Will Coach P get fired if Uconn Loses? nm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Coach P get fired if Uconn Loses? nm

Late 60s??? P is 63 years old. Physically he is at least 10 years younger.

His offense stinks but that isn't because he is in his "late 60s."

My bad. They hired a guy in his early 60s who had been out of the college game for 7 years. :)

I disagree about the OL and the defense. Both were getting better by the end of the 2004 season.

Ray Rice would have joined CB Courtney Greene.

And he would have joined guys like Steve Gregory(NFL), Jameel McClain (NFL), Ryan LaCasse (NFL) James Wyche (NFL) Kelvin Smith, Tanard Jackson (NFL), Dowayne Davis (NFL), Joe Fields (NFL), Joe Kowalewski (NFL), Jerry Mackey (NFL?) , Jason Greene, Quinn Ojinaka (NFL), Steve Franklin, Damien Rhodes, Brendan Carney and soph QB Perry Patterson - who set a completions record in 2004 - as well as other players returning from the Champs Bowl team.

I agree that team needed a WR - Rice Moss and some others might have helped but that was a weak area no doubt.

One, a lot of those guys were in the senior class which was admittedly good. Second, most of those guys, no matter how you listed them, never played a down in the NFL. Third, you 100% sure Rice would have been here in the end even with P? There wad a LOT of pressure on him NOT to come here even before P was let go.

If you want to see reality, copy and paste P's last 3 recruiting classes here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

One, a lot of those guys were in the senior class which was admittedly good. Second, most of those guys, no matter how you listed them, never played a down in the NFL. Third, you 100% sure Rice would have been here in the end even with P? There wad a LOT of pressure on him NOT to come here even before P was let go.

If you want to see reality, copy and paste P's last 3 recruiting classes here.

Did the AstroTurf, no weight room and otherwise lousy facilities impact recruiting?

Of course they did.

Even with the improvements made after P was fired our facilities had and still have negative impact.

You mentioned Cecil. That same class had Gregory, Wyche, LaCasse and others.

Sweet Lord, who cares, haven't we debated this 14 million times already?!

How is UConn's recruiting now? They have all sorts of spiffy new facilities, right?

One, a lot of those guys were in the senior class which was admittedly good. Second, most of those guys, no matter how you listed them, never played a down in the NFL.

If they're not on a 53 man roster they weren't in the NFL. IMO practice squad doesn't count.

P is a good defensive coach. Head coach? Recruiter? Not so sure. Did you see the end of the UCONN/Louisville game? Overtime. Big win on the road. Players are excited for the win after a hard year. P is congratulated not with a gatorade bath but a handshake. By the state trooper standing next to him. Not a player in sight. Doug gets gatorade baths for beating Temple.

P is a good defensive coach. Head coach? Recruiter? Not so sure. Did you see the end of the UCONN/Louisville game? Overtime. Big win on the road. Players are excited for the win after a hard year. P is congratulated not with a gatorade bath but a handshake. By the state trooper standing next to him. Not a player in sight. Doug gets gatorade baths for beating Temple.

I stopped reading when you questioned Coach P as a head coach. Seriously guy? No way you can be taken seriously on this board with that statement.

Right now...right now, if you took Coach P and put him in Gene Chizik's old spot at Auburn, I guarantee he could get 8 wins out of that team.

Coach P is not a good recruiter, we've beaten this topic to death over the years. However, give him a Trooper Taylor and Curtis Lupar (NCAA investigation aside) to do his recruiting for him, Coach P gets Auburn to a bowl game with 8 wins this year.

I stopped reading when you questioned Coach P as a head coach. Seriously guy? No way you can be taken seriously on this board with that statement.

Right now...right now, if you took Coach P and put him in Gene Chizik's old spot at Auburn, I guarantee he could get 8 wins out of that team.

Coach P is not a good recruiter, we've beaten this topic to death over the years. However, give him a Trooper Taylor and Curtis Lupar (NCAA investigation aside) to do his recruiting for him, Coach P gets Auburn to a bowl game with 8 wins this year.

I guess that is why he did such a good job the year he was fired by getting blown out by Purdue and Georgia Tech. Or why his best seasons in the late 90s with a core of McNabb, T. Jones, Bullock, Greenwood, Darius, and Kevin Johnson had 9 wins as their best season. My bad.

I guess that is why he did such a good job the year he was fired by getting blown out by Purdue and Georgia Tech. Or why his best seasons in the late 90s with a core of McNabb, T. Jones, Bullock, Greenwood, Darius, and Kevin Johnson had 9 wins as their best season. My bad.

Thanks for reiterating my point. If he has the talent, he can coach it and do a decent job. Hence why he has over 100 wins as a HC.

His problem, which we agree on, is that he couldn't recruit. See his last 3 recruiting classes at Syracuse as a reference. This lack of talent became abundantly clear in 2004 and the Purdue/GT games were exclamation points.

I'm not saying Coach P is Saban but he sure as hell would do a much better job at Auburn with those recruiters in place than Gene Chizik. I guy who had 5 TOTAL wins at D-1 level prior to Auburn job.

Thanks for reiterating my point. If he has the talent, he can coach it and do a decent job. Hence why he has over 100 wins as a HC.

His problem, which we agree on, is that he couldn't recruit. See his last 3 recruiting classes at Syracuse as a reference. This lack of talent became abundantly clear in 2004 and the Purdue/GT games were exclamation points.

I'm not saying Coach P is Saban but he sure as hell would do a much better job at Auburn with those recruiters in place than Gene Chizik. I guy who had 5 TOTAL wins at D-1 level prior to Auburn job.

My point is that he should have had better seasons with that group of players. Chizik was 8-5, 14-0, 8-5, then the 3-9 debacle. I have no idea how he got the job in the first place after his poor showing at Iowa State but it would be hard to argue with his results over a 4 year time period including one national championship and 3 bowl wins. The NC was only their second and first in the modern era. Lack of talent should get you blown out by top 10 teams but not by Purdue or Georgia Tech. IMO that comes down to coaching. Now, on the same side you could say that Auburn should not get blown out by Bama and that the coach has to better prepare you for that game, which I would agree on. P's biggest issue is his loyalty to his OC.

My point is that he should have had better seasons with that group of players. Chizik was 8-5, 14-0, 8-5, then the 3-9 debacle. I have no idea how he got the job in the first place after his poor showing at Iowa State but it would be hard to argue with his results over a 4 year time period including one national championship and 3 bowl wins. The NC was only their second and first in the modern era. Lack of talent should get you blown out by top 10 teams but not by Purdue or Georgia Tech. IMO that comes down to coaching. Now, on the same side you could say that Auburn should not get blown out by Bama and that the coach has to better prepare you for that game, which I would agree on. P's biggest issue is his loyalty to his OC.

Your initial post called into question if Coach P should be a head coach. I think that question has been answered based on his previous success. Should he have won more than 9-3 in '97 and 8-4 in '98? Absolutely. I've said on this board before, they should've gone 11-1 in '98 with that talent. However, that doesn't make him a bad coach. It just doesn't make him Urban Meyer or Nick Saban either. Bottom line, with talent, Coach P can consistently win 7-9 games a year and win the bowl game more times than not (see his bowl record). That makes him a good coach.

Your initial post called into question if Coach P should be a head coach. I think that question has been answered based on his previous success. Should he have won more than 9-3 in '97 and 8-4 in '98? Absolutely. I've said on this board before, they should've gone 11-1 in '98 with that talent. However, that doesn't make him a bad coach. It just doesn't make him Urban Meyer or Nick Saban either. Bottom line, with talent, Coach P can consistently win 7-9 games a year and win the bowl game more times than not (see his bowl record). That makes him a good coach.

I guess is this is where we would disagree then. An average coach should be able to get you to .500 with average talent. So if you recruit in the 40s to 50s, your record should be about .500 against your peers. Throw in a FCS sacrificial lamb (I know, no longer a given) and you should be about 7-5. A good coach should get you an extra 1-3 wins per year on average to the 8-4 and 9-3 range. Those were P's best years. Maybe which just define good and average a little different. Good coaches then get that occasional 11-1 year. Great coaches? Multiple Top 5 finishes. One of the other things I would tie into being a good head coach would be an ability to recruit. Which is why at the end of the day to me P is a good defense coach and an average head coach. Average isn't bad, just average.

@desmondconner
#UConn athletic director Warde Manuel confirms today Paul Pasqualoni will return for third season; promises adjustments will be made
Promises adjustments... I feel like I have heard that before.

When is that last time P adjusted? Not exactly his strong suit. Does that mean Deleone is getting the ax?

I think it means Deleone will move to defensive coordinator where he will continue to call redone plays. Kinda like he did here.

I think it means Deleone will move to defensive coordinator where he will continue to call redone plays. Kinda like he did here.

Right, LOL Deju Vu

UConn fans just had their "Get A Life Speech" not a happy place in CT right now.

ZING!

Man, the great run of news for UConn fans continues.

Ticket sales will be abysmal next year for them. It's amazing how P is dutifully replicating his last couple SU years in Storrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom