Worst JB Team Ever | Syracusefan.com

Worst JB Team Ever

orange2win

2nd String
This is JB's 19th team this century. He had 23 last century. I have seen them all and I think this year's team may be the worst. Brace yourself for rough ride.

Check which JB team in the past did not have any McDAAs, had only one 5 star rated recruit, had 4 or less returning players and was challenged with 7 new faces to learn the system. I can't recall one.

I know the star rating system really only applies to this century, but for over a decade last century we had at least 3 McDAA on every team, so the talent back then then was much better than now.

Maybe these kids will surprise me, but truth is, stats rarely lie.

This is JB's 19th team this century. He had 23 last century. I have seen them all and I think this year's team may be the worst. Brace yourself for rough ride.

Check which JB team in the past did not have any McDAAs, had only one 5 star rated recruit, had 4 or less returning players and was challenged with 7 new faces to learn the system. I can't recall one.

I know the star rating system really only applies to this century, but for over a decade last century we had at least 3 McDAA on every team, so the talent back then then was much better than now.

you might want to wait until you actually see the team before you make a judgment. See, the thing is, we have no idea how good Marek is. We have really little idea how good Brissett is. We have no idea what TT and Battle will look like this year.

I thought 2001 would be that, and they went 25-9.

They had Shumpert returning as a 10 ppg game...I didn't see him turning into 20 ppg. Damone Brown was like a 10 pts. 5 rebounds game guy for 2 straight years...he made the leap into a 16 and 8 and consistent big time player. Allen Griffin had been a backup PG for 2 years and a shaky starting SG for one. He made the leap. Those 3 guys all made enormous jumps in their games. So much so that the fact we started Billy Celluck or a freshman Jeremy McNeil at center didn't hurt us all that much.

That team had more continuity as it basically had a bunch of reserves stepping into bigger roles, and didn't have all the new guys. But talent wise on paper, things weren't looking real promising. Deshaun Williams was probably the biggest recruit, but he wasn't a 5 star type.

Cancel the season. No sense playing the games.

I thought 2001 would be that, and they went 25-9.

They had Shumpert returning as a 10 ppg game...I didn't see him turning into 20 ppg. Damone Brown was like a 10 pts. 5 rebounds game guy for 2 straight years...he made the leap into a 16 and 8 and consistent big time player. Allen Griffin had been a backup PG for 2 years and a shaky starting SG for one. He made the leap. Those 3 guys all made enormous jumps in their games. So much so that the fact we started Billy Celluck or a freshman Jeremy McNeil at center didn't hurt us all that much.

That team had more continuity as it basically had a bunch of reserves stepping into bigger roles, and didn't have all the new guys. But talent wise on paper, things weren't looking real promising. Deshaun Williams was probably the biggest recruit, but he wasn't a 5 star type.

That was a weak BE that year. BC as the top club was upset in the second round. I don't remember anyone getting past the Sweet Sixteen that year. I've got no idea if the ACC next year as a whole is comparable.

you might want to wait until you actually see the team before you make a judgment. See, the thing is, we have no idea how good Marek is. We have really little idea how good Brissett is. We have no idea what TT and Battle will look like this year.

100% agree. We've got a good amount of young promising guys with high ceilings. Our non conference performance has killed us the past few years, but I think we can pick it up this year and beat Maryland and we'll definitely be ready to roll once conference play rolls around, so I think we will turn some heads next year.

Your name wouldn't be Debbie, would it? Just wondering...:rolleyes:

I agree. Stats don't lie. Stats however are objective measures which require zero human intervention. Star ratings and all star games are not stats.

I like the provocative post, and I think you make your point well, but I disagree.

The game has changed. Because of 1-and-done, many DI schools are fielding their worst team in years. Look at Pittsburgh and UConn, as two obvious examples we know about.

Every NCAA division team except for the super-elites are worse off than they were 10 or 20 years ago. Everybody is scrambling to put together teams that have been turned upside down by early exits or transfers coming and going. And even the super-elites have their down years in this new reality.

I think we will be fine and even good. We don't have to beat Georgetown in the late 80's, or Kentucky in '96. We are playing other schools similarly affected by the change in rules that have diminished our product.

The board laments our present circumstance. And many posters feel like the 2010's have sucked. Hell, we've gone to two final fours this decade. We are widely loathed for our success. 95% plus of the schools in D1 would kill for the kind a failure we are currently experiencing. Maybe the old man can coach after all.

upload_2017-6-14_6-20-18.gif

I'm finding i cannot predict how the season will play out anymore based on the traditional indicators i used to use. McDonald's all Americans, stars, Individual stats. I just strap in and try to enjoy the ride. I'm thinking seniors in a system in by far now the best indicator of potential success. But who really knows

2004, 2005, 2006 off the top of my head would include all but the 4 or less returning players.

Would you be more optimistic if we had Michael Edwards to run the point? But seriously, I am worried about the forwards the most. I think Brissett will be the best freshman but we really need need Marek or Moyer to step and be solid.

Last edited:
Would you be more optimistic if we had Michael Edwards to run the point? But seriously, I am worried about the forwards the most. I think Brissett will be the best freshman but we really need need Marek or Moyer to step and be solid.

If forward is your biggest worry I think you are going to be in for a surprise. Those three guys will make a very solid forward rotation this year IMO. If they are all back the following season we will be better at forward than we've been in a long time.

Last edited:
If forward is your biggest worry I think you are going to be in for a surprise. Those three guys will make a very solid forward rotation this year IMO. If they are all back the following season we will be better at forward than we've been in a long time.

I probably said that a bit stronger than I meant to. I agree that the trio will be solid but they are probably my biggest question mark heading into the season just simply because they are unproven.

Here are some things to consider.
1: we have a solid guard rotation. Each guy can play both positions. Thorpe and Washington can shoot. Frank has talent if he can get his head straight.
2: we have 3 solid centers. TT, Chewy, Sid Vicious. This is a huge upgrade over last year.
3: Euro Bris and Moyer can play the 3 as well as Battle if needed.
4: Moyer TT Sid Euro Bris can play the 4.
Lots of depth, lots of Combos, great size, adequate shooting, a star in Battle. Looks like we have a ton of solid pieces. I like this squad way better than last year. Defensively we should be greatly improved and i think that we will also be much better on O. Solid team.

I agree. Stats don't lie. Stats however are objective measures which require zero human intervention. Star ratings and all star games are not stats.
Stats may not lie but they can be manipulated and cherry picked. choose the right ones and Trump is the most loved president since anyone! Pick another set is about to be lynched by both parties supported by the general public! "since the 22-0 start SU is blah, blah blah." Ignore 70% of a season? Ignore a final 4 run? Yup stats don't lie as long as you pick the right ones!

This team probably won't be the worst. It's unlikely any of his future teams will be worse than the worst one he's had. We're well past that level and not really looking back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom