World Cup 2026 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup 2026

Noexcuse

Living Legend
Coming to a Country near you! Jointly hosted by the 3 Amigos.

Coming to a Country near you! Jointly hosted by the 3 Amigos.

I guess all 3 countries get the automatic bid for hosting?

I guess all 3 countries get the automatic bid for hosting?
Good question. I think they may have changed that rule. Or maybe it's the prior winner no longer gets an automatic bid.

from what i read all 3 countries get in.. isnt it also up to 48 teams by that time anyway?

from what i read all 3 countries get in.. isnt it also up to 48 teams by that time anyway?
That is correct. U.S. will host 60 games out of the 80 that will be played. I hope they have a better system for ticket sales this time than in 1994. I spent 12 hours on the phone and still got boxed out of the Meadowlands. Ended up going through a Norwegian Tour Company and spent $200 apiece to watch Italy-Norway with a bunch of horn wearing Vikings. I will say the Norwegian women we were sitting with were rather attractive though.

It actually hasn’t been decided yet. There is a precedence to give each team an auto berth, but giving three automatic berths is not a slam dunk. There is some concern by our friends up north that the governing body may not ratify Canada’s automatic qualification.

To me, I doubt they get left out to dry.

Last edited:
It actually hasn’t been decided yet. There is a precedence to give each team an auto birth, but giving three automatic births is not a slam dunk. There is some concern by our friends up north that the governing body may not ratify Canada’s automatic qualification.

To me, I doubt they get left out to dry.

I read that with the expansion to 48 teams, CONCACAF will receive 6 bids to the World Cup. It shouldn’t be a problem with Canada getting an auto bid. There will still be 3 spots available in qualifying and possibly a 7th spot overall available in the new playoff where one team from each confederation takes each other on in a mini tournament.

I doubt they will give the countries automatic qualifying.
As it will be really hard for them to get friendlies during qualifying for other continents.
With 48 teams and 6.5 bids the US should qualify easily.

I think USA and Mexico will want to play real competitive matches as if they don’t then they will play a lot of cupcake friendlies.

I read that with the expansion to 48 teams, CONCACAF will receive 6 bids to the World Cup. It shouldn’t be a problem with Canada getting an auto bid. There will still be 3 spots available in qualifying and possibly a 7th spot overall available in the new playoff where one team from each confederation takes each other on in a mini tournament.

I'm not saying they won't get an auto-birth, but was just pointing out that it is not an absolute right now -- and certain CAN soccer writers are getting nervous about the ratification vote. CAN has made a huge step up in their youth development (including having the best young player in MLS). I wouldn't count them out on qualifying anyway, but it's not a sure thing and excellent journalists have been pointing that out.

I doubt they will give the countries automatic qualifying.
As it will be really hard for them to get friendlies during qualifying for other continents.
With 48 teams and 6.5 bids the US should qualify easily.

I think USA and Mexico will want to play real competitive matches as if they don’t then they will play a lot of cupcake friendlies.

Yes, the US should qualify, with “should”
being the key word. Is that something you really want to risk though as unlikely as it may be? I see your point with wanting to play competitive matches but I think I’d take the automatic berth.

We will host the tournament and still be so bad not to qualify! Canada soccer baby !!!!

I don't give a crap about the soccer itself. I am hoping this somehow creates a new baseball stadium in Montreal that can be temporarily retrofitted for the World Cup in 2026... but logistically it seems hard to come up with.

I don't give a crap about the soccer itself. I am hoping this somehow creates a new baseball stadium in Montreal that can be temporarily retrofitted for the World Cup in 2026... but logistically it seems hard to come up with.
I have been saying the Rays should move to Montreal.
They would have 57 games a year against the Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees.
If they can’t draw fans out with 27 games at a home a year against those teams then baseball is dead there.
The Rays aren’t drawing that is sure.
If they got a stadium it would be perfect for them to get a team.

Montreal has to be offering up the MLS teams stadium for a match or two.

I doubt the 2026 bid will have any new stadiums.

We will host the tournament and still be so bad not to qualify! Canada soccer baby !!!!

CPL is kicking off in 2019! There could be 11-13 tier 1 sanctioned teams in the country by then (counting MTL, VAN, and TOR in MLS). Find a few more talents like Alphonso Davies and Cyle Larin (especially with the help of a booming immigrant population) and who knows what could happen.

Hopefully getting the Cup will be like the US's 1994 soccer boom for you guys!

Supposedly the opening match will be at Azteca.
However there will be 3 games on the opening day and a match in every countey.

I can see an afternoon game at Azteca.
Early afternoon match in Toronto.
Late night match in LA.

I really hate the idea of 16 groups of 3.
It just puts all the pressure of getting a result in the opening match.

It would be better off with 12 groups of 4 and just have the top 3 in each group advance.

If they can’t draw fans out with 27 games at a home a year against those teams then baseball is dead there.

Saputo is small for a World Cup stadium -- probably like 19 or 20K. The Impact play some major home games (and early season games) at Olympic Stadium which has to fit 60-70K, it just needs grass. I would guess they'd put the games there (and hopefully give the stadium a facelift).

Saputo is small for a World Cup stadium -- probably like 19 or 20K. The Impact play some major home games (and early season games) at Olympic Stadium which has to fit 60-70K, it just needs grass. I would guess they'd put the games there (and hopefully give the stadium a facelift).
Probably right. Canada is getting 10
Matches.
I would expect Toronto to get 3 group stage matches and 1 round of 32/16 match.
Edmonton to get 3 group stage matches.
Montreal to get 3 group stage matches.
With the Canadian team likely playing 1 match in each of cities.

The MLS stadium does not seem to be big enough... they used the Big Owe for the Woman's World Cup, but I would think there is no way the Artificial Turf would work. Maybe by 2026 they can figure the logistics for that.

They will have to build a new stadium for baseball if they get a baseball team anyway. While the Big Owe is drawing crowds of 45-50,000 for a couple of exhibition games at the end of March, that is not sustainable solution.

Baseball might work again in Montreal. There was just to much damage from 1990 to 2004, that it needs some time to heal. I think it would be very popular again at first... but Montreal crowds are quick to leave when they get crapped on. They stop showing up. And that is not always going to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom