Worst.Bullpen.Ever | Syracusefan.com

Worst.Bullpen.Ever

It's just awful to watch. And now the starting pitching is starting to regress to the mean (although Niese was very good tonight), and our hitting just isn't any good outside of Wright...this is getting rough very quickly.

Fortunately we've got great starting pitching: Santana, Pelfrey, Dickey, Niese, Gee. Ohhh...that's right. Shjt! :mad:

Fortunately we've got great starting pitching: Santana, Pelfrey, Dickey, Niese, Gee. Ohhh...that's right. Shjt! :mad:

Thank god Miguel Batista and his rubber arm is always available...

Crap.

what is it with nyc sports teams.. there is forever the "other team" and then the one team that typically wins and is not the joke of the league..

hey 3 starting pitchers on the DL isn't that big an issue. I think Toronto has like 8 pitchers on the DL. Pitchers constantly get hurt.

I think the biggest upset is that Chris Young is healthy.

Yeah, last 2 games they scored 5 runs combined; not exactly an offensive outburst. I think in the 8 games prior to that they had averaged 5 runs per game and were 1-7 or something.

sell, baby, sell!

I know I am in the minority, but I would love to see them spin Johan for some half decent prospects

Three starters and the closer on the DL. Only the Mets.

No, the Blue Jays have worse numbers that this.

At one point this year they lost 3 starters in SEVEN days, including Brandon Morrow, who was pitching great baseball.

No, the Blue Jays have worse numbers that this.

At one point this year they lost 3 starters in SEVEN days, including Brandon Morrow, who was pitching great baseball.

But the Mets have nothing else besides their starting staff and David Wright. The rest of the team is journeymen or triple-a guys.

what is it with nyc sports teams.. there is forever the "other team" and then the one team that typically wins and is not the joke of the league..
Down here is just winners and losers. And dont get caught on the wrong side of that line.

Last week Alex Plavin, filling in for the Axeman, blamed Sandy Alderson for acquiring releif ptichers who couldn't do the job. I decided to look at the ERA's of the Mets relief pitchers who were not rookies and compare it to their career numbers prior to this season. I've listed them in order of innings pitched.

Miguel Batista 46.2ip prior ERA 4.47 this year: 4.82
Bobby Parnell 40.2ip prior ERA 4.32 this year: 3.10
Ramon Ramirez 39.1ip prior ERA 3.16 this year: 4.55
Jon Rauch 34.2ip prior ERA 3.82 this year: 3.63
Frank Francisco 29.0ip prior ERA 3.72 this year: 4.97
Tim Byrdak 27.1ip prior ERA 4.29 this year: 4.28
Manny Acosta 22.0ip prior ERA 3.41 this year: 11.86
Pedro Beato 4.1ip prior ERA 4.30 this year: 10.38
DJ Carrasco 3.2ip prior ERA 4.48 this year: 7.36

Parnell, who has been with the Mets all along is actually performing better on the year than in prior years. Rauch and Brydak have performed as one might have expected. Batista has been a little worse than in the past. Ramierez and Francisco have been clearly worse with Carrasco, Beato and Acosta have been disasters. Beato (Beatupo) has been sent down to Buffalo and Acosta called up to replace him. He's be an improvement if he pitched as he has in the past but not if it's more of the same this year.

Ramirez, Rauch and Francisco were the off-season acquistions. Rauch has had some lapses but has basically given the Mets what could be expected. The other two were disappointments. All three were basically what the Mets could afford, given their circumstances. They traded Jose Pagan, a good player, to get Ramirez and Andres Torres. Rauch and Francisco were free agents.

sell, baby, sell!

I know I am in the minority, but I would love to see them spin Johan for some half decent prospects

Johan's trade value, considering the contract, has to be negative.

I think the Mets best bet is to keep Johan, hope the ankle injury is the reason he was so awful the last 3 starts, and ride with him for the rest of this year and next. To even get halfway decent prospects, you're going to have to eat so much of the money (Santana is owed $31 million for next year; assuming the Mets buy him out of 2014, plus $10 million or so for the rest of this year) that I think you are better off keeping him and hoping he rebounds back to the pitcher he was in the first half of the year. (Plus, you know, his entire career as well)

The problem I had with the off-season was the Mets took basically all the excess money they had, and spent it on relievers, who are the least predictable class of player in the majors. Didn't seem like the best usage of their limited funds.

as a mets and knicks fan, havent seen the good side in a long time.. visions of starks and ventura are a distant memory..
Your response makes me feel guilty if those a good times! ;)

Better check the Blue Jays

I think I would have become a Blue Jays fan as well as a Mets fan if the local cable company had picked up their games. I always wanted an American league team to root for as well as a national league team. But nothing ever clicked. If it had, I'd be saying "Only the Mets and the Blue Jays!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom