Will the band keep pace? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will the band keep pace?

SUMB,

you are cordially invited to Section 309 Row A...our group will show you how we do the first down. We get a pretty good sized contingent to participate. Come ask for OrangeBass.

Apparently you were in the bathroom during various fullback traps on 3rd and 8 in the 90s.

(I was saying boo-urns).

Weird, I thought that was an homage to Detroit Tigers legend Sweet Louuuuu Whitaker?

Sure!

After the music is over, the chant is "GO CUSE!" On each word you make a number 4 with your right hand (go with me on this...) and chop out to make the first down hand sign twice, once on each word. Because of what we're doing with our hands, we're not just making the first down sign twice, we're also making "44". Here's a video of us doing it from band camp:

Hopefully seeing it in action makes it make some sense. As I said, it's very quick!

Love the effort for something new like this, and getting the students on board early.

Just a nitpick, because I have this here keyboard and anonymity at my disposal. But I think it would be cool if we said First Down instead of Go Cuse.

So from that video, I assume that's the new band location in the Dome?

Love the effort for something new like this, and getting the students on board early.

Just a nitpick, because I have this here keyboard and anonymity at my disposal. But I think it would be cool if we said First Down instead of Go Cuse.

Dude, the Pats do "first down". Do you want to do a Pats cheer?

:)

Yes, we are now seated in section 106/107 in the corner by the tunnel (the right side of it when you are looking at it from the field). We are now in the student section, close to SU fans where we are hoping we can really ramp up the home field advantage. Previously, we were seated closer to fans of the away team than the home team. We're very excited for the change and hope it makes a big difference once everyone gets used to it.

Hopefully the crowd also takes part in the new first down chant!

Justin, my sister played trumpet for four years with SUMB. She's going to LOVE this!

Dude, the Pats do "first down". Do you want to do a Pats cheer?

:)

Well, I do want to be unique.

Maybe we could do ours on 2nd down?

3rd or 4th would be weird.

image.jpeg
I hate the band. That's all.

How dare you!

Sure!

After the music is over, the chant is "GO CUSE!" On each word you make a number 4 with your right hand (go with me on this...) and chop out to make the first down hand sign twice, once on each word. Because of what we're doing with our hands, we're not just making the first down sign twice, we're also making "44". Here's a video of us doing it from band camp:

Hopefully seeing it in action makes it make some sense. As I said, it's very quick!
Thank you sir - I can dig it, but also wonder if "First Down" would be better.

Is nobody else concerned that looks like a chopping motion? FSU? Rutgers? Instead of 2 chops, how about just 1 first down signal. Instead of trying to do two chops on two beats, do one chop on two beats, up motion on the first beat, down motion on the 2nd. The hand should be fully extended as to knock out the person in front of them. Ok maybe not that far.

Pyle said:
Is nobody else concerned that looks like a chopping motion? FSU? Rutgers? Instead of 2 chops, how about just 1 first down signal. Instead of trying to do two chops on two beats, do one chop on two beats, up motion on the first beat, down motion on the 2nd. The hand should be fully extended as to knock out the person in front of them. Ok maybe not that far.
Nope, not concerned. Concerned how? Copying? Offending someone? Let's not forget that we did the kickoff chop thing on every kickoff not all that long ago. I'm sure we all know why that went away.

Why is everyone taking what they've doing and picking it apart? Jesus, at least they're trying something new.

Nope, not concerned. Concerned how? Copying? Offending someone? Let's not forget that we did the kickoff chop thing on every kickoff not all that long ago. I'm sure we all know why that went away.

Why is everyone taking what they've doing and picking it apart? Jesus, at least they're trying something new.

funny? what do you mean funny? funny, how? i mean, I'm funny like a clown? i amuse you? i make you laugh?

SUMB said:
SUMB director here... I'm pleased to report that we (myself, football staff, and cheer coaches) have been working on this proactively. I've attended scrimmages and watched the offense in action. I can't say much other than that it is indeed very fast as advertised. We've had to shorten both the musical intro and the vocal cheer to first down so that the entire thing is less than half the length of just the music for the "old" cheer. We came up with a very cool first-down type hand motion to go with it and have already been teaching it to Otto's Army and the new students. We are excited to try it out! We get good response from the student section to the "old" first down cheer—which isn't actually first down specific in terms of the material—and will be using that at other points in the game to preserve it. The students in the SUMB have been working very hard and are excited to perform for fans tomorrow. Speaking of this...what time does your Fine lot tailgate start? We might be visiting you. Go Orange! Justin

The fine lot tailgate starts at 3 but most people will probably be there about 5.

well, they are kinda stupid

Maybe it is but they are cheering for the same team you are. If they are in the dome cheering on the team they are doing their part. If they want to look like fools let them it's not directly bothering anyone.

Sure!

I think this is great -- hope I get to see it on TV tomorrow

Justin- love the train thing the drumline did at kickoff!

Thanks!

We tried a bunch of new elements tonight...some were more successful than others but we feel that our new proximity to the students section made a big difference in our ability to create a good college atmosphere. There's a high ceiling for the new offense and for us as well I think :)

Band seemed very quiet most of the game. Could barely make out the new first down thing from right above the band, not sure if speakers weren't on or if it is just that quiet.

Loved the way Down down the field is done after a TD with the "second verse" having no music and just getting sung. Also liked the use of the old first down chant after a fielded kick, before the start of a drive.

Maybe it is but they are cheering for the same team you are. If they are in the dome cheering on the team they are doing their part. If they want to look like fools let them it's not directly bothering anyone.
Settle down francis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom