With news about the fact Cleveland tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh. Marrone-NYG possible | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With news about the fact Cleveland tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh. Marrone-NYG possible

I have to think Ben McAdoo has a great chance to step right from the coordinator's position into the head coaching chair once Coughlin steps down. Not saying it is a sure thing, but McAdoo had plenty of options this offseason. I would not surprise me if the possibility was mentioned to him. I'm sure nothing was guaranteed, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was discussed at length.

Doug is a good coach.

But he's not Lombardi.

Why the hell would the Giants do that? WHY?!
Listen, I wouldn't trade for Marrone, but I was just having a little fun because its the offseason. I remember the thread a couple of months ago where we discussed Marrone and the Giants.

I wouldn't have traded a first round pick in 2000 and I am a Patriots fan for Bill Belichick but that was a damn good trade.

Only 3 coaches have been traded. Jon Gruden to Tampa fetched the Raiders 2 first round picks, Belichick costed the Patriots a couple of picks including a 1st rounder pick to the Jets, and Bill Parcells costed the Jets 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks to the Patriots over 3 years. Marrone isn't in their class, but with the news Harbaugh could have been dealt I thought this would be a fun discussion.

2 afc championship games with an expansion team, in jacksonville of all places...thats a pretty impressive resume. sure he has the inevitable bad season fodder, but whatever.

plus, and heres the thing...he had already spent time in the organization and they like that.

you can go back close to 100 years and most guys have been insiders. hell, reeves was basically an insider, when Tom Landry over dinner tells Wellington hes the man to righten the ship, you hire him...and he put Simms back as starter and voilla...playoffs. then he was stuck with dave brown, but yeah he gave us tommy maddox too, ugh. ray perkins was hired by George Young, who was hired when Rozelle told Well that he had to hire him. Arnsbarger seemed like a good idea at the time...and thats it.

1925-2014...3 coaches not in the organizationas a player or coach.

yeah, lets trade a draft pick to the fluckin bills to get marrone.

:rolling:

this is so comical i just had to post in this thread again.

Oh Lord
I'm not necessarily suggesting trading a pick to get Marrone. I'm not even saying Marrone is the best for the job, although maybe he would be. I'm saying the Giants can't necessarily go get whoever they want from another team, just because they're the Giants (as opposed to what someone else suggested). I'm using past hires as evidence of it. I'm also saying that lack of a resume doesn't mean someone isn't a good coach. How good have the guys that I've mentioned been? Multiple super bowl wins suggests pretty darn good.

I'm not necessarily suggesting trading a pick to get Marrone. I'm not even saying Marrone is the best for the job, although maybe he would be. I'm saying the Giants can't necessarily go get whoever they want from another team, just because they're the Giants (as opposed to what someone else suggested). I'm using past hires as evidence of it. I'm also saying that lack of a resume doesn't mean someone isn't a good coach. How good have the guys that I've mentioned been? Multiple super bowl wins suggests pretty darn good.
i dont think pro football has 'destination jobs'. theres not a Yankee, Laker or Canadian HC job out there, the salary cap has made that moot. not to mention short periods of dynastys...not decades. i also dont see the Giants going to get whomever they want becauase theyre the Giants either, but i think theres 2 things at play here.

guys like marrone, even if he has success, will never coach the Giants. theres no need to throwing around the NYC muscle and all the championships, to get a hot HC to switch. but say a guy like john fox, if things broke differently, yeah...they may call him up say 'you want in?' and that wouldve been fun to see how it played out (wont happen now btw).

basically, unless youve spent some time inside the velvet ropes, youre not getting the Giants gig. (watch this blow up in my face in a few years, but i doubt it).

and ill say if youve been there, and they want you...you do what you can to go there.

whether you want to call that a destination job or Giants getting whomever they want....its your call.

see alsacs, we're saving your thread....

i dont think pro football has 'destination jobs'. theres not a Yankee, Laker or Canadian HC job out there, the salary cap has made that moot. i also dont see the Giants going to get whomever they want becauase theyre the Giants either, but i think theres 2 things at play here.

guys like marrone, even if he has success, will never coach the Giants. theres no need to throwing around the NYC muscle and all the championships, to get a hot HC to switch. but say a guy like john fox, if things broke differently, yeah...they may call him up say 'you want in?' and that wouldve been fun to see how it played out (wont happen now btw).

basically, unless youve spent some time inside the velvet ropes, youre not getting the Giants gig. (watch this blow up in my face in a few years, but i doubt it).

and ill say if youve been there, and they want you...you do what you can to go there.

whether you want to call that a destination job or Giants getting whomever they want...its your call.

see alsacs, we're saving your thread...
I think we're pretty much in agreement, especially with the bold, which is why my original debate was with a different poster.

I think we're pretty much in agreement, especially with the bold, which is why my original debate was with a different poster.
Sorry - just don't agree. And that's fine. I think there are only a handful of franchises that would have a high number of coaches (and not just current coordinators) lined up for their job. The Giants are one of those. I consider that a destination job. If your definition is different, that's fine.

Sorry - just don't agree. And that's fine. I think there are only a handful of franchises that would have a high number of coaches (and not just current coordinators) lined up for their job. The Giants are one of those. I consider that a destination job. If your definition is different, that's fine.
Packers, Bears, Patriots, Cowboys, Broncos, Steelers, Redskins, Giants, 49ers, Raiders are the historical good teams in NFL history, but as Kasier said above and is right with the salary cap their is too much parity and any job is good in the NFL if you have a good coach and front office. Their is no Texas/Alabama/USC/Ohio State job in the NFL where you have more an advantage like in college football. The NY Giants job is a Tiffany's piece job, but its not better than the Broncos or Steelers or 49ers job.

If you think a coach will get you where Belichick took the Patriots then I would trade a 1st round pick for the guy, but I don't think Marrone is a Belichick like coach thus I wouldn't trade for him if I was the NY Giants I was just having some fun because its the silly season in the NFL.

Packers, Bears, Patriots, Cowboys, Broncos, Steelers, Redskins, Giants, 49ers, Raiders are the historical good teams in NFL history, but as Kasier said above and is right with the salary cap their is too much parity and any job is good in the NFL if you have a good coach and front office. Their is no Texas/Alabama/USC/Ohio State job in the NFL where you have more an advantage like in college football. The NY Giants job is a Tiffany's piece job, but its not better than the Broncos or Steelers or 49ers job.

If you think a coach will get you where Belichick took the Patriots then I would trade a 1st round pick for the guy, but I don't think Marrone is a Belichick like coach thus I wouldn't trade for him if I was the NY Giants I was just having some fun because its the silly season in the NFL.
What's interesting is how the historically coveted jobs change. Coaches used to want to coach for the Raiders but no more. The Dolphins were considered elite through the '80's but aren't anymore. At one time, the Browns were elite. The Patriots were a laughing stock for a long time until Parcells made them respectable and Belichick made them elite. The Redskins may be entering Raiders territory if Snyder doesn't figure things out.