Will someone smarter than me please explain | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will someone smarter than me please explain

strange play there . defender was watching the driver and didn't know chukwu was even behind him. and the foul occurs after the goaltending. i'd say it was more PC initiating the contact after a whistle . got lucky.

Disagree - he didn’t know at first but he was backing up, then felt Paschal and then purposely gave Chukwu a shot. Chukwu was above him and he ended up being undercut.

problem with the 2nd call i think is the undercutting ( debatable) happened after the obvious goaltending.
you're trying to reward a player for an obviously illegal move. undercut (?) didn't cause the goaltending.
chukwu was in the rim before he was fouled. imo. certain amount of contact is allowed in that circle.
now how you call that a shooting foul when the only time he had contact was a violation is a problem.

Last edited:
Rewatched the game (which I highly recommend, by the way), and traded emails with an NBA ref I know. The first time this happened - with 12:47 to play in the 2nd half - they disallowed the basket, but awarded Chukwu two free throws. My referee friend says that was an incorrect call. He says that either the basket interference had to have happened before the common foul (which negates the foul, because the play is dead), or the foul had to have occurred before the BI (which ends the play before Chukwu actually possessed the ball).

He further clarified that in order for a foul to be judged a shooting foul, the player must have control of the ball. If a player is fouled while attempting a tip in, that should be judged a loose ball foul - side out or 1-and-1 free throws - definitely not two FTs. However, if the tipped ball goes in, the basket counts (because any live ball from the playing court that goes in shall be scored) and then the fouled player gets one FT attempt.

On any alley-oop play where the player gets fouled before the ball gets to his hands (or if the player’s arms get hit so that he is never able to fully control the ball), that should be judged a non-shooting foul - and that was how the referees called it with just over a minute to play in the OT (when Chukwu made both ends of the 1-and-1. Whether or not Paschal committed offensive basket interference after the foul (which I think he did) is irrelevant, because the play was dead as soon as the Duke player undercut him on the play.

TL;DR: We got one “free” point with 12:47 to play in the 2nd half. Them’s the breaks, Duke... too bad!

(Now I’m gonna rewatch it just one more time... just to make sure... )

Yea, what I said. :)

Rewatched the game (which I highly recommend, by the way), and traded emails with an NBA ref I know. The first time this happened - with 12:47 to play in the 2nd half - they disallowed the basket, but awarded Chukwu two free throws. My referee friend says that was an incorrect call. He says that either the basket interference had to have happened before the common foul (which negates the foul, because the play is dead), or the foul had to have occurred before the BI (which ends the play before Chukwu actually possessed the ball).

He further clarified that in order for a foul to be judged a shooting foul, the player must have control of the ball. If a player is fouled while attempting a tip in, that should be judged a loose ball foul - side out or 1-and-1 free throws - definitely not two FTs. However, if the tipped ball goes in, the basket counts (because any live ball from the playing court that goes in shall be scored) and then the fouled player gets one FT attempt.

On any alley-oop play where the player gets fouled before the ball gets to his hands (or if the player’s arms get hit so that he is never able to fully control the ball), that should be judged a non-shooting foul - and that was how the referees called it with just over a minute to play in the OT (when Chukwu made both ends of the 1-and-1. Whether or not Paschal committed offensive basket interference after the foul (which I think he did) is irrelevant, because the play was dead as soon as the Duke player undercut him on the play.

TL;DR: We got one “free” point with 12:47 to play in the 2nd half. Them’s the breaks, Duke... too bad!

(Now I’m gonna rewatch it just one more time... just to make sure... )
And Duke got three free points when their player palmed the bal looked like he walked the crowd moaned the ref swallowed the pea theplayer continued the drive made a lay up was fouled made the free three . I thought the ref was gonna ask the crowd to make the call

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom