World Baseball Classic | Syracusefan.com

World Baseball Classic

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
It starts tomorrow evening at 11 PM with Cuba Vs. Netherlands

Full 2023 World Baseball Classic Preview and Predictions for Every Round

For the first time in six years, the World Baseball Classic is back. The first thing to know is that this is baseball's answer to the FIFA World Cup.

After that, well, there's a lot to know.

For starters, this year's tournament—which was originally slated for 2021, but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic—is quite literally bigger than it's ever been. Only 16 countries were represented in the first four World Baseball Classics in 2006, 2009, 2013 and 2017. For 2023, the field has grown to 20 countries.

Three of the participants are newcomers, so Great Britain, the Czech Republic and Nicaragua deserve props simply on those merits. The other 17 clubs are what you might call the usual suspects, headlined by the World Baseball Classic's three previous champions: Japan (2006 and 2009), the Dominican Republic (2013) and the United States (2017).

As for how the 2023 tournament will work, which are the teams to beat and who are the players to watch and, naturally, who will be crowned champion in the end, read on for our full preview and predictions...

The crowd in the Taiwan game was insane. Baseball atmosphere is so different in Asia.

Ohtani is dealin’ this morning.

crickets GIF

I'm trying to get into it, but having a hard time.

Would have liked if Vlad Guerrero was playing for Canada. (given he has citizenship in both (born in Montreal) and that he plays here). But will respect his choice of where he wants to play - certainly DR is a much better team.

I'm trying to get into it, but having a hard time.

Would have liked if Vlad Guerrero was playing for Canada. (given he has citizenship in both (born in Montreal) and that he plays here). But will respect his choice of where he wants to play - certainly DR is a much better team.
The players and fans from the other nations seem to care about it a lot. The games have been fun. It is much more entertaining than spring training baseball.

Team USA looked good last night.

I think the coolest scenario would be a USA-Japan (i.e., Ohtani) final. There is star power on other teams though.

I can’t help thinking this tournament would have more buzz domestically if it was an ESPN product. I guess it was nice having last night’s game on Fox. A few people may have stumbled onto it.

Team USA looked good last night.

I think the coolest scenario would be a USA-Japan (i.e., Ohtani) final. There is star power on other teams though.

I can’t help thinking this tournament would have more buzz domestically if it was an ESPN product. I guess it was nice having last night’s game on Fox. A few people may have stumbled onto it.
I've been more focused on basketball this weekend, but I did watch the USA game last night. It was pretty fun watching that all star lineup. I got into it more than I expected I would and will definitely watch the rest of the US games and probably others.

The USA survived a nail biter last night. Venezuela has been great. It should be an exciting game.

Baseball is far and away my favorite sport but I have zero interest in watching this.

Baseball is far and away my favorite sport but I have zero interest in watching this.
If you would have followed just a little bit of this tournament you might change your mind.
Amazing atmosphere.

If you would have followed just a little bit of this tournament you might change your mind.
Amazing atmosphere.
I mean sure, seeing Altuve getting plunked would’ve been fun, but I’d rather have my players in spring training preparing for the season. Maybe if it was held in November, I’d have more interest.

To each their own, but plenty of guys have been hurt in spring training.
True. At least they’d be playing for the team that’s paying them and not a country that some have a tenuous connection to.

It also seems a bit like a marketing ploy too. Come and buy these jerseys and hats of your favorite players!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom