Wooden Watch: C.J. Fair | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wooden Watch: C.J. Fair

Agree that CJ is our best player, but why tear Cooney down to build CJ up? No one has ever come close to saying that Trevor is the best player on the team.

If Trevor was more consistent, they might be.

Simple. He's not the best freshman in the country.

He might not be the best NBA prospect among college freshman this year, but he's among the best players. He makes plays that win games more often than most of the other guys.

For what it's worth, Jim Boeheim agrees with Jordoo and the majority of us who think we're better with Cooney on the floor.

Have fun with your take on things, though.

And? I love how people think that a coach is never wrong. Someone call Jim for me and ask him what tonights lotto numbers are going to be.

FYI... Cooney has started sitting more the past couple weeks This is trending as it should. Jim must be wrong in this case guess...

Pitt fans have posted that they think Patterson should be on the list and same with Ennis from your team. They also can't stand that Craft for OSU is on this list. Here is a pretty interesting stat comparison posted by a Pitt fan on the Pitt board comparing Craft to Cam Wright. Cam Wright has develop into a solid player for Pitt but there is not a Pitt in their right mind who would expect him to be anywhere near that type of list.

"Craft is a media creation in their constant need to feed narratives.

His best year, he had an ORtg of 114.5. Cam Wright's is 112.3 this season. Cam is a good player. Nobody would claim that Cam should be included on this.

Craft's best DRtg was an 87.6 and with the implementation of the new rules (taking away his ability to clutch and grab) he's at a 91.9 this year. Cam is at a 91.8. Both have 4.2% Stl%.

This isn't to say that Craft is a terrible player. More to illustrate that this is what his tangible impact on the court has been. Good, not great player. Certainly not a building block to start a program with. And not worthy of anywhere near the media attention he's gotten. His value is almost entirely driven by media narratives about intangibles and grit and clutch and other things he doesn't appear to have any more or less of than your average floor general at a good program."

Craft is as overrated as they come. I remember stating this in a previous thread and getting screamed at by all the experts here. The guy hacks and misses shots. He is the ultimate "pile diver" to use a football term. Just wants to see himself on TV and get praise fro clowns like Dickie V.

FYI... Cooney has started sitting more the past couple weeks This is trending as it should. Jim must be wrong in this case guess...

Didn't he play the entire second half against Pitt?

And? I love how people think that a coach is never wrong. Someone call Jim for me and ask him what tonights lotto numbers are going to be.

Cooney hasn't been sitting more. TC has played more minutes in-conference. And for the big Pitt game, Cooney got 32 while MG got only 8. And this has happened while TC's 3pt % has dropped.

My fear is the rotation has tightened even further. MG is starting to look like a less than 10 mpg type sub. If MG can't get time during TC's offensive struggles, the chances of more time when TC breaks out of it don't seem good. Seems like we are going to need to see some early comfortable leads in order to get PT for a lot of the bench.

Cooney hasn't been sitting more. TC has played more minutes in-conference. And for the big Pitt game, Cooney got 32 while MG got only 8. And this has happened while TC's 3pt % has dropped.

My fear is the rotation has tightened even further. MG is starting to look like a less than 10 mpg type sub. If MG can't get time during TC's offensive struggles, the chances of more time when TC breaks out of it don't seem good. Seems like we are going to need to see some early comfortable leads in order to get PT for a lot of the bench.

TC isnt struggling.. this is what he is. he had a few great games, mostly in the non-conference, but to expect more than what he is doing now is silly. MG brings just as much to the defensive table (if not more), and is a capable shooter.

He is much better as the 3rd guard than Cooney was for us last year. Problem is, Ennis just doesnt sit (nor should he) so the minutes available are only Cooney's.

TC isnt struggling.. this is what he is. he had a few great games, mostly in the non-conference, but to expect more than what he is doing now is silly. MG brings just as much to the defensive table (if not more), and is a capable shooter.

He is much better as the 3rd guard than Cooney was for us last year. Problem is, Ennis just doesnt sit (nor should he) so the minutes available are only Cooney's.
I think TC is struggling a little in-conference, mainly with his 3 pt%. TC is better than a 25% 3pt shooter. TC showed a glimpse of what I am hoping for in the future at BC. A more rounded driving game. But for this year all that we need is the 40% TC we had earlier in the year to be a very dangerous team. Otherwise we have to eke out the games Pitt and Miami style.

Ennis should sit at times. No way, he should play 40. JB tightened up. The game was huge in his mind (and I can understand it, a lot was at stake). I bet with a little reflection he has resolved to get MG time at the point in the first half at Miami.

Early indicators show that in big games, JB is going to have a hard time giving MG and Roberson PT. The problem is, if JB treats all the games as big games, the team as a whole could suffer. I hope to see a more liberal substitution pattern in the first half against Miami.

broken record.jpg

Ennis should sit at times.

I agree. Ennis should sit every four minutes, and for fifteen minutes at halftime as well.

I agree. Ennis should sit every four minutes, and for fifteen minutes at halftime as well.

I disagree. It's important that we win halftime. Tyler needs to be out there.

I think JB needs to figure it out in a hurry, like against Miami quick. Too risky IMO, to keep trotting Ennis out for 40. MG needs some experience. It's not just a long term plus, it could make a difference this season.

I didn't want to have to threaten JB, but if he doesn't do this, I'm going to be upset.

OOC vs Conference

Player A: shooting percentage has gone from .496 to .333 and scoring average has dropped 2.5 points per game
Player B: shooting percentage has gone from .481 to .362 and scoring average has dropped 2 points per game

the differences between the two declines are marginal, and yet, only Player A is constantly referred to as "struggling" or "slumping"

A point in time I saw him as a blend of Pace and Lawrence Moten. Its posts like
I think TC is struggling a little in-conference, mainly with his 3 pt%. TC is better than a 25% 3pt shooter. TC showed a glimpse of what I am hoping for in the future at BC. A more rounded driving game. But for this year all that we need is the 40% TC we had earlier in the year to be a very dangerous team. Otherwise we have to eke out the games Pitt and Miami style.

Ennis should sit at times. No way, he should play 40. JB tightened up. The game was huge in his mind (and I can understand it, a lot was at stake). I bet with a little reflection he has resolved to get MG time at the point in the first half at Miami.

Early indicators show that in big games, JB is going to have a hard time giving MG and Roberson PT. The problem is, if JB treats all the games as big games, the team as a whole could suffer. I hope to see a more liberal substitution pattern in the first half against Miami.
Fans have a different way of defining "struggling" than JB does. If you are getting good shots, and they don't go in, c'est la vie. They will soon. JB's "struggling" is defined by not coveringthe wing in the zone, allowing passes through to the baseline, not blocking out, failing to setting picks. Getting open shots and having them rim out isn't.

Fans have a different way of defining "struggling" than JB does. If you are getting good shots, and they don't go in, c'est la vie. They will soon. JB's "struggling" is defined by not coveringthe wing in the zone, allowing passes through to the baseline, not blocking out, failing to setting picks. Getting open shots and having them rim out isn't.
In the 1/22/14 Mike Waters article titled "Syracuse's Trevor Cooney looking to snap out of shooting slump" he writes "Syracuse assistant coach Gerry McNamara said Cooney's struggles have coincided with the Orange's first five games, but he doesn't believe the mini-slump is due to a step up in competition"

So please excuse this fan for using the Gerry McNamara definition of "struggles".

And do you have a quote referencing JB's definition of "struggling" because it seems like you are just making up.

In the 1/22/14 Mike Waters article titled "Syracuse's Trevor Cooney looking to snap out of shooting slump" he writes "Syracuse assistant coach Gerry McNamara said Cooney's struggles have coincided with the Orange's first five games, but he doesn't believe the mini-slump is due to a step up in competition"

So please excuse this fan for using the Gerry McNamara definition of "struggles".

And do you have a quote referencing JB's definition of "struggling" because it seems like you are just making up.
Well I do admit to taking some degree of poetic licence here. Since I'm not getting paid I may stretch the boundaries a tad.
Seriously I've heard the same theme from JB over the years, on shows, pressers etc. Get good shots. The basic point is TC , IMO, is getting good shots.
I almost remember some of the same concerns with "Mid-Major" James , coincidentally in his sophomore year. He had good shots and wasn't hitting.

Last edited: