Worst Power 5 team ever? | Syracusefan.com

Worst Power 5 team ever?

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
I get a lot of local coverage of Missouri basketball and wow, has anyone noticed how bad they are? They seriously might be one of the worst Power 5 teams ever. They are 5-16 and have lost 13 in a row and somehow lost to Eastern Illinois and NC Central. They are 0-9 in the SEC, which as we all know isn't exactly a murder's row in basketball and lost by 39 to Florida last night. I really thought Kim Anderson would be a decent hire for them. He's had some issues with the Haith era to overcome but I don't see there is any way he is back next year.

Oregon State with our friend Stevie Thompson on staff and his highly recruited son, are 4-19 (0-10) in the Pac. Lost last night to AZ, 71-54 at home. They are baad!

DePaul has never been in a power 5 conference but I get your point.

It's tricky because we're applying a football reference to basketball. The 'Power 5' conferences lineup between football and basketball now, but when the Big East was relevant, I think we just said high-major, mid-major, low-major, yes?

**Nobody say the Big East is still relevant because of Nova and like one other team. Don't embarrass yourselves**

The worst P5 teams this year according to KenPom:

1. Oregon St 272
2. Washington St 200
3. Missouri 197 (they must have had some close losses)

I think Rutgers had a few years around 300, and I remember Utah having one terrible outlier year in recent times around that as well.

**Nobody say the Big East is still relevant because of Nova and like one other team. Don't embarrass yourselves**

I guess I am going to embarrass myself then. The Big East is certainly not the ACC, but neither are the SEC, the P12 and the B10 some years.

The Big East is still 100% relevant in basketball. When half your teams get in the NCAA tournament year after year, I don't know how you can argue the conference is not relevant. It's a P5+1.

The Big East is a conference that may not have the foundations of the P5, so they could have bad outlier years, but so far they have avoided it.

Last edited:

1. Oregon St 272
2. Washington St 200

I think Rutgers had a few years around 300, and I remember Utah having one terrible outlier year in recent times around that as well.

Geez. Maybe the PAC 10 should lose P5 status for basketball.

The B
It's tricky because we're applying a football reference to basketball. The 'Power 5' conferences lineup between football and basketball now, but when the Big East was relevant, I think we just said high-major, mid-major, low-major, yes?

The Big East conference is currently ranked #3 behind the ACC and Big 12.

NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings (updated today)

I guess I am going to embarrass myself then. The Big East is certainly not the ACC, but neither are the SEC, the P12 and the B10 some years.

The Big East is still 100% relevant in basketball. When half your teams get in the NCAA tournament year after year, I don't know how you can argue the conference is not relevant. It's a P5+1.

The Big East is a conference that may not have the foundations of the P5, so they could have bad outlier years, but so far they have avoided it.

You can't round up a bunch of good midmajors into one conference and call it a power conference.

Oregon State with our friend Stevie Thompson on staff and his highly recruited son, are 4-19 (0-10) in the Pac. Lost last night to AZ, 71-54 at home. They are baad!
They've been missing their best player since November. Still, they'd probably be 0-10 or 1-9 at best.

I live in St. Louis and they're an absolute joke. When I got home last night I turned the tv on and saw they were down 40-10. Absolute trash. Everybody here in Missouri thought they were going to run the SEC in basketball with Kentucky. With all of the scandals and the ole Norfolk State game they have never been the same.

1. Oregon St 272
2. Washington St 200

utah 2012, first year in the P12. #303 in KP. Woof. They actually won 3 conference games though, Arizona state at home (they were 230 in KP, so not crazy they'd win here), but Washington state at home (#99) and Stanford at home (#40!)

Last year's Rutgers team was probably as bad as you'll ever see. They did pick up a late season W against a nearly inept Minnesota squad, but went 1-18 in their B1o games. They lost the 18 by an average of 22.3 pts, losing only 2 by singled digits. They finished 279 in Kenpom's rankings, though didn't embarrass themselves outside of conference play. Here are the previous Kenpom rankings for the worst power conference team in the Kenpom era:

Year Team (rating)
2015 Rutgers (198)
2014 TCU (212)
2013 TCU (266)
2012 Utah (303)
2011 Wake Forest (259)
2010 LSU (191)
2009 DePaul (206)
2008 Oregon State (246)
2007 Colorado (217)
2006 USF (172)
2005 Baylor (236)
2004 Penn State (226)
2003 Penn State (209)
2002 Washington State (216)

I pulled that list from an article about last year's Rutgers' dumpster fire. I updated the Kenpom rankings, since they were all wrong on their list.

Last year's BC team was obviously atrocious, going winless in ACC play, but Rutgers was so much worse.

The 2012 Utah team actually went 3-15 in the Pac, but only won 3 OOC games, with losses to Boise (by 21), Montana St, Harvard, Umass, UNC Asheville (by 22), Fresno (by 30), CSU Fullerton (by 31) and Weber St (by 29). They lost 6 conferences games by 10 or less.

The 2011 Wake team went 1-15 in ACC play with only 1 loss by less than 14 pts. They lost to Stetson, Winthrop, UNC Wilmington and Presbyterian.

The 2013 TCU team won 2 B12 games, but actually somehow beat a top 5 Kansas and 20 win Oklahoma team, and went 9-4 OOC with no embarrassing losses. They're a cut above those previous 3 teams mentioned.
The 2014 TCU team went winless in B12 play, but beat two P5 teams in OOC play (Wazzu, Miss St). The majority of B12 losses were by double digits.

The 2009, 2010 and 2011 Depaul teams each won 1 in BE play. They were so, so, so bad.

2008 Oregon State went winless in Pac play, all but 1 by double digits. They also lost to D2 Alaska Fairbanks, Tennessee Tech and Montana State.

The post-scandal Baylor teams were brutal too, but would usually win a few conference games.

So it's a toss up between 2016 Rutgers, 2012 Utah, 2011 Wake or 2008 Oregon State, as well as DePaul's extended misery. I'll go with Rutgers or Utah. This year's Missouri team could be right there and Oregon State might be the worst of them all without Tinkle.

Missouri mistake was hiring Frank Haith who was about to be fired at Miami.. Not only was it a bad hire but they saved Miami a couple million in buyout money. Haith is an awful HC.

They can hire Anderson back it is amazing how many Pig fans want him fired like Arkansas will ever be relevant in any sport ever again

You can't round up a bunch of good midmajors into one conference and call it a power conference.

They are one of the best conferences in America. (consistently top 5) That can't really be denied. Whether that makes them a power conference or not I guess is up to your own personal definition.

1. Oregon St 272
2. Washington St 200

Wow Oregon State and Missouri and really bad. Looking at their schedule, it's like they keep saying "here hold my beer" to each other in the race for the worst.

I just don't get Missouri. They should be able to recruit from St Louis, Chicago, Kansas City very easily. Looking at this thread, there have been some other really bad Power 5 teams. I guess Mizzou has just had more of an effect on me from watching and hearing about it so much locally

Wow Oregon State and Missouri and really bad. Looking at their schedule, it's like they keep saying "here hold my beer" to each other in the race for the worst.

I just don't get Missouri. They should be able to recruit from St Louis, Chicago, Kansas City very easily. Looking at this thread, there have been some other really bad Power 5 teams. I guess Mizzou has just had more of an effect on me from watching and hearing about it so much locally
FWIW, Missouri is currently dead last in the country (#351) in Kenpom's "luck rating" . The luck rating is controversial and they definitely stink, but in close games it looks like they haven't had any good fortune.

FWIW, Missouri is currently dead last in the country (#351) in Kenpom's "luck rating" . The luck rating is controversial and they definitely stink, but in close games it looks like they haven't had any good fortune.

That's not surprising. In fairness to them, they haven't gotten blown out and have lost several close ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom