Would Davis outplay Fabricio? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would Davis outplay Fabricio?

I think it would be an upset of epic proportion if Melo outplayed the pretty much unanimous POY - Davis. If we play Kentucky we won't beat them because Melo outplayed Davis or held him in check. He'll get his and we'll have to beat them in other areas.

Yep. Totally agree. Davis will get his but Terrence Jones being able to hit the boards and score inside is a major concern also. Fair and Joseph would have to play BIG on D.

Charges all day! :D

i

Davis is a good player but Fab is first round NBA.

Really? You know that like, every single draft service out there has Anthony Davis as the #1 pick.

And this whole thing of Fab and foul trouble being our weakness. What if Davis gets in trouble for UK. What then??
Hes a skinny guy Fab could push his butt around all night down there. Davis is a good player but Fab is first round NBA. Why shouldn't Davis be considered more foul prone?

Because Fab commits about twice as many fouls per 40 minutes than Davis?

Define "outplay." We don't count on Fab to be a primary scorer--he anchors the pivot defensively, sets screens, takes up space on the boards, etc. -- all things that don't show up in the box score. And those are the main things that make him the team's MIP.

Just like Saturday, he can get outscored. He can get outrebounded. But his contributions are still integral to our success.

So if Davis outscores him and we get the win--who the F cares?

Definitely true, but Davis does all that stuff Fab does also; it's not like it's an issue of a guy who does nothing but score against a guy who contributes in multiple ways.

Agreed Fab is the most important guy on the team. And Davis is the most important guy on UK, and the best player in the country. If we played UK, I think they would have a definite advantage at the 5 spot. It's not a knock on Fab, and it's not the end of the world, and even all that being said, Fab could have a better game than Davis; anything can happen in one 40 minute stretch.

Davis has to get bigger. He will be knocked around at the next level. Fab is a true NBA 5 he will be a great player in 3 or so years.

Some real orange colored lenses in this thread...:crazy:

I'm just hoping that Kentucky gets bounced before they even make the Final Four and render this question moot.

I don't see why it's so funny. It would be one hell of a defensive battle down low, one that I have been hoping to see all year. Davis would be sealed out of the equation in my opinion. They would just collapse on him anytime Davis got the ball. Fab would get plenty of help down low, and 2 or 3 blocks on him. It would be up to UK's guards to hit their 3's.

That has to be the strategy against them -- pack it in and make them shoot it, then crash the glass. What makes me worry is their transition game off missed shots. They rebound it well and out it goes to MKG who is as fast as Dion and 3" taller.

Again, I think a bigger problem could be dealing with Jones working off Davis.

And glasses that people would never pick orange frames for.

Some of you people would have made a case for Melo not to be the player of the tournament in 03.
Oh Dwayne Wade was ssooooooooooooo great in that 40 point loss.

Knicks411 Fab could have a better game than Davis; anything can happen in one 40 minute stretch. Agree 100%
And Yes Davis is a tweener that can be pushed around bigtime. And Fab is taller then him isn't he?

Do you think Kentucky is saying that any of are players are better then any of theirs at any position? I bet you they aren't because some fanbases would never admit that. Why shouldn't we do the same?
Some of you sound like you expect us to lose.
If the players expected to lose in a championship game then probably would.

Even the very title of this thread is pessimistic half empty. Would Davis outplay Fab?? Why not will Fab outplay Davis?
Newsflash VCU made the final four last year with a 9 seeded Butler.

And glasses that people would never pick orange frames for.

Some of you people would have made a case for Melo not to be the player of the tournament in 03.
Oh Dwayne Wade was ssooooooooooooo great in that 40 point loss.

Knicks411 Fab could have a better game than Davis; anything can happen in one 40 minute stretch. Agree 100%
And Yes Davis is a tweener that can be pushed around bigtime. And Fab is taller then him isn't he?

Do you think Kentucky is saying that any of are players are better then any of theirs at any position? I bet you they aren't because some fanbases would never admit that. Why shouldn't we do the same?
Some of you sound like you expect us to lose.
If the players expected to lose in a championship game then probably would.

Even the very title of this thread is pessimistic half empty. Would Davis outplay Fab?? Why not will Fab outplay Davis?
Newsflash VCU made the final four last year with a 9 seeded Butler.

I do like the optimism but I just find it improbable with regards to Melo-Davis, that's all. By the way, Wade DID have a triple-double against the #1 seed Kentucky. He had little help on that team.

Now, I DO think SU can beat UK. Won't be easy but, just like others have mentioned, I doubt it will be by Fab outplaying Davis. Davis' frame is irrelevant. Fab dosn't really bang and is a finesse center. Davis' wingspan is enough of a deterrent on both ends. I think the keys are how Teague handles the zone and Terrence Jones. If Teague is hesitant/timid with dribble penetration and stays on the perimeter then we have a shot. If he gets into the paint consistently then we are toast. Lamb and Miller are good shooters and/or they will play volleyball on the offensive boards. Gotta contain and limit offensive putbacks by Jones too. He can easily overpower Joseph/Fair.

Now, I DO think SU can beat UK. Won't be easy but, just like others have mentioned,

It won't be easy for UK to beat SU.
It wouldn't be easy for Syracuse to beat Miss St. in 96 either.

Its not like UK will be comfortable against us while we are uncomfortable. We have to much depth balence height experience(seniority) and positivies for that. They are young youthfull short benched playing in a non physical SEC amoung other things.

Oh and Joseph has been posting up well the last few games. If him and fair start doing it more often together then look out.

And the biggest faithless bunch ever. When Fab plays his best ball he can beat anyone but some of you sound like he can't.

Davis doesn't have the weight to handle Fab he will have to put more body on him and Fab will draw charges if he tries to.

Im more worried about Davis weakside defense then him playing against Fab. Fab is much stronger.

And the biggest faithless bunch ever. When Fab plays his best ball he can beat anyone but some of you sound like he can't.

Davis doesn't have the weight to handle Fab he will have to put more body on him and Fab will draw charges if he tries to.

Im more worried about Davis weakside defense then him playing against Fab. Fab is much stronger.

Who exactly has Fab dominated and pushed around??

if Kentucky has a weakness, it is their guard play. If the Wildcats and the Orange face off in the title game, then the hope is that our guards are very active at the top of the zone and fluster the Kentucky guards. Make it difficult for them to find Davis down low and induce them to take a lot of threes. If SU wins, it won't be a case of Fab outplaying Davis head to head, but of JB's system taking Davis largely out of play.

kentuckys weakness is their youth, offensive consistancy, and lack of weight in the paint.

UK hasn't played against alot of weight in the paint. Get them a team with two strong bigs downlow that go up fast and they are in trouble.

Miss State had them on the ropes and played a real crappy offensive second half.
A good isolation and post up offense can beat them.

Davis is more polished than Melo, better skills. If he wants to, he can minimize Melo's larger mass by stepping outside and taking a 12-15 footer, something he can consistently do. Don't place too much emphasis on strength. Cincy's Gates didn't dominate us when we played them w/out Melo where he had a huge advantage in strength. Not to mention, the NCAA tourney really doesn't allow for physical play, hence why Big East teams like Pitt, etc. always seem to struggle.

Again, Davis' frame/weight is irrelevant, IMO. Fab isn't some physical force. If he was an Onuaku-type who could back a guy down, go into his chest with post moves then I'd like the matchup better.

I think the larger point is that we don't need Fab to "outplay" Davis in order to win. Kentucky can't really say the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom