Would an ACC leftover conference actually be good? | Syracusefan.com

Would an ACC leftover conference actually be good?

FRANKIEFAN

Hall of Fame
So first off lets assume it has Cal, Stanford, SMU, Oregon State, and Washington State.

We won't play them in hoops. So West Coast schools play in the WCC and we would go back to the Big East for basketball. (And the ones that aren't good enough for the Big East play in the A10 or CUSA.)

Not sure what the money would be but we get Big East hoops contract + ACC Football only contract.

League looks something like:

Syracuse
Duke
BC
NC State
Wake
VT
SMU
Cal
Stanford
Washington State
Oregon St

Tulane/Boise/USF/San DIego State can be added for numbers.

This isn't an ideal scenario but its 100x better than being in the Big 12 right? Again I am not saying I want this just tell me why that conference w BE hoops (because Cal/Stanford/Oregon St/Wazzou aren't putting their hoops or non revenue programs in the same league with ours) isn't better than the Big 12. Those are way better programs and markets than having to fly to Lubbock or Ames for every sport.

I think in some ways the Big East has rebranded into a great basketball conference again. For the Big East to get Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and add a team like Duke could lead to a big tv contract for the Big East down the line.

So first off lets assume it has Cal, Stanford, SMU, Oregon State, and Washington State.

We won't play them in hoops.

Why are you starting with this? Oregon State and Washington State aren’t joining the ACC, and the other schools ARE playing ACC hoops.

We’re not going back to the Big East. Ever. It’s not happening. If somehow I’m wrong and it did happen, it would be a disaster for Syracuse - joining the Big 12 would be ten thousand times better than ending up with basketball back in the Big East.

So I reject everything about your post - your assumptions, conclusion, and everything between. Just no.

Why are you starting with this? Oregon State and Washington State aren’t joining the ACC, and the other schools ARE playing ACC hoops.

We’re not going back to the Big East. Ever. It’s not happening. If somehow I’m wrong and it did happen, it would be a disaster for Syracuse - joining the Big 12 would be ten thousand times better than ending up with basketball back in the Big East.

So I reject everything about your post - your assumptions, conclusion, and everything between. Just no.
Big 12 is ass the p12 schools are no better than Cal/Stanford/wsu/osu and they have no blue chips just garbage towns like waco and Stillwater. These big 12 armpit places have no value. Every ACC market is solid apart from maybe Winston Salem.

Some 20 team big 12 with ACC teams playing all sports would be a disaster outside of football. And in football alone the above mentioned conference is superior. They don’t have one good program. Kansas st or okie st?

That league sucks bottom half of the ACC and then another 8 teams is superior.

Big 12 is ass the p12 schools are no better than Cal/Stanford/wsu/osu and they have no blue chips just garbage towns like waco and Stillwater. These big 12 armpit places have no value. Every ACC market is solid apart from maybe Winston Salem.

Some 20 team big 12 with ACC teams playing all sports would be a disaster outside of football. And in football alone the above mentioned conference is superior. They don’t have one good program. Kansas st or okie st?

That league sucks bottom half of the ACC and then another 8 teams is superior.

Split conferences don’t work - they are always stop gap solutions where everyone involved will look for a more stable situation. Notre Dame is a weird outlier which proves the rule (and I think they are out of options if the ACC implodes). Regardless of your opinion of the Big 12 today, if they are competing with an unstable split conference situation - they will rocket past that dumpster fire so fast that within five years it would be in nearly impossible to catch back up.

If we end up in a split conference situation, goal #1 needs to be get out of that as fast as possible and into a conference for all sports. If that meant abandoning the ACC/Big East for the Big 12 - it’s a no brainer. Do it immediately.

Ideally, avoid ending up in a split conference in the first place by whatever means necessary.

We will end up back in big east hoops is my prediction along w Duke. And ND too.

Madison Ave will love this new conf and television will too

Last edited:
UConn wants out of the Big East. They would already be in the Big12 if the PAC hadn't totally evaporated. The Big 12 is looking to get them soon and would probably want a traveling partner for them, in which case UMASS makes a whole lot of sense because of their proximity.

UConn wants out of the Big East. They would already be in the Big12 if the PAC hadn't totally evaporated. The Big 12 is looking to get them soon and would probably want a traveling partner for them, in which case UMASS makes a whole lot of sense because of their proximity.
UConn HAS to be out of the Big East for financial reasons. Even a state supported school can't sustain an athletic program that is losing over $50MM a year.

I nostalgically look at the days of the original Big East too, even up to the point where it was a football conference. That Big East no longer exists and there is no going back, especially for a private school that can't balance its budget on the backs of the taxpayers.

UConn HAS to be out of the Big East for financial reasons. Even a state supported school can't sustain an athletic program that is losing over $50MM a year.

I nostalgically look at the days of the original Big East too, even up to the point where it was a football conference. That Big East no longer exists and there is no going back, especially for a private school that can't balance its budget on the backs of the taxpayers.
Yes, those are the facts. U also think it would be bad for Syracuse, BC and the ACC if UConn went to the Big12.

No one knows how this plays out.

Where do you have UNC going? If it is the B1G do you really think the SEC doesn't grab NC and VA teams too?

There is zero reason to add Oregon State and Washington State.

The old Big East is dead. I want nothing to do with the current Big East. Wouldn't it be better to add UConn, Georgetown, Nova, St Johns to the ACC?

Yes, those are the facts. U also think it would be bad for Syracuse, BC and the ACC if UConn went to the Big12.

Who cares if UConn goes to B12? I’m confused. Why does anyone, anywhere care what UConn does, or doesn’t impact anybody. I’m assuming your phone/autocorrected something somewhere b/c what you wrote doesn’t make sense.

UConn makes no sense for the Big 12. UMass makes even less sense. Thanks for the laugh

Im just waiting for the top half of the BigTen and top half of SEC to realize they can get together and make even more money without paying the dregs of their conference

Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma

Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Wisconsin

Probably convince ND to join them with Clemson and that's a super 14 team conference that would be able to draw massive money

I’m not even worried; it would seem that the timing of conference realignment for SU will synchronize with the Fran resurgence. No way are we being left out.
Hopefully

Who cares if UConn goes to B12? I’m confused. Why does anyone, anywhere care what UConn does, or doesn’t impact anybody. I’m assuming your phone/autocorrected something somewhere b/c what you wrote doesn’t make sense.
You don't think it would be a detriment if a whole another conference were to come into the northeast to play and recruit? In this case the Big12.

Last edited:
Im just waiting for the top half of the BigTen and top half of SEC to realize they can get together and make even more money without paying the dregs of their conference

Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma

Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Wisconsin

Probably convince ND to join them with Clemson and that's a super 14 team conference that would be able to draw massive money
This is what I argued in the FSU thread. If GoRs are canned, then the SEC and B1G are wide open to having this happen to them. Saban is already on record as being tired of "subsidizing Vanderbilt." ND would join if the champion of that conference gets near-universal acclaim as "national champion".

(I added Florida, Penn State, Michigan State, UCLA to make 4 pods of 4, but your 12 works, too.)

Last edited:
This is what I argued in the FSU thread. If GoRs are canned, then the SEC and B1G are wide open to having this happen to them. Saban is already on record as being tired of "subsidizing Vanderbilt." ND would join if the champion of that conference gets near-universal acclaim as "national champion".

(I added Florida, Penn State, Michigan State, UCLA to make 4 pods of 4, but your 12 works, too.)

The NFL has 32 teams; whatever spinoff ultimately happens will have at least that many schools. Might have some from the Big Ten and SEC left behind - but that means a bunch of non-SEC and Big Ten schools will be included.

Syracuse needs to have being in that group, if it happens - as a goal. Rejoining the Big East would be an immediate financial catastrophe for the athletic department and would effectively eliminate that as a possibility.

There’s lots of uncertainty, but one thing I’m sure of is that people who think Syracuse basketball back in the Big East would be in any way good are absolutely disconnected from the current reality.

We will end up back in big east hoops is my prediction along w Duke. And ND too.

Madison Ave will love this new conf and television will too

Rough rule of thumb is in a TV contract, 80% of the value is football and 20% is men’s basketball. So no matter how much people “love” a basketball-centric league - it will never make financial sense.

My prediction is your prediction is as wrong as a prediction could possibly be - I’d bet on the sun rising in the west before I’d bet on your prediction.

The NFL has 32 teams; whatever spinoff ultimately happens will have at least that many schools. Might have some from the Big Ten and SEC left behind - but that means a bunch of non-SEC and Big Ten schools will be included.

Syracuse needs to have being in that group, if it happens - as a goal. Rejoining the Big East would be an immediate financial catastrophe for the athletic department and would effectively eliminate that as a possibility.

There’s lots of uncertainty, but one thing I’m sure of is that people who think Syracuse basketball back in the Big East would be in any way good are absolutely disconnected from the current reality.
I've also argued that the eventual goal of the megapowers is not to require class attendance for the players. I'd avoid that league like the plague. (The schools would license the use of logos, etc., to private ownership or would own the teams themselves like the Universities of Mexico City (Pumas) and Nuevo Laredo (Tigres) do in Mexican soccer.)

I've also argued that the eventual goal of the megapowers is not to require class attendance for the players. I'd avoid that league like the plague. (The schools would license the use of logos, etc., to private ownership or would own the teams themselves like the Universities of Mexico City (Pumas) and Nuevo Laredo (Tigres) do in Mexican soccer.)

College football players being paid athletes and not students was in the dystopian book “Player Piano”. It’s frightening how much the real world is morphing into a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

I’m not even worried; it would seem that the timing of conference realignment for SU will synchronize with the Fran resurgence. No way are we being left out.

I remember being a new fan of Syracuse football and being acquainted with something we call “hope”. Whatever last flickers of hope I had got extinguished at Maryland in 2019…so I’m pretending to still have hope but am mostly worried.

UConn makes no sense for the Big 12. UMass makes even less sense. Thanks for the laugh

It may not make sense - but Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has openly talked about potentially adding UConn.

I have no idea where the UMass speculation came from though, I can’t see any way that could possibly work.