Women beat men... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Women beat men...

I highly doubt you used a regulation sized mens ball in 4th grade. At least, you didn't in organized basketball competition. Regulation mens balls aren't introduced until middle school/junior high. You were likely using a regulation womens ball in 4th grade.

I'm fairly certain we did, but 4th grade was a good 20ish yrs ago, so I could be mistaken and you might in fact be correct.. If it was in fact a women's ball, I think my point still holds some weight as our hands were much smaller than that of 18-22 yr old women. Outside of organized competition, in the driveway, at school etc, we used a regulation men's basketball.

Cheriehoop said:
plus either raise the hoop 6-8 inches for men or lower it 6-8 inches for women , right?

In a 3 point shooting contest, it makes sense to equalize the conditions, or else why hold it in the first place?

Can someone please then tell me why when I began playing organized basketball in the 4th grade, we were using a regulation men's ball. I can assure you my hands (along when every other kid in the league) were not bigger than 1 single women's college basketball player at the time, yet I was using a bigger basketball. And believe it or not, we actually made some shots. A level playing field means you use the same size ball. I don't understand why they don't make this change in women's hoops.

Same thing. But you get used to whichever you grow up playing with. I started playing with the standard mens size bball around 4th grade and even by 6th grade I couldn't shoot the womens ball worth a damn. By the time high school rolled around I'd be lucky to draw iron with the smaller ball because muscle memory tells you to shoot it the same as you otherwise would. It's not the size as much as the weight difference. Obviously not the same extreme but in theory it's similar to trying to shoot 3's with a mini ball you got from the fair and being confused because a basketball is a basketball.

Same thing. But you get used to whichever you grow up playing with. I started playing with the standard mens size bball around 4th grade and even by 6th grade I couldn't shoot the womens ball worth a damn. By the time high school rolled around I'd be lucky to draw iron with the smaller ball because muscle memory tells you to shoot it the same as you otherwise would. It's not the size as much as the weight difference. Obviously not the same extreme but in theory it's similar to trying to shoot 3's with a mini ball you got from the fair and being confused because a basketball is a basketball.

I completely agree with what you've said. However, if men were to use the same size ball as women from the get-go and develop their muscle memory with the smaller ball, wouldn't they in theory make a higher percentage of shots because they are using the smaller ball? My main point is last night's 3 point competition isn't apples to apples.

I highly doubt you used a regulation sized mens ball in 4th grade. At least, you didn't in organized basketball competition. Regulation mens balls aren't introduced until middle school/junior high. You were likely using a regulation womens ball in 4th grade.

False. But then again, I grew up in an era where men were men!

All seriousness though, in elementary we had all the basketballs together in bins and I remember having to look for the 29.5 vs the 28.5 for practices.

I completely agree with what you've said. However, if men were to use the same size ball as women from the get-go and develop their muscle memory with the smaller ball, wouldn't they in theory make a higher percentage of shots because they are using the smaller ball? My main point is last night's 3 point competition isn't apples to apples.

I get that and you're right. It's not apples to apples but nor would be telling the ladies to use a mens ball or the guys to use a womens ball for the competition. I think the results would be horrid for whichever was asked to change.

I get that and you're right. It's not apples to apples but nor would be telling the ladies to use a mens ball or the guys to use a womens ball for the competition. I think the results would be horrid for whichever was asked to change.

I'm with you, which is why I think the idea of the men vs women 3 pt shooting contest is pointless. It's not an equal playing field, so why have it in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you, which is why I think the idea of the men vs women 3 pt shooting contest is pointless. It's not an equal playing field, so why have it in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

Mehhh. I think they're fun and then we get these types of debates which, although not the intent, will usually end with the "could a mens HS team beat a womans college team?" and the thread getting locked.

It is a bit like having long drive competitions in golf and using the seperate tee's.

Why have a separate league based solely on sex at all. Pure discrimination.

Mehhh. I think they're fun and then we get these types of debates which, although not the intent, will usually end with the "could a mens HS team beat a womans college team?" and the thread getting locked.

It is a bit like having long drive competitions in golf and using the seperate tee's.

Exactly. Its a fun event, not to be taken any further than that. The women can flat out shoot. they are very talented.

Exactly. Its a fun event, not to be taken any further than that. The women can flat out shoot. they are very talented.

I would presume, in general, women are better outside shooters than men because they spend more time working on it outside of practice vs dunking, circus shots, etc.

I would presume, in general, women are better outside shooters than men because they spend more time working on it outside of practice vs dunking, circus shots, etc.

no way. men rule, women drool.

UCONN Men shot .389% this year from 3
UCONN Women shot .372 this year from 3

But... UCONN women opponents shot only .263 against them.

So, I would say the top men and women team shoot about the same from 3, but there is a bigger dropoff in the women's game.

I would rather spend my time talking about cup size than hand sizes

UCONN Men shot .389% this year from 3
UCONN Women shot .372 this year from 3

But... UCONN women opponents shot only .263 against them.

So, I would say the top men and women team shoot about the same from 3, but there is a bigger dropoff in the women's game.

What are the stats from the FT line? Talking 15 foot vs 20 but probably the best comparo because it takes defense out of it

more often that you might think, and it often goes unreported by the man it happens to, for fear of being ridiculed.

Cheriehoop said:
Breanna Stewart is 6'4 and is a center. Can you think of any college with a 6'4" male center? The average overall height of a womens' college basketball player is a little less than 5'10". The average height of college mens basketball player is 6'6". The average height for all women is 5'4" and men is 5'10". Women guards average 5'6"-5"7". Tyler Ennis is supposedly 6'2" - so you are comparing a Breanna Stewart's 6'4" center sized hands with Tyler Ennis' 6'2" point guard's sized hands to make a statement that womens and mens college basketball measurables are equivalent and that women basketball players have an advantage in comparison?

Let's talk wingspan, stride and the difference necessary for the average woman college player to reach the basket vs the average mens college player when shooting. Or maybe why even bother. Do you think that 1/4 inch circumference difference in the ball makes up for the 6-8 inch average difference in height? If not, then maybe the baskets should be lowered 6-8 inches for women and let everyone use the same sized balls.:) Is it that important and to who and why? Honest answers might be pretty revealing. There are great players in both games.

This entire post is why I hate that Q plays a zone. It doesn't work for women's basketball in the way that it does for SU. It's a joke that SU won its first ever tournament game just this year and there's no reason why we can't have a top women's basketball program.

Do we let Danica Patrick race on a wider track or in a more forgiving automobile just because women are worse drivers? Then we shouldn't have separate dimensions for basketball.

so should they have an infinite assortment of ball sizes to choose from like at a bowling alley?

when shaq gets fouled..he would be handed a huge ball for his FT attempts..

then when spud webb is fouled, he is offered a tennis ball.