the eyes of NBA GM's.

I don't know why people keep thinking the NBA is going to adopt the baseball model. Why is that inevitable? Why does that make sense for them?

You cannot even begin to draw comparisons between baseball and basketball. The system works for baseball because if you choose to go college and have to stay there three years, it hardly even changes your ETA to the big leagues relative to being drafted and signed right out of high school. High school kids will go to rookie ball, short season A, low A, High A, double AA, maybe AAA, maybe skip it...and this takes YEARS. the kid that goes to college for three years gets drafted in june, and plays a few weeks at some A ball level, but by year two are generally in high A...and get to double AA soon thereafter (if they progress). In other words, you are just trading minor league years for college years...

with basketball, if you are a legit pro prospect, you can get drafted out of high school and make an NBA roster relatively quickly if you are a first round level talent. going to school for two or three years sure as hell changes your ETA to the league.

You cannot even begin to draw comparisons between baseball and basketball. The system works for baseball because if you choose to go college and have to stay there three years, it hardly even changes your ETA to the big leagues relative to being drafted and signed right out of high school. High school kids will go to rookie ball, short season A, low A, High A, double AA, maybe AAA, maybe skip it...and this takes YEARS. the kid that goes to college for three years gets drafted in june, and plays a few weeks at some A ball level, but by year two are generally in high A...and get to double AA soon thereafter (if they progress). In other words, you are just trading minor league years for college years...

with basketball, if you are a legit pro prospect, you can get drafted out of high school and make an NBA roster relatively quickly if you are a first round level talent. going to school for two or three years sure as hell changes your ETA to the league.
Yeah it just boggles my mind to think that people are trying to talk themselves into the NBA behaving like MLB. I just don't see it happening.

It also is funny to me that people cite that as the ideal model, and yet, the audience for college baseball is next to nothing compared to the audience for college hoops. If it works so well, why isn't that sport more popular?

Teams draft on potential, not current skill / experience. Learning a pro style offense is a skill he would learn in the G league and that would raise his value approximately zero percent in the eyes of NBA GM's.

Your take is that there is "zero" value for NBA GMs watching Bazley play for 5 months in an NBA offense while playing with and against only players who are competing for NBA roster spots while being coached by coaches hired by the NBA? Zero? Because they only draft on potential and would have 0 use for any additional information? How about the value for NBA scouts? Would watching how well he learns and plays in an NBA offense help them further evaluate his potential?

Your take is that there is "zero" value for NBA GMs watching Bazley play for 5 months in an NBA offense while playing with and against only players who are competing for NBA roster spots while being coached by coaches hired by the NBA? Zero? Because they only draft on potential and would have 0 use for any additional information? How about the value for NBA scouts? Would watching how well he learns and plays in an NBA offense help them further evaluate his potential?
Nah.;)

Reactions: 007
Nah.;)

You get it.

The thing is, I am not sure if this is ultimately the best move for Bazley or not. Yes, his decision sucks as an Orange fan. But to think Bazley is making a "hilariously bad decision" or choosing to do something that provides "zero" value before seeing it play out seems like a step to far, to me anyway. I think some of this reasoning is a projection of being hurt by his decision, as opposed to objective analysis.

The Ringer article had 38% yesterday.

That could have been it. Couldn’t remember the exact percentage just that it was in the thirties.

You get it.

The thing is, I am not sure if this is ultimately the best move for Bazley or not. Yes, his decision sucks as an Orange fan. But to think Bazley is making a "hilariously bad decision" or choosing to do something that provides "zero" value before seeing it play out seems like a step to far, to me anyway. I think some of this reasoning is a projection of being hurt by his decision, as opposed to objective analysis.
Yeah, definitely emotional reactions.

A lot remains to be seen. Things could work out great for him. Might be a train wreck.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out down the road that he's getting way more money than people are thinking for this.

In the G League draft? Steve Kyler, some NBA writer with G League knowledge was just on Axe. He said the following:

- Bazely may not get drafted in the G League draft as teams generally draft guys who will be around for a few years. They also may not want to devote resources to a guy that will likely be with another franchise in a year.

- G League execs he has spoken to are basically unsure of how they will handle this situation.

- If he is drafted and on a team, he will have to earn every minute of playing time. Again, they have no vested interest in developing him. And there will be multiple players ahead of him that they do want to develop. He won’t be given any favorable treatment.

- It’s going to be hard for him to earn playing time anyway due to the age, physicality, size and skill of the players he will compete with. They will have zero empathy or patience for his situation.

I know Bazely said he’s super mature cause he doesn’t party and really likes basketball. Perhaps the mature thing would have been for him or his handlers to do their due diligence. This may be one man’s opinion but it certainly seemed like an educated one. Bazely is brazenly venturing into the unknown. I wonder if he knows that.

I have yet to hear anyone who really knows what they are talking about call this a smart move.

One of the biggest issues cited will be his inability to compete physically...and lack of opportunity to show nba GMs that he can play.

Of course they care. It's in the NBA's best interest that consensus top 10 types like Bazley are successful. Bazley's success, or lack thereof, could profoundly influence how many other top kids jump straight to the G League in the years ahead.

Maybe, just maybe, the NBA doesn't really want a bunch of 17-18 year-old kids making the jump from HS to the NBA. As the above quoted article seems to indicate, and others have mentioned in other threads, there are a whole world of problems (issues?) that nobody has really thought through. We'll see now, won't we?

Maybe, just maybe, the NBA doesn't really want a bunch of 17-18 year-old kids making the jump from HS to the NBA. As the above quoted article seems to indicate, and others have mentioned in other threads, there are a whole world of problems (issues?) that nobody has really thought through. We'll see now, won't we?

Maybe, just maybe, you should Google what some guy named Adam Silver thinks about alternatives for elite HS players, including the G league. His stated goal is to present a path to the NBA that doesn’t include college or going overseas, but provides an opportunity to earn a salary from an NBA team while developing as a basketball talent in the G League. You think that is because the NBA "doesn't really want a bunch of 17-18 year-olds making the jump from Hs to the NBA?" They do not have a plan in place to address all the variables, but to think they do not want it to happen at all is...uniformed...maybe.

Maybe, just maybe, you should Google what some guy named Adam Silver thinks about alternatives for elite HS players, including the G league. His stated goal is to present a path to the NBA that doesn’t include college or going overseas, but provides an opportunity to earn a salary from an NBA team while developing as a basketball talent in the G League. You think that is because the NBA "doesn't really want a bunch of 17-18 year-olds making the jump from Hs to the NBA?" They do not have a plan in place to address all the variables, but to think they do not want it to happen at all is...uniformed...maybe.
I think this is true in the sense that the NBA wants controllable assests. Stockpiling talent in the G league makes that business more marketable. I’m not so sure the players union wants 17 year olds drafted, because they take the place of journeyman 25 year olds and older. Out with the old in with the new, except the older players still want to collect those salaries as long as they can.

I think this is true in the sense that the NBA wants controllable assests. Stockpiling talent in the G league makes that business more marketable. I’m not so sure the players union wants 17 year olds drafted, because they take the place of journeyman 25 year olds and older. Out with the old in with the new, except the older players still want to collect those salaries as long as they can.

"Drafting" HSers is prohibited under the "one and done" rule. That rule was part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players association. Opening the G league prior to draft eligibility is a different issue, and that's what's under discussion here.

"Drafting" HSers is prohibited under the "one and done" rule. That rule was part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players association. Opening the G league prior to draft eligibility is a different issue, and that's what's under discussion here.
Yes, I understand. You went after the post above which noted early entry of 17-18 year olds. As I am sure you are aware, a change to bring back early entry is likely. My response was in essence saying that the NBA couldn’t care less about the NCAA. A compromise that could be made between the owners and players union would open up the chance for the top kids to go straight to the league and be stashed in the g league, as you noted. My thought is that I think Adam Silver would rather these kids be in the g league than college.