Will never happen, but here's what I'd do if ACC king for a day... | Syracusefan.com

Will never happen, but here's what I'd do if ACC king for a day...

SRHoo

Walk On
Was reading the 30 of 30 thread, and I believe most purists from both the ACC and old Big East long for the days of the traditional hoops rivalries. We won't return to where we were, but if I could run the show for a day, here's what I'd push for.

For 2014-15 there are 15 hoops programs set for the ACC. I'd bring it to 16 by inviting either Georgetown or Villanova for everything other than football...both programs ranked ahead of several current ACC schools in the Directors Cup standings last year, and would bring more than just hoops. Both are solid academically. One would bring the D.C. market (which we're losing with Maryland), the other Philadelphia.

Once you get to 16, split it into 2 divisions of 8.

Division 1 - Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame, VTech, Miami, Georgetown/Villanova
Division 2 - UVa, UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU, Clemson, GTech & FSU

Play the traditional home-and-home with each team in your division. To get to 18 conference games, play 4 alternating games each year from the other division, so you play each school every other year, and once at home over a 4 year period.

Tournament time, play 2 division tournaments, with the division winner playing for the conference championship.

Now I realize this will never happen. The ACC won't expand with another non-football school because they'll hold out for the false hope that Notre Dame will eventually sign in as a full football member. Still, this would bring back those old traditional hoops rivalries without hurting the football product.

Dislike greatly. We don't need another frankenconference of different memberships. Special circumstance Notre Dame is plenty.

I would add Temple in all sports.

Sorry, but was Temple even IN the Big East? /sarc

They may have beaten us once or twice, but I'm hard-pressed to remember one game of any real consequence against them, basketball or football.

Love the suggestion!

Nah, it's abysmal.

Here's an idea: get UConn, Georgetown, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh and put them in one division. Put that division on a ship. Tow the ship into the Atlantic Ocean. We'll call this the Shatlantic Division.

Use it for torpedo practice.

Dude, don't sell yourself short. You just might be ACC king for a day.

So we go from playing Duke / UNC at least once a year to once every two years no thanks. Also I would not add any non-football programs.

Here's an idea: get UConn, Georgetown, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh and put them in one division. Put that division on a ship. Tow the ship into the Atlantic Ocean. We'll call this the Shatlantic Division.

SnookScope.jpg

Ok, message received...scratch that idea :)

I severely underestimated your thoughts on new/future ACC rivalries.

I do think it's sad, skews conference standings and dilutes rivalries when there are so many teams that it requires unbalanced schedules. Playing every team home and away would be the ideal. Unfortunately those days are gone and mega conferences will be the norm.

That was an awesome post!

If you used it for torpedo practice, Rutgers Al's prophetic words regarding becoming the dominant power in college football would be lost forever.

OK, works for me...fire 47 !!!!!

Sorry, but was Temple even IN the Big East? /sarc

They may have beaten us once or twice, but I'm hard-pressed to remember one game of any real consequence against them, basketball or football.

Never in BE basketball.

Can we give this guy a break while I wouldn't want these type of divisions it isn't that bad an idea. UVA fans aren't like the VPI douchnozzles we dealt with in the Big East. If the ACC added Georgetown/Villanova for basketball it wouldn't be that bad an idea.

For Hoops: I would go to 18 teams and split it into two 9 team divisions: the ACC division and the Big East division. You only play games within your division, home-away every season. Each team will play 2 more games across division lines (think old Big East-ACC challenge from the late 80s). Each division will have a 3 day tourney in March on Th/Fr/Sat with the winners from each playing on Sunday. Sorry team #9, you're out.

In the ACC Division:
Duke
MD
UNC
NCSU
WFU
UVA
GT
Clemson
FSU

In the Big East Division:
SU
Pitt
Gtown
Nova
SHU
Providence
BC
SJU
UConn

I haven't thought about football yet. Maybe they are all Independents.

The original premise wasn't dumb if conferences went from 18 game schedule to a 20 game schedule
Division 1
Syracuse
Boston College
Miami
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame
Louisville
Georgetown/Villanova

you play those teams home/home 14 games

Division 2
Duke
North Carolina
Wake Forest
NC State
Florida State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Virginia

play 6 teams out of 8 every year. You play practically every team home and home every 2 years.

Then you play 11 non-conference games. Make the conference tournament cross-divisional. Seed 1 from Division 1 plays seed 8 from division 2 and so on.

While its not something I would advocate for the idea isn't dumb.