Will Fran Brown and crew be the | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Fran Brown and crew be the

Our future is either the Big 12 or a watered down ACC. Unlike the Pac, ACC has a backup plan to add teams. Will ESPN or someone else buy it?

A lot of snarky responses in this thread.

Fran called ADJW and got himself the job.

Our basketball programs been a mess. Thankfully Red’s a high energy guy who can get things back in the right direction.

I know many here love ADJW, or at least his ability to fundraise, but he’s not solidified his legacy here yet imo.
100%. People forget the JB/Hopkins mess, Scanlon, Coach Q, hanging onto Babers when most schools would have canned him at least 2 years earlier. JW has a lot of strengths(fundraising as you mentioned being a big one) but let’s see how football, Men’s hoops and Men’s Lacrosse improve(or not improve) before we deify him

Big 12 will take us

I we get "left behind" I want all the schools that were left behind to get together with a blank sheet and organize themselves into conferences that make geographic sense, not try to reinflate the balloons of the old conferences that are relics of another time. Let's put together a nice little cozy conference of teams along the east coast but north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Our basketball programs been a mess. Thankfully Red’s a high energy guy who can get things back in the right direction.

I know many here love ADJW, or at least his ability to fundraise, but he’s not solidified his legacy here yet imo.
I still give ADJW credit for Fran Brown, assuming the results on the field match what's happened so far. Even if Fran reached out, ADJW is the one who ultimately has to make the call, and there were a lot of people on this board who wouldn't have made that call based on what I remember from the initial reaction to the announcement.

I still give ADJW credit for Fran Brown, assuming the results on the field match what's happened so far. Even if Fran reached out, ADJW is the one who ultimately has to make the call, and there were a lot of people on this board who wouldn't have made that call based on what I remember from the initial reaction to the announcement.
Thats fair. ADJW will also surely take the brunt if it doesnt pan out.

My concerns basketball. The transition was rough.

It takes a big and smart man to take a call from a complete unknown when making a search for a new Head Football Coach.
None of our previous AD's would have been smart enough to take the call and act on it.

Thats fair. ADJW will also surely take the brunt if it doesnt pan out.

My concerns basketball. The transition was rough.

I think basketball would have been rough no matter who the AD was

Replacing a lifetime Syracuse person who happens to be a HOF and won a natty and brought Syracuse basketball to the level he did is not an easy task by any means.

Wildhack held on to Babers until it was more economically feasible to let him go, if you want to bash him for that, I would say bash him for the contract he gave him that tied his hands. The flip side of that is, had they not done that the fan base would have been extremely angry not to extend Dino.

As far as Olympic sport hires, let’s remind ourselves that a majority of our budget goes into Football and Men’s basketball. It’s tough to also have as much money for those sports to get high end coaches. I think given the budget limitations, he’s done okay.

If Fran Brown and Red can win and win quickly, you’ll see an upgrade in the Olympic sports as well.

The women’s Lax and Women’s bball hires were great hires.

The Q thing was tough but not sure he knew the extent of it until it was too late. Wildhack than managed that quite well and honestly kept the controversy very quiet without much national media attention at all.

He also replaced a HOF at men’s LAX and made what seems to be a solid hire for the men’s team. And certainly a very strong hire for the women’s team to replace Gait.

Overall, I would rate him very well. If he navigates conference realignment well, it could make him a legacy here.

But that’s just my personal opinion

I think basketball would have been rough no matter who the AD was

Replacing a lifetime Syracuse person who happens to be a HOF and won a natty and brought Syracuse basketball to the level he did is not an easy task by any means.
I think we're conflating two different issues - replacing a legend and rebuilding a program. The only thing that matters is the latter. If Red came in when the program was riding high 10 years ago, I think he would be in a great position to at least make a second contract. Right now his margin is really tight and it's in many ways not his fault.

I think we're conflating two different issues - replacing a legend and rebuilding a program. The only thing that matters is the latter. If Red came in when the program was riding high 10 years ago, I think he would be in a great position to at least make a second contract. Right now his margin is really tight and it's in many ways not his fault.

You may think rebuilding the program is the only thing that matters - but I think that means you massively underestimate the political challenges Wildhack faced to even get to the point rebuilding was a possibility.

JB certainly made sure to make it as difficult as he possibly could…

Back in the 90s I was reading articles in places like Sports Illustrated that Syracuse was a key piece in the college athletics landscape that both the ACC and Big Ten would die to have. But the administration back then neglected to invest in athletics (and actually plundered athletics revenues to spend elsewhere…), so we were a significantly weakened brand by the early 2000s.

The TWO and the bad Dr managed to do as much damage as they possibly could to the university as a whole, and the athletics department, especially the football program, did not escape the reverse Midas touch those two useless clowns had.

Then Mark Coyle came in, realized what a dumpster fire he’d walked into and noped out as fast as he could get his bags packed and a flight to Minnesota booked.

While Wildhack’s legacy isn’t set, I think we need to realize he willingly came to the table knowing he was starting with a ten high hand, and has at least stemmed most of the bleeding of the last three decades. I’m willing to give him a lot of leeway because leadership at SU has been an endless parade of clowns, grifters, and cowards for three decades - and JW doesn’t appear to be any of those three (despite what Dan LeBatard thinks, he’s demonstrated some strong clown and coward tendencies which may be why he hates JW so much).

If Fran Brown works out, JW deserves a ton of credit for having the courage to go off the board for that hire…even if Fran Brown doesn’t, I’ll give him credit for thinking outside the box at a time it was badly needed.

Last edited:
Back in the 90s I was reading articles in places like Sports Illustrated that Syracuse was a key piece in the college athletics landscape that both the ACC and Big Ten would die to have. But the administration back then neglected to invest in athletics (and actually plundered athletics revenues to spend elsewhere…), so we were a significantly weakened brand by the early 2000s.

The TWO and the bad Dr managed to do as much damage as they possibly could to the university as a whole, and the athletics department, especially the football program, did not escape the reverse Midas touch those two useless clowns had.

Then Mark Coyle came in, realized what a dumpster fire he’d walked into and noped out as fast as he could get his bags packed and a flight to Minnesota booked.

While Wildhack’s legacy isn’t set, I think we need to realize he willingly came to the table knowing he was starting with a ten high hand, and has at least stemmed most of the bleeding of the last three decades. I’m willing to give him a lot of leeway because leadership at SU has been an endless parade of clowns, grifters, and cowards for three decades - and JW doesn’t appear to be any of those three (despite what Dan LeBatard thinks, he’s demonstrated some strong clown and coward tendencies which may be why he hates JW so much).

If Fran Brown works out, JW deserves a ton of credit for having the courage to go off the board for that hire…even if Fran Brown doesn’t, I’ll give him credit for thinking outside the box at a time it was badly needed.
One thing that might help SU in the future, is JW knows a lot about ESPN, having worked at the higher levels all those years.

One thing that might help SU in the future, is JW knows a lot about ESPN, having worked at the higher levels all those years.

We've been saying that about JW since he was hired. Has that really translated into anything for us or the ACC?

We've been saying that about JW since he was hired. Has that really translated into anything for us or the ACC?
JW has shown that he doesn't make snap decisions. Just because nothing tangible has shown up recently doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan.
If Fran and Red do their part and make Syracuse relevant in Football, and Basketball again, we will get a seat at the big boys table.

JW has shown that he doesn't make snap decisions. Just because nothing tangible has shown up recently doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan.
If Fran and Red do their part and make Syracuse relevant in Football, and Basketball again, we will get a seat at the big boys table.
I think we will to, but will have nothing to do with JW's prior relationship with ESPN. But, point being, he has been at SU for, what now, 8 years? There's been nothing appreciable from ESPN due to his prior work relationship. His experience should help us, which we all should expect, but nothing directly with ESPN.

I think we will to, but will have nothing to do with JW's prior relationship with ESPN. But, point being, he has been at SU for, what now, 8 years? There's been nothing appreciable from ESPN due to his prior work relationship. His experience should help us, which we all should expect, but nothing directly with ESPN.

He started with a ten high hand, expecting he could leverage that into anything with ESPN - even in 8 years - is unrealistic.

It took 30 years of mismanagement to get into the situation he took over. Hopefully he can right the ship in less than 30 - but in 8 had no chance of happening.

The reality is that JW’s true test will come next year. If Fran can coach *at all* it will take a heroic effort to keep him. If he shows ability or even potential this coming season, and JW is able to keep him: it’s time to rename the university after him.

The reality is that JW’s true test will come next year. If Fran can coach *at all* it will take a heroic effort to keep him. If he shows ability or even potential this coming season, and JW is able to keep him: it’s time to rename the university after him.
Fran isn't going anywhere, he has waited for this opportunity for a lifetime.
He isn't your normal person looking for the next big payday.
He wants to bring SU back to national prominence.

Fran isn't going anywhere, he has waited for this opportunity for a lifetime.
He isn't your normal person looking for the next big payday.
He wants to bring SU back to national prominence.

My neighbors built their "forever" home. They hosted some very nice parties throughout the year and they enjoyed the neighborhood.
Someone offered them 6 million for their home and now I have new neighbors. The old neighbors moved without knowing where they would end up.
Don't think for a minute that a pile of money won't change Fran's mind.
If he does what we hope he does, he will need to be paid.

Gross hired coaches that won three national championships in three different sports and built our profile to get us into the ACC despite the poor football performance.

Coyle only left because his dream job opened. Syracuse had it's best sports year in history in 2015-16. Championships in field hockey and cross country. Final Four appearances for men's and women's basketball, men's soccer and women's lacrosse. I don't know how anyone could call the athletics department in the time he was here a disaster.

But I couldn't agree more on Wildhack. He's an alum who loves SU like we do. He has the background to know how networks think and how to best position us. He won't mess that up.

Yes.

Syverud and through him, ADJW are being pretty pragmatic it seems.

I already commented that I was stoked that Syverud was on this. My response was to a statement about JW's past working relationship with ESPN and how he could leverage off of that, specifically. that has not borne any fruit that we have seen. And this "super league" has nothing to do with ESPN.

I already commented that I was stoked that Syverud was on this. My response was to a statement about JW's past working relationship with ESPN and how he could leverage off of that, specifically. that has not borne any fruit that we have seen. And this "super league" has nothing to do with ESPN.
And what, he's not using a single connection or relationship he's made during his career, including with ESPN, to get this off the ground?

What do you want? Every Cuse FB game on national TV, primetime? The ACC to have a daily Jim Boeheim Show?

And with dealings being made, why and how the heck would we the public be privy to this? The perception of this from other schools, even totally legal conversations, would be massively negative for Cuse. C'mon now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom