wisconsin | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

wisconsin

You guys think wisky is better than us at this point?

no . . . but they are not far behind, either.

also, they are very much like SU in some ways - a veteran coach committed to an idiosyncratic style that he recruits for and that his players have fully embraced.

at the moment (not historically, of course, but at the moment), I think we are roughly equivalent programs in that we both have been and will continue to be serious contenders over a several year time line.

Carleton is to Wisconsin 2014 as Lemoyne was to Syracuse 2010
But we played Carleton without and CJ and didn't play man to man like we did against Lemoyne.

They have earned the benefit of the doubt

A fellow top team in the nation like Syracuse or Arizona likely could have survived that schedule with 0 losses as well, but no way there would be more than 7 or 8 teams that would have done the same.

Home - Top 25 teams in Florida and St. Louis at home, Top 50 Marquette in a rivalry game.

Road - Virginia (43 in KP), West Virginia (61), Green Bay (85)

Road games are tough. None of those above three are great teams, but they are decent. I can guarantee you many top 25 teams would slip up once in those 3 games.

But we played Carleton without and CJ and didn't play man to man like we did against Lemoyne.

we also played them in the 4th game of our tour, Wisconsin in their first . . . and Ryan was working in 6 freshman in their very first court time together

they call them exhibitions for a reason . . . that loss is meaningless; but the lessons learned have paid dividends (for us, too, I might add)

CJ played all the first half didn't he? I forget if the played at all in the second.

Respect the Ravens - they are no Lemoyne. They have done these close games against elite teams for a while. While there absolutely are factors that make these games closer for Carleton, this year's team (which may be there most talented ever) would compete for an at-large/NIT bid (IMO)

I certainly agree of the similarities in respect to being glued to a particular system I think wisky as a program is a step behind in respect to talent and athleticism. Ryan excels at squeezing out every drop of production with what he has on his roster. That said aside from Dekker their ability to make plays, sweep the boards and be a team who can win one on one when necessary is limited. Loom back at the sweet 16 game and they had to hit 14 3s to match us which to their credit they did but they were unable to match our ability to make plays off the bounce and create. This in addition to lacking interior D.

For me I am reserving judgment until they show it in league play. I think their non conf lacks as true of a test as a nova or baylor. They havent fattened up on cupcakes by any means but just havent gone up against a top tier team.

Again I respect their program immensely but they tend to fall short due to not quite having the talent level necessary to push them over the hump.

They have earned the benefit of the doubt

A fellow top team in the nation like Syracuse or Arizona likely could have survived that schedule with 0 losses as well, but no way there would be more than 7 or 8 teams that would have done the same.

Home - Top 25 teams in Florida and St. Louis at home, Top 50 Marquette in a rivalry game.

Road - Virginia (43 in KP), West Virginia (61), Green Bay (85)

Road games are tough. None of those above three are great teams, but they are decent. I can guarantee you many top 25 teams would slip up once in those 3 games.

Just to clarify,

Neutral: SLU, SJU, and WVU
Home: Florida, Marquette
Away: UWGB, UVA, Northwestern

we also played them in the 4th game of our tour, Wisconsin in their first . . . and Ryan was working in 6 freshman in their very first court time together

they call them exhibitions for a reason . . . that loss is meaningless; but the lessons learned have paid dividends (for us, too, I might add)
Are you still sticking with your sweet 16 prediction for this team? Also, you don't think Ryan was playing to win that game?

Last edited:
I genuinely dislike Bo Ryan. I don't care of his team is good, I'm not giving him a shred of respect.

They knew they had a very reliable big play guard in Jackson, and everyone forgot about Gasser b/c of the injury. Now they have two excellent PGs.
I've watched Bucky play a few different times so far and I wouldn't call either of those guys "excellent." Perhaps "solid" but no way excellent.
Agree on Kaminski and Dekker, though - those two are what make them the very good team they are.

Just to clarify,

Neutral: SLU, SJU, and WVU
Home: Florida, Marquette
Away: UWGB, UVA, Northwestern

I took the results from an app on my phone that is apparently not reliable.

You guys think wisky is better than us at this point?

No, but Wisconsin is the type of team than can start hitting threes and slow the game down at the same time. If they do both things well, it'll be hard for the Cuse to get a trademark run going and hard to create separation. That can cause doubt and rushed shots -- admittedly not likely the way Ennis has been handling the point, but if SU catches a poor shooting night at the same time, it won't end well. That's all I'm saying.-VBOF

CJ played all the first half didn't he? I forget if the played at all in the second.

Respect the Ravens - they are no Lemoyne. They have done these close games against elite teams for a while. While there absolutely are factors that make these games closer for Carleton, this year's team (which may be there most talented ever) would compete for an at-large/NIT bid (IMO)
CJ had been injured in the previous game. He started, but did not play well. Appeared to be bothered by the ankle injury, didn't move well and was tentative on offense and defense. Re-injured his ankle in the first half and never returned. Was never a factor in the game.

cusetown1 said:
Are you still sticking with your sweet 16 prediction for this team? Also, you don't think Ryan was playing to win that game?

Do you think JB was playing to win vs Lemoyne?

For most of us, losing and learning are not mutually exclusive.

But what does my preseason prediction have to do with this thread? Other than getting you out of a stupidly argued position?

FWIW, though, yes I still stick with it (and hope that they better it, of course. )

Do you think JB was playing to win vs Lemoyne?

For most of us, losing and learning are not mutually exclusive.

But what does my preseason prediction have to do with this thread? Other than getting you out of a stupidly argued position?

FWIW, though, yes I still stick with it (and hope that they better it, of course. )
Wisconsin was down 25 in that game btw.

Wiscy is pretty legit.. Although there are only a few teams I believe to be a step above the rest right now, I don't think they are yet one of them. But man that Bo Ryan sure knows how to recruit sleepers and manage game time probably better than any other coach in the country.

I still have nightmares of that tournament game a couple years back when Wiscy hit like six threes in a row against us at the end to keep the game close.

Wisky struggling. Exactly the reason I was holding my opinion on them. 2nd half we will see but iowa looks the better squad so far

Wisky struggling. Exactly the reason I was holding my opinion on them. 2nd half we will see but iowa looks the better squad so far

I am sure some in Wisconsin were saying the same thing about Syracuse in the second half yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom