With Krautman a senior this year I think NOrton needs a few scoring opportunities | Syracusefan.com

With Krautman a senior this year I think NOrton needs a few scoring opportunities

CaliCuse

All American
He has the leg but we need to see him kick with some pressure on him. It takes more than just a strong leg in that position. Controlled nerves is almost a mandated requirement. If he can't hack it SS must start searching for the next great kicker in Syracuse history. Norton also must be a bit more consistent on kick offs getting the ball deep Removing the possibility of a return relieves a ton of stress on the coverage unit which at times gets lost in their lanes allowing far too many yards.

He has the leg but we need to see him kick with some pressure on him. It takes more than just a strong leg in that position. Controlled nerves is almost a mandated requirement. If he can't hack it SS must start searching for the next great kicker in Syracuse history. Norton also must be a bit more consistent on kick offs getting the ball deep Removing the possibility of a return relieves a ton of stress on the coverage unit which at times gets lost in their lanes allowing far too many yards.
You don't not let your starting kicker kick because you want your backup to get pressure reps for next year. There's this thing called practice, but otherwise it's trial by fire the first time a kicker gets the opportunity. Everyone's gotta start from the bottom

For the 8 billionth time, Cali. It's really not as simple as "stay in your lanes" on kicks. It's also not as easy as "form a wall and get big returns" on punts. Try running at full speed, trying to locate the ball while being blocked by a kid that's just as strong as you and see how well you can "stay in a lane". Also I'd rather not remove a 3 year starter at kicker.

For the 8 billionth time, Cali. It's really not as simple as "stay in your lanes" on kicks. It's also not as easy as "form a wall and get big returns" on punts. Try running at full speed, trying to locate the ball while being blocked by a kid that's just as strong as you and see how well you can "stay in a lane". Also I'd rather not remove a 3 year starter at kicker.
If the dopey coach just called more touchdown plays, we'd be a lot better off.

From SUAthletics.com re: Ross K.:

Ranks second on SU’s career field goal percentage record list (.787 pct., 48-61), fourth on SU’s career field goals made list (48), fourth in career points (250) and fourth in career PATs (106) ...

I think he'll be just fine. No reason to think that he can't hack it. No need to keep throwing the current players under the bus.

Practice and spring game is where you evaluate the back-ups. That is why they have a spring game, to evaluate young talent in a game environment. In regard to Norton being more consistent on kickoffs, the kickoff coverage team was 118 out of 120 in country in 2011. By the next season it jumped to 2nd out of 120. The combination of 4+sec hang time and placement of the ball combined with speed and instinct from Morgan and the rest of the coverage team made that happen. Check out the link below.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1058

This thread is friggin great on so many funny levels.

I'm fine with Norton coming in to kick when SU is winning 42-0 or so by the 3rd quarter which I fully expect to happen each week.

And yes, the kickoff team did a great job and those kickoffs hang time started it along with improved player with speed.