Will Patterson ever get a chance to play? | Syracusefan.com

Will Patterson ever get a chance to play?

djdan

Walk On
Not just this year, but in his career? Ennis is a freshmen. In terms of eligibility, both Cooney and Silent G are sophomores. And we're bringing in a true backup point guard in Kaleb Joseph next year to spell Ennis. While both Ennis and Cooney are playing very well, neither would appear to be a candidate for declaring early for the NBA draft. With all of that said, Patterson may never get a chance to get on the court at SU. Like, ever.

He'll play. Joseph doesn't affect him. Silent G can play 3 if JB goes small. Or Patterson could just jump G. in the rotation...

People said the same thing about Scoop and Josh Pace, among others. His time will come.

People said the same thing about Scoop and Josh Pace, among others. His time will come.
No offense, but this is a poor comparison. Both Scoop and Josh were in the rotation to some extent and played quality minutes as sophomores. And neither had two guys at their position with 3 years of eligibility left in front of them. There's a reasonable chance that both Ennis and Cooney stay all four years. If that's the case, when and where is Patterson going to play. As a senior at the 2?

And while I know it wasn't your post, how does the addition of Kaleb Joseph not impact Patterson? Of course it does. If anything, there's at least a chance that Patterson is lower on the depth chart but his sophomore and junior years than he is now - when he only plays in garbage time. This has transfer written all over it.

Ennis is not staying 4 years. After next year he will get drafted.

Both Scoop and Josh were in the rotation to some extent and played quality minutes as sophomores.

Scoop played major minutes (20 per game) as a freshman - that miserable season when we went basically 6.5 deep.

No offense, but this is a poor comparison. Both Scoop and Josh were in the rotation to some extent and played quality minutes as sophomores. And neither had two guys at their position with 3 years of eligibility left in front of them. There's a reasonable chance that both Ennis and Cooney stay all four years. If that's the case, when and where is Patterson going to play. As a senior at the 2?

And while I know it wasn't your post, how does the addition of Kaleb Joseph not impact Patterson? Of course it does. If anything, there's at least a chance that Patterson is lower on the depth chart but his sophomore and junior years than he is now - when he only plays in garbage time. This has transfer written all over it.

I agree that he will be stuck behind Cooney for the next several years, but if he continues to work on his game, and with his defense and effort being top notch, I have no doubt he'll get time. I also think MG moves more to a 3 next year and won't take all of his time.

Ennis is 6'1 at best and about 180 lbs soaking wet. I love his game but I have a hard time believing it will be suited for the NBA after his sophomore year.

A lot depends on how the forwards develop. Can Roberson or BJ develop and take the SF minutes? If not, Gbinije gets his time there -- and Patterson & Joseph are the second team guards.

OrangeYaGladi said:
He'll play. Joseph doesn't affect him. Silent G can play 3 if JB goes small. Or Patterson could just jump G. in the rotation...

I find it funny that people keep saying G can play the three "if we go small". He may play a back up point role, but he still is 6'7" and plays a lot of small forward. It's not like when we put Paul Harris on the back line of the zone.

Nothing against you personally, because I've seen it in several threads. It just always strikes me as an odd comment.

If Ennis and Cooney complete there eligibility I'm not that worried about how much the otherguards play. Jumior Ennis and Senior Cooney :D

I just think it's cute that people think Ennis is staying four years. We'll be lucky to get two.

How much did Jonny weigh? Where'd he get drafted?

I just think it's cute that people think Ennis is staying four years. We'll be lucky to get two.

I thought 3 years initially then I saw how he was developing and now I think 2 max. If we win the whole thing or ghet to the FF who knows.

If Patterson wants to play, he needs to understand his situation. He has to play better than the guy ahead of him, and to do that he needs to improve his game. And he gets the opportunity to do that every day in practice. I coached long enough to know that if he does, he'll get floor time in games. Boeheim's not a fool. Remember Mookie Jones? Everyone was concerned about him, too. but at the end of the day, he just plain was not a better player than the guys ahead of him. And he proved it. I also remember hearing concern that Josh Wright wasn't getting floor time, and when he did we all cringed.

I love his energy and it's up to him to improve his jump shot, passing and dribbling skills.

I find it funny that people keep saying G can play the three "if we go small". He may play a back up point role, but he still is 6'7" and plays a lot of small forward. It's not like when we put Paul Harris on the back line of the zone.

Nothing against you personally, because I've seen it in several threads. It just always strikes me as an odd comment.
Well, as they say, it's all relative.

G is smaller than all of our current small forwards. The team "goes smaller" with him at the 3, even if they don't magically transform into Binghamton. There's nothing wrong with going small, I can think of an NBA team that's been to 3 straight finals and has been pretty successful with it.

I like G at 3 when we have to press, for example.

I think some of you worried about floor time for Patterson are the same ones who worried constantly early this year that we only had three guards capable of playing meaningful time.

Seems like a similar situation to southerland. It may not be until his junior or senior season, but his time will come.

Also, consider that Brandon Triche had a four year career window that included Scoop, Dion, Andy, MCW, among others. Triche was arguably the least talented guard out of those and guess what, he started over or alongside, all of them. JB determined that Triche was the better defender and he started what seemed like 150 games for us(and was, I believe the winningest player we’ve ever had). What’s the one thing you hear about Buss? Active defender, great defender, etc. If he is a top notch defender, like many are expecting, he will get minutes here in my opinion.

I like G at the 3. It just seems like a more natural fit for him and I can't remember the last time we had a SF who could handle the ball at least remotely like a guard. If he can rebound and play D in the back of the zone (Big "If") I would love to see him at the 3, which opens up backup 2G minutes for Patterson. Also, if we don't land a top notch SG recruit, that puts Patterson in good shape for the starting SG role as a Senior. He has a full 4 years of eligibility, right?

He has a long ways to go. He will see time junior and senior year. Or teams are so deep now, that alot of good players don't see the floor early their careers. Kids know this when they sign with SU. If they want to play, they need to beat out their competition.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I haven't been overly impressed with Silent G. He seems a bit tentative out there, and at times looks uncomfortable and lost. Patterson seems to have the work ethic & drive to become a better overall player, and in turn, take away some minutes from G. Not necessarily this season, but next year and the year after that. I think Patterson's willingness to work hard will pay dividends for him over the course of his career. I really feel he'll develop into a more complete player & see quite a bit of floor time his Jr & Sr years.

Eh, I think we'll get at least 3 years from Ennis. He strikes me as more of a Scottie Reynolds (great college player, but not much of a chance in the NBA) than he does a Flynn/MCW (solid college player, but intriguing NBA prospect). Unless Ennis suddenly gains the ability to jump and outrun NBA forwards, I don't think he'll be a 1st round pick. I don't think he's athletic enough to keep up with many NBA PGs.

Who knows? Maybe he'll develop his game to the point that his lack of athleticism doesn't matter. But I think he has a pretty long ways to go before he's a 1st round pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom