With all the dumb and stuffy rules the NCAA has.... | Syracusefan.com

With all the dumb and stuffy rules the NCAA has....

realcusefan888

Walk On
its amazing that a 27 year MAN can play college football after playing a pro sport for 2-4 years and then return to amateur competition! Its an unfair advantage...27 is lightyears different from 18-22 in terms of physical and mental maturity! This guy made $$$$ playing minor league baseball and how picks on 18 year old corners. It isnt right.

Simply stated the rule should be you have 4 years of eligibility to use before the age of 24. This leaves some wiggle room for red shirts and medical situations. End of story...Just cant route for a 27 year old QB...

You think the NCAA has too many rules but you want to add more? I want less rules, it's entertaining to have an "old" guy giving it a shot

You think the NCAA has too many rules but you want to add more? I want less rules, it's entertaining to have an "old" guy giving it a shot

It wouldnt be more rules it would replace whatever exists at the moment. If you like watching a 27 year old professional baseball player competeing against 18-22 year old kids then you dont get the essence of college football. Not to mention the fact that him on hanging out in the campus center is just flat out...creepy!

It wouldnt be more rules it would replace whatever exists at the moment. If you like watching a 27 year old professional baseball player competeing against 18-22 year old kids then you dont get the essence of college football. Not to mention the fact that him on han
ging out in the campus center is just flat out...creepy!

Haha I'll give you that

the essence of college football.

Some how I think the essence of college football was corrupted many years ago.

I disagree. It's college football not post high school football. If you're a college student then you should be eligible unless you are a professional in a particular sport. I don't dispute the physical maturity of older players but the younger players have some advantages too (youth and stamina?). And what's wrong with a 27 year old student hanging out at the campus center? Older students aren't all that uncommon around campuses particularly schools with big grad schools. More power to him!

Let's just say I'm over 30, and I've just returned to school to finish my undergrad. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not the oldest student on campus by far. Besides, as some have mentioned, grad students could easily be 27. Now, if he's trolling the campus center for freshmen that's creepy. Saying he's creepy because he's 27 and in college is plain ignorant.

As for him playing football, I've got no problem with it. Just because someone was good at baseball it doesn't mean they'll be good at football after years away from the sport. Just because he is good, doesn't mean a rule should be created just to keep him out when plenty of less talented students past the age of 24 would also be shut out. The failed baseball players that return to college football are few and far between and typically QBs where any physical advantage they have isn't dangerous to others on the field.

did we forget that it was not all that long ago that many of the college kids were much older than 18-22 when they started college.. this is a fairly recent thing in the scope of attending college.

its amazing that a 27 year MAN can play college football after playing a pro sport for 2-4 years and then return to amateur competition! Its an unfair advantage...27 is lightyears different from 18-22 in terms of physical and mental maturity! This guy made $$$$ playing minor league baseball and how picks on 18 year old corners. It isnt right.

Simply stated the rule should be you have 4 years of eligibility to use before the age of 24. This leaves some wiggle room for red shirts and medical situations. End of story...Just cant route for a 27 year old QB...

Haven't you seen the movie Necessary Roughness?

Let's just say I'm over 30, and I've just returned to school to finish my undergrad. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not the oldest student on campus by far. Besides, as some have mentioned, grad students could easily be 27. Now, if he's trolling the campus center for freshmen that's creepy. Saying he's creepy because he's 27 and in college is plain ignorant.

As for him playing football, I've got no problem with it. Just because someone was good at baseball it doesn't mean they'll be good at football after years away from the sport. Just because he is good, doesn't mean a rule should be created just to keep him out when plenty of less talented students past the age of 24 would also be shut out. The failed baseball players that return to college football are few and far between and typically QBs where any physical advantage they have isn't dangerous to others on the field.

well good luck finishing your undergrad, however, the premise of my argument is that being 27 gives you a physical and mental maturity advantage. if you never played any level of college sports then you may not get it. ask any guy that played and most will say that they wish they had the work ethic, maturity, physicality, and knowledge of the game at 18-22 that they realize maybe in their mid 20's. this has nothing to do with baseball, i obviously know neither sport translates to the other, its the fact he was a paid professional for a number of years and that leads to my second problem with this...once an athlete goes down this road, college eligibility should be forfeited.

well good luck finishing your undergrad, however, the premise of my argument is that being 27 gives you a physical and mental maturity advantage. if you never played any level of college sports then you may not get it. ask any guy that played and most will say that they wish they had the work ethic, maturity, physicality, and knowledge of the game at 18-22 that they realize maybe in their mid 20's. this has nothing to do with baseball, i obviously know neither sport translates to the other, its the fact he was a paid professional for a number of years and that leads to my second problem with this...once an athlete goes down this road, college eligibility should be forfeited.
It may give you a physical and mental maturity over when you (the athlete) were 18-22, but I can probably give you a gazillion examples of athletes of all sports that certainly aren't as physically developed as some college students if not even some HSers and could give you even more examples of 27 year olds far more immature than most college students if not less mature than my 4 year old.

Unfortunately football players don't have as many avenues to the pros as baseball, hockey and even basketball have. For most football players you're better off returning to the college level as a tryout for the NFL, that's basically what NCAA Football has become anyway. I understand your point about their advantage, but unless you begin to see 1,2 or even 3 "overage" players on every team and in different positions aside from QB and K, I wouldn't expect there to be any changes.

This guy is 61
Link

South Carolina under Lou Holtz years ago had a 41 year old walk-on TE on the team. I don't have any problems with any amateur who is enrolled in the university playing sports for their school. If your an 18 yr kid like Bubba Starling in KC and the Royals draft you and give 8.1 million dollars and you can play minor league baseball or you can go to Nebraska and compete for the QB job the choice is obvious you take the money. Then if the kid flames out in baseball he can go and play QB for Nebraska and have 8.1 million dollars. I got no problem with the kids doing that, I wish the NCAA would allow athletes like Jeremy Bloom to take their sponsorship money from their marketing rights and play college football. Jay Bilas has been all over this issue if you don't want to pay kids while in college fine, but allow them to make money off their marketing ability. Have school sponsored autograph sessions and if fans want to buy the kids jerseys and have them autographed compensate the kids for their autographs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom