With HB2 keeping ACC events out of NC is a Barclay's/Brooklyn & Verizon Center/DC split most likely? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With HB2 keeping ACC events out of NC is a Barclay's/Brooklyn & Verizon Center/DC split most likely?

Does the conference tournament come under the auspices of the politically correct NCAA?
No but the ACC has pulled all championships from NC in the last year.
WBB tourney was in SC.
FB championship game was moved from Charlotte to Orlando.

Until the law is repelled the ACC won't have championships in NC.
Same for the NCAA.

Get it to MSG as soon as possible and keep it there.

ACC is the best basketball conference, put it in the venue and location it deserves.

The Old Big East Days are gone.

The ACC is primarily a Southeastern conference. Most of the ACC schools, boosters and fans do not think of NYC as "center stage".

I think you will hear a lot of complaining his year about Brooklyn as a site from most of the schools.

The ACC is primarily a Southeastern conference. Most of the ACC schools, boosters and fans do not think of NYC as "center stage".

I think you will hear a lot of complaining his year about Brooklyn as a site from most of the schools.
Most complained when it was in DC too. The UNC/Duke/NC State fans think it should be in Greensboro every year which is a terribly bland arena in a boring area.

After HB2 is repealed, I would like to see a rotation of DC/NY/and either Charlotte or Raleigh. Greensboro should be shelved.

Ha. You can get a hot dog or a cold pretzel there. No suites really from what I remember. It's the kind of place where Poison and Ratt would share a twin bill

did you go to a show in that 1987 epic tour?

Worst Rock Band Double Bills — Ever!

92.jpeg

Most complained when it was in DC too. The UNC/Duke/NC State fans think it should be in Greensboro every year which is a terribly bland arena in a boring area.

After HB2 is repealed, I would like to see a rotation of DC/NY/and either Charlotte or Raleigh. Greensboro should be shelved.

Greensboro just doesn't work. Arena way away from downtown and multiple teams sharing hotels.

D.C./NY/Charlotte would be the best way to go once NC is available again.

Can't have it on NC state's home floor.

Isn't there a decent sized arena in Charleston?
14,000 which would be small for the ACC. Also that arena has no history of hosting major events. It probably lacks the sort of backstage area needed for the ACC Tournament. You need four dressing rooms, a big media room and a big hospitality area for fat cats. But Charleston is a great place to visit.

I'm not sure of the status now but there was talk a few years ago about Norfolk building a big arena and trying to get an NBA team and the ACC Tournament. I'm not sure many people outside Norfolk thought that was feasible.

Realistically, unless a big new arena goes up somewhere or NC is able to repeal HB 2, we're probably left with NYC, DC and Atlanta. I suppose someone could make an argument for Philly or Orlando but I don't see that happening.

Until they get there.

I honestly don't care about the old big east. The version that I loved has been gone for many years.

MSG is the greatest venue in the largest market in the US. It doesn't share the spotlight with any other location. Take advantage of it.

It's also insanely easy to get to right off of transportation. It's historic. And there are plenty of ACC fans to fill up the place.

If it were up to me we'd play it in the West Potomac High School gym in Alexandria, VA.

Short trip and it would be an upgrade from where the ladies play their tourney.

If the ACC wants to dominate the landscape and make the ACCT THE conference tourney, they must move away from Greensboro, Charlotte, etc. I know it'll be difficult to pry the location away from the cold, dead hands of the NC mafia, but this tourney belongs in a major destination market. It belongs in NYC. Or at least DC. Playing a conference tourney in freakin' Greensboro should be reserved for the Big South, not the ACC.

If it were up to me we'd play it in the West Potomac High School gym in Alexandria, VA.

Short trip and it would be an upgrade from where the ladies play their tourney.
what? the Ratt/Poison twin bill reunion tour??

saw the original at the RPI Fieldhouse, its basically a glorified HS gym. that place got everything before the Knick was built. Iron Maiden, Rush, Judas Priest, Ozzy...hell, I think I saw the Ozzy tour where Metallica opened up during the Master of Puppets era...yep Cliff Burton bitches!!

boy, was RATT was pretty big for a while.

any way, like many have said, the ACC needs to get to the Garden or its better off in DC.

but since we are all throwing hats into the ring (o79, great line but I think the Dome would be the wool cap :cool:) I say lets play at the Rock in Newark. you got Amtrak, the Path, the airport is an easy commute, cars can drive. total no brainer.

and the arena blows Barclays out of the water.

The Big Ten is in DC this week.

I do think D.C. will be part of the rotation. People need to realize Greensboro is the home of the ACC and it will be in the rotation as well.

Charlotte is a compromise as well as their are tons of transplants here in Charlotte and it's close for Clemson.

If HB2 is repealed I see the rotation being NYC/DC/Greensboro/Charlotte.
MSG isn't happening because the conference won't commit full time and that is what MSG requires.

You will never get the ACC tournament completely out of the South. Stop and think of where the majority of the teams are located.

Greenville is not a bad suggestion. Decent facility and town.

Well, the ACC couldn't play the tourney in DC this year ... because the Big Ten is at the Verizon Center.

The Big Ten plays next year at MSG but because The Big East has priority they will have to play the Tourney a week before the Big East. Which will give Big Ten teams up to two weeks between the end of their Tournament and the start of the NCAA tournament.

You will never get the ACC tournament completely out of the South. Stop and think of where the majority of the teams are located.

Greenville is not a bad suggestion. Decent facility and town.
I have been to Greenville. It is a charming town. I liked my stay there.

However, I don't think it has the hotel rooms to handle the ACC tournament and it definitely doesn't have the arena (it holds less than 15K for basketball).

For comparison purposes:

Greensboro Coliseum holds 23.500.
Verizon Center holds 20,356.
MSG holds 19,812.

Barclay's Center is bad enough with a capacity of 17,732.

The Big Ten is in DC this week.

I do think D.C. will be part of the rotation. People need to realize Greensboro is the home of the ACC and it will be in the rotation as well.

Charlotte is a compromise as well as their are tons of transplants here in Charlotte and it's close for Clemson.

If HB2 is repealed I see the rotation being NYC/DC/Greensboro/Charlotte.
MSG isn't happening because the conference won't commit full time and that is what MSG requires.

Is Tampa/St. Pete in the rotation? I admit I haven't followed this very closely.

No but the ACC has pulled all championships from NC in the last year.
WBB tourney was in SC.
FB championship game was moved from Charlotte to Orlando.

Until the law is repelled the ACC won't have championships in NC.
Same for the NCAA.

Actually, the law has been repelling since the day it was passed, IMO. However, the Republicans in the state have so gerrymandered the districts that its repeal date is unknown. Having said that, the tournament has been in Atlanta in the past, and it will probably return. Furthermore, if you were concerned about the number of hotel rooms which might be available, Tampa and, especially, Orlando have more than enough. They also have enough family-friendly activities there to attract folks from schools likely to lose in the early rounds. Regardless, North Carolina, when there is a return to sanity, remains the best location for the tournament.

Is Tampa/St. Pete in the rotation? I admit I haven't followed this very closely.
The ACC has had one basketball tournament in Tampa in 2007.

So they could apply for it again in the future.