"Will to Win" online beginning Saturday April 1 ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Will to Win" online beginning Saturday April 1 ...

I was there as well. Sat up in the cheap seats behind GMac's family. The Spartans had a kid named Hill that lit us up for about a hundred 3's but in the end, the good guys prevailed. That was the only time we saw the 2003 team in person.

I did notice that Bill Orange made the credits.

On the night of the NC game, my wife and I were staying on the Gulf Coast. After we won, I went outside and sprinted around the hotel parking lot for about 20 minutes. Sheer joy.
Yep, I remember Hill's 3s.

The day after the NC, I drove a couple hours to Kent State to give a seminar, with my Syracuse flag flapping from my window. I doubt that the Ohio folks understood the meaning. However, the first words out of my mouth in the seminar related to SU winning the NC.

My son and I just finished it. He was playing a game and disinterested at first; next thing I know he put the game down and was watching intently. He was a freshman in college and remembers watching the game with people. After we won, people started trickling out of the TV room and he was like, “Hey, where you guys going? You have to watch One Shining Moment!” He watched it by himself.

So many great personal stories. What touched me the most was how badly Carmelo wanted to stay. And how he said that winning the championship was his all time best sports moment. #1,
This is how I got my girl, who is a Texan and doesn't like basketball, to watch it..
j4DDxRsjgYTfkSXGXkKLmh.jpg

I was there as well. Sat up in the cheap seats behind GMac's family. The Spartans had a kid named Hill that lit us up for about a hundred 3's but in the end, the good guys prevailed. That was the only time we saw the 2003 team in person.

I did notice that Bill Orange made the credits.

On the night of the NC game, my wife and I were staying on the Gulf Coast. After we won, I went outside and sprinted around the hotel parking lot for about 20 minutes. Sheer joy.
I remember Hill’s 3’s, and I remember the last play of the game holding my breath for about 10 seconds, as they had multiple chances.

1. Thank you Syracuse.com. Very well done.
2. I was glad Bernie was included. He looked good.
3. First time getting to “know” Gerry. Now I think that with a more involved approach from the HC in recruiting, he might land some big ones.
4. If JB was selfish, Melo stays, and JB might have two championships.
5. What a bunch of great representatives of SU.
6. That big oaf from Auburn almost cost SU a championship.
7. Watched after watching the ESPN Big East documentary. Perfect double feature.

Have you just not paid attention when GMac has talked the last 20 years?

1. Thank you Syracuse.com. Very well done.
2. I was glad Bernie was included. He looked good.
3. First time getting to “know” Gerry. Now I think that with a more involved approach from the HC in recruiting, he might land some big ones.
4. If JB was selfish, Melo stays, and JB might have two championships.
5. What a bunch of great representatives of SU.
6. That big oaf from Auburn almost cost SU a championship.
7. Watched after watching the ESPN Big East documentary. Perfect double feature.
I have to say, it was pretty courageous to include Bernie in this given the national discourse a decade ago. It's pretty clear that the entire thing was not what was portrayed at the time and happy to see him included as he should be.

I know JB pushed him out, but would NIL have made any difference to Melo coming back for his Sophomore season?

Last edited:
Honestly one of the best parts was when Billy Edlien started crying a bit after Gorman talked highly of him. I’m sure most on here know he’s a rough patch after leaving Cuse for a variety of reasons and he thought Gorman was just gonna make a joke or something. But what Gorman said was meaningful and from the heart and Billy was not expecting that and he got chocked up and cried a bit. Someone cut some onions when I watched that. Something so small went such a long with him. It was awesome to see. Loved that part, honestly might be my favorite part. Just awesome to see

I know JB pushed him out, but would NIL have made any difference to Melo coming back for his Sophomore season?

He was the #3 pick in the NBA Draft.

He made $15 million in his 4 year rookie deal (in 2003 money).

That kind of NIL money didn't exist 20 years ago.

The #3 pick in last year's draft made over $7 million for 2022-23 alone.

Just watched it. Really good, left out a lot of big moments but I guess they wanted to limit length.

Ok so I just watched this and it’s just fantastic….I have anxiety about things in my life like many do and for an hour and change it just brought me back to how happy it felt as a fan to win in the city I’ll always love. It’s the most special place to be Syracuse it really is. and I’m so grateful for Coach JB and that 2003 team.

I was definitely out on Marshall St. the night of championship, I may go back & pause a few of those short clips they showed & see if I'm in there... haha;)

Edit: Will To Win was so good, as mentioned the Billy Edelin tears really hit... I was also really surprised by how much I felt the section about Jeremy McNeil & his reactions/loss of his mom, etc. Duany speaking to that was really powerful. McNeil himself was someone I just don't think I've ever heard speak in public, ever (I have played hoops against him in Archbold as a student - haha I think I've shared that story 3-4 different times on the board over the years), but I walked away thinking I'd totally hang out with this man. In the same vein, Bernie Fine who over the years since he left seems to have continued to garner this shady, slimy & unlikeable label... comes across as engaged & endearing, totally different than that perception of him.

Last edited:
It was awesome. Melo was fantastic. Kueth was great. Feel bad he was Jbs guy to pick on because he’s just so nice lol. But that was absolutely amazing. I’ll never forget being in the dome watching the game on the big projectors. Great memories there and great job by Syracuse com

Watched it last night.
It was so enjoyable.
Really well done and kudos to all involved.

Being a Tully guy, the unexpected surprise to me was learning that the players went to Gary Hall's home. Hearing Jeremy McNeil talk about it, with such a fondness, was really a special treat. I feel the same way about the southern hills. I spent a little time myself at the same house, some time before 03, so that all was really, really cool.

I loved that they interviewed everyone, and especially the walkons and scholarship players that did not play much.

Kueth Duany seems like such a fun dude.
Matt Gorman is really funny. When I lived in CO, I went down to CO Springs to watch him tryout for some USA U19 team. Interesting to see him all these years later.
GMac was great.
I had no idea Melo liked the Cuse from such a young age and even considered staying for 1 more year.
Cool to see the emotion from Edelin.
Cool to see how much everyone felt towards Jeremy.
Cool to learn what a 'family' they all appeared to be.

Very well done. Thank you for making this publicly available.

What a treat, wow. I love that they had everyone on there. Was nice to see Bernie Fine too, can't help but feel bad for him. He seemed happy and healthy.

So do we think Bernie was sort of railroaded or what? Sorry if we're not allowed to talk about this but I'm not up on the paywall gossip.