Will the defense be significantly better next year? | Syracusefan.com

Will the defense be significantly better next year?

Crusty

Living Legend
I am thinking that we need better line play to increase pressure without having to blitz. Curious what the smart people think.

I don't think I'm one of the smart people, but I think it will be about the same to maybe a little better. If we're going to generate more pass rush without having to blitz it'll mean that our DE's have made significant improvement in the off season, since it doesn't seem like we've brought in any stud pass rushers. I think we'll have more depth on the interior d-line.

Which will have the bigger impact in the secondary, the loss of Thomas (negatively) or the maturation of our younger guys (positively)?

It seems like LB may be about the same. It looks like we're bringing in some talent there, but is anyone an immediate impact guy (maybe the big JUCO kid, I forget his name)? Just my 2 cents. I'm far from an insider, so take it FWIW.

I am thinking that we need better line play to increase pressure without having to blitz. Curious what the smart people think.
But we want to blitz. Even if we have a great DL we still want to force the offense to react to our unpredictable pressure.

far from an expert, but our DT's are more run stoppers, and i see DE's as our biggest weakness. MPB is ok, but isn't going to get you a ton of sacks. With the massive size, and depth on our DL though we should be better overall regardless.

I think you see some more out of MPB this year akin to a 6 or 7 sack effort. It seems like his priority coming in was stopping the run which I think he did a nice job on. I think Micah will be improved also and thought he came on the last few games. Still though the Shafer style of D brings pressure. Cam and Dyshawn are going to do some great things as juniors. The Shamarko loss will hurt but I think Wayne can fill in here or even Rishard.

The biggest strength of the d will be the tackles. Good lord. Bromley will play on Sundays. Crume looked better each week. Jones and walls are space eaters. Then there is raymon who would have been just behind jay and deon this year. And Wayne Williams. And Sloan. And Coleman. Then isiah Johnson. I am very excited for this group. And for Shafer coaching with his guys- notice the difference in the linebacker play between this past year when a Shafer guy was in and the previous years.

If Arciniega can be the big, prototypical 3 down MLB a lot of us expect him to be, I think this defence can be pretty special.

I have said it before but I would not be surprised to see Bromley take some snaps at boundary end. I'm not writing off Robinson and the other ends but if Raymon and Williams are the real deal, having Bromley and MPB at end with two of Crume, Raymon, and Williams at tackle might be our best front four.

Going to be a tough first year in the ACC but I am very bullish about our defence for next season.

I'm pretty smart, so I'll take a crack at this.

I think due to experience more than anything we'll see better tackling. I also expect our secondary to be improved, in part because we have good experience coming back and in part because as good as Shamarko was in run support he really wasn't all that great in coverage. There's a reason why a guy that played so much had so few interceptions. We'll miss Sharpe at defensive end, but overall I think the defensive line looks pretty good.

Will be interesting to see what kind of impact the JUCOs make. I think the defense will be stout, but not overwhelming, and that should be more than sufficient to have a successful season.

We will not get run over this year by power run teams. Way too big and strong up the middle. I am still worried about pass rush and safeties. Hopefully MPB gets stronger in weight room and becomes a factor. Trejo has a chance to start too. That could potentially help pass rush. As for safeties, Wilkes was really bad at times this year. I hope we see Morgan at FS and eskridge/ desir at SS. Kelly also competing for time. That unit needs to be better.

We will not get run over this year by power run teams. Way too big and strong up the middle. I am still worried about pass rush and safeties. Hopefully MPB gets stronger in weight room and becomes a factor. Trejo has a chance to start too. That could potentially help pass rush. As for safeties, Wilkes was really bad at times this year. I hope we see Morgan at FS and eskridge/ desir at SS. Kelly also competing for time. That unit needs to be better.
Yes - more competition at SS, LBs and Line should help us a bit.

Glad to see someone talking about Trejo. This is a player that was all set to go to Mich State. He has good size and was bumped up to a three star by TOS. He seems to be the forgotten recruit.

I know that the stats are not perfectly comparable but under the FWIW category, we were 48th nationally in Points Against scoring with an average of 24.8 PPG. That would tie us with Clemson for 3rd in the ACC. However, we were 62nd nationally in pass defense with 233.8 yards per game, which would have placed us 6th in the ACC between GT and Clemson. Improvement in pass defense whether from better pass rush or secondary play, could knock a few points off this stat and might be worth an extra win or two. I'm just sayin...
(I know that Shafer does not like stats but since I used Points I appeal for special dispensation.)

I have a tendency to blame Wilkes for a lot and sometimes I may be wrong because he might have to be in two places at the same time due to blitzes. Lynn, Anderson and Reddish will be the corners but it may depend on how many ACC schools go 3+ wide...have to take a look at our schedule and see because I'd hate to lose Morgan as the 4th CB but he is an attractive choice for FS no doubt.

I have a tendency to blame Wilkes for a lot and sometimes I may be wrong because he might have to be in two places at the same time due to blitzes. Lynn, Anderson and Reddish will be the corners but it may depend on how many ACC schools go 3+ wide...have to take a look at our schedule and see because I'd hate to lose Morgan as the 4th CB but he is an attractive choice for FS no doubt.
Whigham is very highly thought of at corner.

What have you heard about Luke A?

Far from an insider but my understanding is LA is a solid athlete with a great frame who has had some (one?) bad concussions in the past.

If he can pick up the playbook and stay on the field, I think he will be pretty good for us. Although doing those two things is much easier said than done.

Excited to watch (or hear about) him in the spring.

Sometimes a change in coaching can be beneficial. The new guys don't really have to be better but sometimes they teach different things and explain things in a different way that can help in some cases. Lea certainly seems to have outstanding creds.

What have you heard about Luke A?

Not enough.

MLB is the most important position on defense IMO. We will be better if whomever starts there is as good as Diet Tab was. This will be the 4th straight year with a new MLB. It is key.

I think MPB makes huge gains this year and becomes an all acc type performer.. Little bit stronger faster and smarter with schemes

What position does he play? :)
All kidding aside, a lot of the responses appear to be predicated on the assumption that we will simply be plugging a few new faces into last year's Shafer defense. He will no doubt have a lot to say about the schemes and personnel next season, the reality is that Bullough will be the one in the booth making the gameday decisions.

All kidding aside, a lot of the responses appear to be predicated on the assumption that we will simply be plugging a few new faces into last year's Shafer defense. He will no doubt have a lot to say about the schemes and personnel next season, the reality is that Bullough will be the one in the booth making the gameday decisions.

No doubt. But I looked at the question as being personnel based.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom