**Winter Weather Advisory / SU Classes Cancelled Friday** | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

**Winter Weather Advisory / SU Classes Cancelled Friday**

giphy.gif
I humbly accept this.

You're wrong.

When I was in Lawrinson, I think it was Soph year (so this was '85 or early '86), I dragged my butt outta bed and schlepped all the way across campus thru at least a foot of snow, to the far side of the Quad -
only to find my 8:30 APL class (and all classes) had been CANCELLED.

In my 4 years, that was the only time classes were cancelled, that I can recall.
- and during my tenure, Syracuse set a record with 42 consecutive days with measurable snowfall.
(then 1 day without, then 2 more weeks straight after that. UGH. :confused: )
Interesting...that must have just been urban legend at the time in 93 about being the first cancellations

we never had a day at college cancelled for snow but we had a bunch of days we got there and the prof had a note on the door.

I have another secret for you guys... the men's showers in the dorms didn't actually ever clog with [well, you know] in any dorm ever.

There are typically very few classes on Fridays. Plus, with weather like this it's good to cancel; especially for those who are commuting for them. Plus, it's likely that your instructor might not make it in.
Throughout the country, there have been deaths associated with students trying to commute to campus, during heavy snow.

You're wrong.

When I was in Lawrinson, I think it was Soph year (so this was '85 or early '86), I dragged my butt outta bed and schlepped all the way across campus thru at least a foot of snow, to the far side of the Quad -
only to find my 8:30 APL class (and all classes) had been CANCELLED.

In my 4 years, that was the only time classes were cancelled, that I can recall.
- and during my tenure, Syracuse set a record with 42 consecutive days with measurable snowfall.
(then 1 day without, then 2 more weeks straight after that. UGH. :confused: )
March 7, 1971. I lived off-campus senior year and drove in only to find out classes were cancelled.

I could be wrong but I think the 1st time they ever cancelled classes was the Blizzard of 93 which happened the same weekend as the Big East Tournament. Syracuse got like 42 inches across 2 days. They made a big deal saying the cancellation was the first one ever.

I was in NYC for the tourney, which got like 12 inches, but seemed like a lot more. At MSG the snow was leaking through the roof in spots so they were running out during each timeout to wipe the floor.
Ahh remember that all too well. I think it was the first time they had to deflate the dome for snow. Also remember watching the St. John's- Seton Hall game at the garden, with everyone slipping and buckets being used to collect rain water.

Most upperclassmen don’t even have Friday classes. There’s been travel advisories all day. The closing is for those who don’t live on campus. Ask upperdeck about Cornell today. They didn’t close, then changed their minds mid morning but after off campus students drove to campus with several of them getting in accidents.

I personally cancelled a lot of classes due to weather in my 5+ undergrad years. I recall one year, it was a random 80 degree April day and it was just too dangerous so we hung back at South Campus and stayed safe with an impromptu block party. My hazy recollection was that JB Reafsnyder was an attendee.

The only time SU cancelled in my time there was the March blizzard of 1993. They cancelled Monday classes, but only because people were traveling back from Spring Break that weekend.

...This isn’t the 1950s where all the professors and staff lived three blocks away and 95% of students lived on campus or just as close and everyone walked to school.

No, but it should be. And it puts SU at a disadvantage relative to its peers in more ways than this increase in weather disruptions. Kind of ridiculous that everyone experiences this drop in productivity because a relative minority of faculty and staff chose to live out in the sticks.

Most upperclassmen don’t even have Friday classes. There’s been travel advisories all day. The closing is for those who don’t live on campus. Ask upperdeck about Cornell today. They didn’t close, then changed their minds mid morning but after off campus students drove to campus with several of them getting in accidents.
is this really a thing these days? my kids are upperclass at colleges and both have full loads on fridays. i had way more m/w/ classes than anything else in college.

is this really a thing these days? my kids are upperclass at colleges and both have full loads on fridays. i had way more m/w/ classes than anything else in college.

In 8 semesters over 4 years from 2003 to 2007 at SU I had Friday classes once and I don't believe that has changed much.

In 8 semesters over 4 years from 2003 to 2007 at SU I had Friday classes once and I don't believe that has changed much.

Yeah I had them my first semester in 02 and then last semester when I took 22 credits in 06. Otherwise made sure I had no Friday classes. And that includes two years in link and then last two in Whitman.

In terms of the cancellations, my two bouts of frostbite from sophomore year are offended. The year we won the title we had record snows in Syracuse and not once were classes cancelled.

Yeah I had them my first semester in 02 and then last semester when I took 22 credits in 06. Otherwise made sure I had no Friday classes.

In terms of the cancellations, my two bouts of frostbite from sophomore year are offended. The year we won the title we had record snows in Syracuse and not once were classes cancelled.

I remember I was a senior in HS. I believe we had 3 feet in back to back weeks around Christmas and then the first week of January. I do believe they cancelled Valentines day in 2006 if memory serves me right.

I remember I was a senior in HS. I believe we had 3 feet in back to back weeks around Christmas and then the first week of January. I do believe they cancelled Valentines day in 2006 if memory serves me right.

I believe you are right about Valentine's day. I actually went South for that weekend to see my wife (gf at the time) and got stuck in DC an extra day.

Yes I was there from 04-08 and Valentines 2006 was the only day fully cancelled. There was a day in Feb or March 07 that they cancelled classes starting at 11am or so due to the -25 windchill. I remember because my lab was at 930 and after I get back to my dorm (Lawrinson, so through the Dome wind tunnel) we got the email stating the remainder of the day was cancelled. I was !?!?!? at that point.