Worst period in Syracuse football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst period in Syracuse football

Buzz had a "small" vision for SU. He pictured a slimmed-down 10,000 undergrad enrollment with tightly budgeted athletics that turned all their money over to the general fund (a cash cow).
Where is SU now? A 14,000 undergrad enrollment school that is making some better investment in their athletic programs (though at the expense of some of the "minor" men's programs).
I like the Nancy vision better than the Buzz vision, even though he could easily take her to the hoop. :)
academic rep has seriously diminished---in the last decade

academic rep has seriously diminished---in the last decade
nancys vision is su is a state school====not condeming her but that is the direction she has gone.maybe we should be a quasi state school(pitt). anyway she has let academics slide why would you pay 50,ooo a year to go to the number 63 academic school.we are lowest when compared with our peers such as bc,northwestern,wake forest, vandy,rice, etc. what is it that we do we do wrong???need to pump up law school, gave up our medical years ago,why have we deteriorated

1999 to 2004...

It was like watching one of those national geographic specials about African wildlife. More specifically, watching a Lion hunt down a baby gazelle. You know what's coming, you know it doesn't end well, but somehow the gazelle just won't go down.

"It's all over, poor little gazelle is down..."

""Wait, he's up!"

"Oooops, nope, now it's over..."

"Wait, look! He's up again!"

Eventually the lion mercifully crushes the gazelles throat and everyone moves on. You just wish it ended sooner as your kid is now on the floor in tears after having their emotions jerked around, and you're left picking up the pieces.

I don't think I'll stop laughing until Tuesday!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I've enjoyed this thread immensely. Always nice to relive the good ol days and decide which was worse!

I know I am late with this post, but 1973 was the worst year for SU football; my freshman year. No facilities to speak of, not even a weight room. Worst game that year was a 5-3 win over Holy Cross. We did play a respectable game against Michigan State that was televised on ABC. Lost 14-7. I think that was the last time we were on national television for years.

My everlasting memories of the GRob error...

joe-lefeged-rutgers-syracuse-andrew-robinson-2e66ba87319f7da3_large.jpg

and

large_ATTENDANCE.jpg

Funny that Ben's glory years are sandwiched between two of the worst eras in SU football history. He was the hero for ending one of them and the goat for ushering in the other.

He didn't "usher in" the bad stretch in the 70's. He had a limited budget and no or impossibly antiquated facilties and was facing the two platoon era before there were scholarship limitations. The program eroded under him. He didn't destroy it.

Robinson was the worst coach we have had and his record is terrible but there was no talk of ending the football program or downgrading it to a lower elver as there was in the 70's. I'd pick the 70's as the bleakest period, the G-Rob era as the msot frustrating.

A "like" to anyone who can name these three players...
Jonathan Meldrum (73), Jim McKenzie (60) and Ryan Bartholomew (70)

Jonathan Meldrum (73), Jim McKenzie (60) and Ryan Bartholomew (70)

Close. Tucker B, McKenzie and Bart.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I had Bart...but couldn't remember the other two. Likes for both of you.

He didn't "usher in" the bad stretch in the 70's. He had a limited budget and no or impossible antiquated facilties and was facing the one platton era before there were scholarship limitations. The program eroded under him. He didn't destroy it.

Robinson was the worst coach we have had and his record is terrible but there was no talk of ending the football program or downgrading it to a lower elver as there was in the 70's. I'd pick the 70's as the bleakest period, the G-Rob era as the msot frustrating.
orange al were you around then? ben had nothing to do with the program demise. the "program" better yet the lack of as swc points out , had to do with bens demise.as it was, ben until his last two years did something with nothing

orange al were you around then? ben had nothing to do with the program demise. the "program" better yet the lack of as swc points out , had to do with bens demise.as it was, ben until his last two years did something with nothing
I sincerely repent of saying something negative about Ben.
Yeah, the atmosphere at SU then was not conducive to football success. People were reading books by Dave Meggysey and Jim Brown and concluding that football was "dehumaninzing" and we were playing in the remnant that was "crumbling old Archbold."
I was at SU when Ben went vocal about the "Hanoi boys" that were trying to tear SU football down. In 1972 or 73 there was a "meet the coach" session that was held in the lounge of Sadler Hall. I remember seeing Ben and thinking, "That's an old man." Of course, he was only a few years older than I am now! By today's standards he was an old-looking man for his age. I always thought it was sad the way his era ended.