With this current roster what is the light at the end of the tunnel the next 2-3 years? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With this current roster what is the light at the end of the tunnel the next 2-3 years?

can other university employees get a bonus to pay the remaining cost for their kids? It’s not going to happen.
The AD could give JB a bonus for any reason.
They can put an incentive in his contract easily.
That has nothing to do with the NCAA.
Randy Edsall gets bonuses for having more time of possession, for scoring first in games etc.

The AD and JB could create something easy to give JB an extra 100k a year if he found a recruit and wanted to make Buddy a walk-on.
This isn’t hard at all.

Eh, there is always hope for 2-3 years down the road.

We somehow bring in an Edelin/Melo-light type combination and we're back on track. Obviously we're not getting another Melo, but someone relatively impactful straightaway that can rebound/score/etc...

We would finally have a legit PG, we have some spare parts that could gel well with more seasoned Goodine/Guerrier. Perhaps Edwards turns into something serviceable. A couple other recruits sitting around in their Sophomore year, and there we go!

We have a kinda-GMAC in JGIII, and a super-slow SG, that can play 10-15 minutes a game and hit open jumpers when the defense is forced to help.

So, it could work out if things fall into place...….we're Syracuse so it's just a big recruiting hit away......alas, I fear we have our backcourt for the next three years.

Anything could happen...we may be looking at a last place finish just as easily in 2-3 years. We're not great at recruiting any more.

The AD could give JB a bonus for any reason.
They can put an incentive in his contract easily.
That has nothing to do with the NCAA.
Randy Edsall gets bonuses for having more time of possession, for scoring first in games etc.

The AD and JB could create something easy to give JB an extra 100k a year if he found a recruit and wanted to make Buddy a walk-on.
This isn’t hard at all.

again, it wont happen like that for numerous reasons.

If the current staff put together this team there is nothing to suggest they can improve the roster before JB retires.

Expect the next few years to be similar — .500 records and tourney misses. The team should improve next year, but they’ll lose Hughes and there’s no one who can replace his scoring. So look to year three when we should be respectable and make the tourney.

Eh, there is always hope for 2-3 years down the road.

We somehow bring in an Edelin/Melo-light type combination and we're back on track. Obviously we're not getting another Melo, but someone relatively impactful straightaway that can rebound/score/etc...

We would finally have a legit PG, we have some spare parts that could gel well with more seasoned Goodine/Guerrier. Perhaps Edwards turns into something serviceable. A couple other recruits sitting around in their Sophomore year, and there we go!

We have a kinda-GMAC in JGIII, and a super-slow SG, that can play 10-15 minutes a game and hit open jumpers when the defense is forced to help.

So, it could work out if things fall into place...….we're Syracuse so it's just a big recruiting hit away...alas, I fear we have our backcourt for the next three years.

Anything could happen...we may be looking at a last place finish just as easily in 2-3 years. We're not great at recruiting any more.

So we are ok with the program becoming trash for the next couple of years? I know I am not, and there are others that feel the same. We just need rally the rights group of folks and thing can change. One one is bigger than the program not even JB .UNC survived after Dean Stepped down we will too.

So we are ok with the program becoming trash for the next couple of years? I know I am not, and there are others that feel the same. We just need rally the rights group of folks and thing can change. One one is bigger than the program not even JB .UNC survived after Dean Stepped down we will too.

define trash. and good luck with the rallying.

No one is okay with it. The program has enjoyed a long period of success. For a number of reasons, they’re about to go through a rebuilding phase. It’s not something that can be fixed immediately.

Top 4 ACC talent? we don't have one player on this team, including Hughes, that will sniff the NBA - we are a solid bottom 4 - we have a major recruiting problem

Yeah. I don't see the calvary coming next year. If we lose Hughes, which I expect we will, we could be worse next year.

I would not be shocked if we have back-to-back losing seasons. Then the AD is in a really difficult spot.

Yeah. I don't see the calvary coming next year. If we lose Hughes, which I expect we will, we could be worse next year.

I would not be shocked if we have back-to-back losing seasons. Then the AD is in a really difficult spot.
What about the BoT? What’s their tolerance level? I assume that they can influence any decision as well.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Unless Richmond somehow blows up to Melo levels this year its likely more of the same though Guerrier would be a year older and stronger and you would have to think Edwards and Ajak would now also come into play for some minutes especially Edwards after what is essentially a red-shirt even though it isn't. At this point I guess I am putting or pinning my hopes that Girard takes that next step, Guerrier takes a big leap, Ajak or Edwards surprises and assuming Carey does leave we maybe try and get some sort of grad transfer or JUCO guy who can contribute immediately.

angry_mob.jpg

I think we will be better next year. Out two young centers will be stronger. Which is what they need. Our other young players should be better as well. It is never quite as bad as it looks. I agree that JB has stayed too long. But we are over reacting a bit to what we saw in new York. We were terrible. And we are probably going to be a bad road team. But OSU, Penn St and Virginia are all ranked very high on Ken Poms defensive stats. I am hopeful we will get better as the season goes on.

I think we will be better next year. Out two young centers will be stronger.
I have no confidence this is true. Our centers don't get stronger. They aren't forced to lift. I know I was rough on Chukwu, but he gained no weight the year he was out due to the eye problems. I know he had leg issues one year, but there was no reason for him to not come back 15-25 pounds bigger after the eye issue.

Same is true for BMK, and now Sid and Marek. No changes in their bodies are apparent at all.

I have no confidence this is true. Our centers don't get stronger. They aren't forced to lift. I know I was rough on Chukwu, but he gained no weight the year he was out due to the eye problems. I know he had leg issues one year, but there was no reason for him to not come back 15-25 pounds bigger after the eye issue.

Same is true for BMK, and now Sid and Marek. No changes in their bodies are apparent at all.
Charles-Atlas-01-700x1016.jpg

My concern is the trend being discussed.
How long can a program be down and avoid that becoming a chronic vs acute condition, where the legacy and respect for the program's success is lost and with it the opportunity to recruit the better players needed to resurrect the program?

Once a program hits that low point (ie: chronic), then expect that attracting the top talent required to climb back to national prominence becomes much harder.
Any examples -programs that followed a similar track/timeline and bounced back?

I get what you are saying, but good luck getting Adam Weitsman, Neil Gold, Tirico, McDonough...etc(aka the real money in the program) on your side. They are loyal to JB and are going to play the long game. That’s how I see it.

Why are we talking about Buddy’s scholarship? Who would we have given it to? A walk-on?

Who have we lost because we didn’t have a scholarship to give them...last year, this year or next when Buddy has had one??

I don’t think we’ve legitimately lost anyone due to not having a scholarship to give them since Huerter and that wasn’t because of Buddy.

I think we will be better next year. Out two young centers will be stronger. Which is what they need. Our other young players should be better as well. It is never quite as bad as it looks. I agree that JB has stayed too long. But we are over reacting a bit to what we saw in new York. We were terrible. And we are probably going to be a bad road team. But OSU, Penn St and Virginia are all ranked very high on Ken Poms defensive stats. I am hopeful we will get better as the season goes on.
My point has nothing to do with this season.
We all know we are going to struggle this year but there isn’t going to be a Center next year who can come in and help the offense. If Carey goes then we will lose a PG option.
If it’s going to take 3 years to be competitive that is 9 years of mediocrity from JB. It’s amazing how he can’t see enough is enough.

I am not expecting to win a NC every season or even win a conference title but we are looking at a decade( 9 years to be exact) of mediocre regular season play. If it truly is going to take 2 more years to be top 4 ACC good: That goes on JB’s ledger. He is also sensitive to criticism that isn’t a good mix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom