Will Patterson ever get a chance to play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Patterson ever get a chance to play?

if the talent ahead of him is always better, then his never seeing meaningful minutes is a good thing, no? He's in a position similar to Mookie Jones, not that their respective games are anything alike, just that both have significantly better players ahead of them. Tough for him, but good for the team.

The reason why he looked a bit like a man among boys out there is because, well, he is. He's not just another freshman, he's a 21 year old freshman (turns 21 next month). That is also a bit of insurance against him transferring away out of frustration - he'd lose yet another year sitting out. He'll be eligible for Social Security before he uses up his college eligibility ;).

If Patterson wants to play, he needs to understand his situation. He has to play better than the guy ahead of him, and to do that he needs to improve his game. And he gets the opportunity to do that every day in practice. I coached long enough to know that if he does, he'll get floor time in games. Boeheim's not a fool. Remember Mookie Jones? Everyone was concerned about him, too. but at the end of the day, he just plain was not a better player than the guys ahead of him. And he proved it. I also remember hearing concern that Josh Wright wasn't getting floor time, and when he did we all cringed.
I signed in just to like this post. Patterson needs to improve or he is definitely looking at a Mookie Jones career here. The way he plays the zone really reminds me of Mookie. Just too loose in his transitions, consistently over runs the spot he wants to go to. It's probably a bad thing if the players you are most similar to historically are Mookie and Paul Harris, right?

JB really couldn't care less if you can score. If you can't play zone D, you can't play at Syracuse. And right now Patterson cannot play zone D.

I hope he figures it out, but it's no guarantee that he ever does.

if the talent ahead of him is always better, then his never seeing meaningful minutes is a good thing, no? He's in a position similar to Mookie Jones, not that their respective games are anything alike, just that both have significantly better players ahead of them. Tough for him, but good for the team.

The reason why he looked a bit like a man among boys out there is because, well, he is. He's not just another freshman, he's a 21 year old freshman (turns 21 next month). That is also a bit of insurance against him transferring away out of frustration - he'd lose yet another year sitting out. He'll be eligible for Social Security before he uses up his college eligibility ;).
But Paterson has been behind in terms of SU training. These early games JB usually goes with who he trusts and that would be the person with the year in the system, MG. The playing time decision may have been different if Patterson had been here last year. From what I have seen I am not convinced MG is a significantly better player.

I signed in just to like this post. Patterson needs to improve or he is definitely looking at a Mookie Jones career here. The way he plays the zone really reminds me of Mookie. Just too loose in his transitions, consistently over runs the spot he wants to go to. It's probably a bad thing if the players you are most similar to historically are Mookie and Paul Harris, right?

JB really couldn't care less if you can score. If you can't play zone D, you can't play at Syracuse. And right now Patterson cannot play zone D.

I hope he figures it out, but it's no guarantee that he ever does.
Wow, I have a different take. First, Patterson has no resemblance to Mookie. Mookie came back from injury out of shape - Patterson is incredibly fit. Mookie didn't hustle regularly and as a consequence Mookie's D was a joke. Patterson comes with a rep of taking his defense seriously. He is also blessed with a freakish wingspan. He will be good at it.

Paul Harris comparisons should not be considered a bad thing.

I see the fallacy that JB doesn't care if you can score still lives. He's developing and playing DC2 for offensive reasons - DC2 is third defensively out of our centers. Cooney is starting and playing because of his O - Cooney has been situationally taken out when defense was needed. JB does care if you can score.

I don't think he'll jump G in the rotation unless he can prove to be a better scoring option. Keep in mind that we probably won't see G's true scoring abilities until Fair and Grant are gone. We just don't need him to take many shots right now.

I think Buss will share mins eventually with G or G could move to the 3 occasionally.

I think Buss will share mins eventually with G or G could move to the 3 occasionally.

I guess this is my point - the best case scenario over the next two years is that Patterson gets a share of what - G's 9 minutes a game? Some of the responses here seem to indicate that I'm worried about Patterson's playing time. I'm not. No offense to him, but if we never need him, we're going to be in really good shape. As such, it's certainly in the realm of possibility that he would consider going somewhere where he can actually play, age be darned.

wrong season to worrying about. He is a very good player who will only get better playing against kids who the coach thinks is better.

when his time comes we will all be :)

I guess this is my point - the best case scenario over the next two years is that Patterson gets a share of what - G's 9 minutes a game? Some of the responses here seem to indicate that I'm worried about Patterson's playing time. I'm not. No offense to him, but if we never need him, we're going to be in really good shape. As such, it's certainly in the realm of possibility that he would consider going somewhere where he can actually play, age be darned.
Once Fair's gone, and depending on whether or not Grant's gone... G's minutes will increase. He can play any position on the floor besides maybe the 4 and definitely the 5.

By next year, hopefully G will have obtained JB's "trust" and will get the nod to get some serious minutes and improve. I think Buss will have a shot in the non conference schedule next year to show what he's really made of. Also who knows, god forbid G, Ennis or Cooney get hurt... Buss could see a lot of time.

iggy says Buss is gonna be Boeheimed all 4 years, so I'm going with that

Patterson has a weird combination of two advanced stats. On the one hand, he takes 35.6% of the shots when he is on the floor. That is very high - by comparison, the team's designated "go-to" guy, CJ Fair, takes 28% of the shots when he is on the court (tops among rotation players). Normally I see 35.6 and I think "ball stopping chucker;" but then you see his assist rate is 21.3 (he is credited with an assist on 21.3% of teammate's baskets made when he is on the floor). This is also very high, second only to Tyler Ennis' 27.7

Patterson has a weird combination of two advanced stats. On the one hand, he takes 35.6% of the shots when he is on the floor. That is very high - by comparison, the team's designated "go-to" guy, CJ Fair, takes 28% of the shots when he is on the court (tops among rotation players). Normally I see 35.6 and I think "ball stopping chucker;" but then you see his assist rate is 21.3 (he is credited with an assist on 21.3% of teammate's baskets made when he is on the floor). This is also very high, second only to Tyler Ennis' 27.7

I'm hoping that he's shooting as much as he is simply to try to make the most of his minutes on the court, but he's just not a very good shooter and he has the quickest trigger on the team besides maybe Cooney (and I think we can all agree that Cooney deserves to take pretty much any shot that he can get off lol).

I think Patterson can really thrive for Syracuse if he focuses on being disruptive defensively and being an opportunistic scorer. He shouldn't be trying to shoot the ball every chance he gets like he has done so far this season.

Ennis is 6'1 at best and about 180 lbs soaking wet. I love his game but I have a hard time believing it will be suited for the NBA after his sophomore year.
ever heard of Trey Burke?

ever heard of Trey Burke?
oh, yeah - the pint sized guard who considered the NBA, was told he was too small, came back for a sophomore year and gained weight and strength. Thanks for solidifying the point with a real world example, Garbs!

Garbs said:
How so?

For one Burke was an excellent scorer on top of being a great passer. Not saying Ennis isn't a great passer because he is. Burke RARELY had an off game last year and was arguably the best player in college basketball. Burke while not having elite speed had an elite motor, able to change speeds better than anybody I've seen in a long time, his 6'5" wingspan didn't hurt much as well. I think Burke is a better scorer as well and had more ability from the three point line as well as a better body to absorb contact inside.

And even with all that stuff about Burke, he's been struggling outside of being able to knock down 3's. He's shooting under 25% from inside the arc.

And my guess is that Burke, while being an average at best athlete, is still probably more athletic than Ennis.

For one Burke was an excellent scorer on top of being a great passer. Not saying Ennis isn't a great passer because he is. Burke RARELY had an off game last year and was arguably the best player in college basketball. Burke while not having elite speed had an elite motor, able to change speeds better than anybody I've seen in a long time, his 6'5" wingspan didn't hurt much as well. I think Burke is a better scorer as well and had more ability from the three point line as well as a better body to absorb contact inside.
as a freshmen Burke: 36mpg, 14.8ppg, 3.5rpg, 4.6 apg, 0.9spg, 43%FG, 74% FT, 35% 3pt, 2.8 TO's

as a freshmen so far, Ennis: 31mpg, 11.3ppg, 3.2rpg, 4.9 apg, 2.7spg, 41%FG, 72% FT, 43% 3pt, 1 TO

Garbs said:
as a freshmen Burke: 36mpg, 14.8ppg, 3.5rpg, 4.6 apg, 0.9spg, 43%FG, 74% FT, 35% 3pt, 2.8 TO's as a freshmen so far, Ennis: 31mpg, 11.3ppg, 3.2rpg, 4.9 apg, 2.7spg, 41%FG, 72% FT, 43% 3pt, 1 TO

I could put Fair's stats next to a ton of guys who will get drafted higher than him and Fair bets them easily, doesn't mean squat unfortunately.

I just think it's cute that people think Ennis is staying four years. We'll be lucky to get two.

How much did Jonny weigh? Where'd he get drafted?

Lucky to get two? You think there's a chance Ennis goes pro this year? That's absurd. If he does, he's making a ridiculous mistake. I'll be shocked if he doesn't stay at least 3.

Flynn was 10x the athlete that Ennis is, and he was a proven scorer at the collegiate level. Ennis will never be the athlete or have the quickness that Jonny had. I'm not sure he'll ever be the scorer here that Jonny was either.

Were people calling for McNamara or Devendorf to go pro after 1 year? Those aren't great comparisons, but they were both kids who were capable right away, while having limitations. I see Tyler in the same way. He's a great floor general that can knock down 3's, but overall doesn't possess elite athleticism or quickness, and I can't see him beating bigger and quicker NBA guards consistently at the next level.

If Ennis were 6'4" and just a bit quicker, he'd be a lottery pick at some point. But his physical limitations will certainly be a major ding for the NBA scouts.

I could put Fair's stats next to a ton of guys who will get drafted higher than him and Fair bets them easily, doesn't mean squat unfortunately.
lulz, if it helps you sleep at night, all you have posted us blah blah blah, and when I post actual stats "it doesn't mean anything"

Jasoncuse said:
Lucky to get two? You think there's a chance Ennis goes pro this year? That's absurd. If he does, he's making a ridiculous mistake. I'll be shocked if he doesn't stay at least 3. Flynn was 10x the athlete that Ennis is, and he was a proven scorer at the collegiate level. Ennis will never be the athlete or have the quickness that Jonny had. I'm not sure he'll ever be the scorer here that Jonny was either. Were people calling for McNamara or Devendorf to go pro after 1 year? Those aren't great comparisons, but they were both kids who were capable right away, while having limitations. I see Tyler in the same way. He's a great floor general that can knock down 3's, but overall doesn't possess elite athleticism or quickness, and I can't see him beating bigger and quicker NBA guards consistently at the next level. If Ennis were 6'4" and just a bit quicker, he'd be a lottery pick at some point. But his physical limitations will certainly be a major ding for the NBA scouts.

Flynn wasn't ready to go pro, as time has proven. Flynn was a better athlete than Ennis, but Ennis has tricks in his bag and more floor sense than Flynn. Ennis needs to get stronger and work on his outside shot. He'll be here at least two years.

oh, yeah - the pint sized guard who considered the NBA, was told he was too small, came back for a sophomore year and gained weight and strength. Thanks for solidifying the point with a real world example, Garbs!

Burke still would have been a 1st rounder (just not a lottery pick).

I mean, outside of Marcus Smart, there isn't a PG in college basketball who is definitely better then Ennis. If Ennis plays well and Cuse makes a run, it isn't out of the realm of possibility Ennis becomes the 2nd best PG on the board and goes in the 15-30 range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom