Wonder how teams will view us next year | Syracusefan.com

Wonder how teams will view us next year

GooseMutt

All Conference
We have been perceived as “ the gang that couldn’t shoot straight” “ unbearably boring zone team” “ tallest team”. “ unworthy team” and a host of others.

I would love a reputation with a strong offensive connotation ( like the unstoppables) but will put the kool aid down.

Instead, I will opt for a tremendous defensive team that loves to run and attack the basket!

Yeah, that’s my dream to be known as “ that running team “

First and foremost time to run the table in the non conference again...

I'm shocked S.U. won as many early season tournaments as they did over the past few decades. One would think early season games would have more random outcomes due to people just getting into rhythm and whatnot. Since the mid or late 80's, S. U. has won in places like Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, on aircraft carriers, on the Moon (okay, I made that last one up, but wait 10 years).

For me, I would like to see continued strong defense and a little more imagination/diversity on offense with a slight improvement in FG %. All should be attainable in my opinion.

I'm shocked S.U. won as many early season tournaments as they did over the past few decades. One would think early season games would have more random outcomes due to people just getting into rhythm and whatnot. Since the mid or late 80's, S. U. has won in places like Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, on aircraft carriers, on the Moon (okay, I made that last one up, but wait 10 years).

We won them because they were all home games

We'll be considered a really strong defensive team, maybe even a great defensive team, with offensive limitations. That will continue until proven otherwise. If we see the starters play the majority of the minutes again, running a similar offense, I'm not sure how improved the offense can actually be. If Hughes and Carey provide not only something different and a spark off the bench, but push JB to actually speed up the offense a bit, we can be much better on that end. I'm waiting to see it happen first.

My guess is something like this:
1529347911097.png

We have been perceived as “ the gang that couldn’t shoot straight” “ unbearably boring zone team” “ tallest team”. “ unworthy team” and a host of others.

I would love a reputation with a strong offensive connotation ( like the unstoppables) but will put the kool aid down.

Instead, I will opt for a tremendous defensive team that loves to run and attack the basket!

Yeah, that’s my dream to be known as “ that running team “
We were that running team in the 80s and around half of the 1990s. Things changed a bit thereafter. For the better in many ways, but not in terms of pace of offense. I miss those days, but as I say that, I am not being critical of JAB or the current staff.

The college game as a whole has changed quite a bit. There used to be games, both squads scoring in the high 80s and low 90s, between good teams. Those are rare these days as defense has evolved and coaches have become overly controlling.

SU and its zone is a bit of an exception at this time, but I don't think it is a coincidence that the top 5-6 programs are all high scoring programs: Nova, Duke, UNC, KU, UK. I think that MSU is another exception, as their program, to me at least, is predicated more on defense than offense (they have a healthy blend).

We'll be considered a really strong defensive team, maybe even a great defensive team, with offensive limitations. That will continue until proven otherwise. If we see the starters play the majority of the minutes again, running a similar offense, I'm not sure how improved the offense can actually be. If Hughes and Carey provide not only something different and a spark off the bench, but push JB to actually speed up the offense a bit, we can be much better on that end. I'm waiting to see it happen first.

Wait... this all seems familiar somehow... :rolling: