Would like to see UB on the schedule more | Syracusefan.com

Would like to see UB on the schedule more

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
They will be a competitive out of conference opponent for years to come. Their recruiting is on the upswing. They have a decent sized arena in the chance we’d have to play there. They have a good young coach. They are becoming a consistent tournament threat team. They will be a team who pushes us to develop/grow each year. I believe they bring us more as an opponent than colgate/cornell/iona/sienna etc.

Last night looked like a Big East game and I liked it. It will NOT be a rivalry but it’s great to have an in state game with some bad blood to it, even if most is on the little brother’s side.

Also, anyone notice how much blue was around the dome last night? Admittedly i wore orange behind the syracuse bench but was pleasantly surprised that a lot of ub students and alum were around. It was a fun game.

Interestingly, in his presser, JB indicated that we have offered to play UB a number of times in recent years and they hadn't wanted to play the game. No real specifics about when or how many times, but interesting none the less. As you mention, UB has probably more potential than any program in NY, not named SU, to become a top Division I program. It would be great to see them become really relevant annually.

Boeheim wants to play them too. Said it in the presser.

I liked the game too. Good, tough battle with some serious competition. A close NCAA Tourney or ACCT game will feel this way. I thought the calls were fair both ways pretty much. Frank could’ve been called for a couple of push offs like the Buffalo coach said postgame but he probably got fouled a few other times as well so it cancels out.

I liked the game too. Good, tough battle with some serious competition. A close NCAA Tourney or ACCT game will feel this way. I thought the calls were fair both ways pretty much. Frank could’ve been called for a couple of push offs like the Buffalo coach said postgame but he probably got fouled a few other times as well so it cancels out.

I would agree with this. Also I thought Marek and Chuckwu got bullied a bit on the boards. Felt like I saw a couple of times where Marek was flat out pushed out of the way, as you said it all evens out.

I thought they were good competition too. I got into it in the game thread a little bit with another poster who was just insisting it's "Freaking Buffalo" and there was a huge difference in talent. Yeah it's a a game we should win, but that doesn't mean they aren't a pretty solid team.

Last edited:
I would agree with this. Also I thought Marek and Chuckwu got bullied a bit on the boards. Felt like I saw a couple of times where Marek was flat out pushed out of the way, as you said it all evens out.

Yeah, they had the type of players who made it difficult for Marek/Chukwu. I liked their aggressiveness all around. Good guards. I would play SU the same way. We saw the same thing from Miami, Wisconsin, South Carolina, some aspects of Louisville’s system, etc., last year.

Watching battle and the Buffalo guards was like Ishmael vs FSU and Miami corners. Battle being the superior Pro talent creating space through formidable physicality but the Buffalo guards harassing, bumping and bruising him the entire way.

This game is exactly what Battle and Frank need as a wake up call, dribbling and physicality wise, before we play teams like UVA and UL.

Don't want to see them again. Surprised that Boeheim expressed interest. Too bad. No need to buy thug-ball when we can get it for free from a few teams that are already on the schedule.

I will compliment the UB fan turnout, though. Loudest visiting fanbase of the year. Will be interesting to see if Bonaventure can top that.

I would give Buffalo a 2 for 1 or play on them at HSBC? Arena any season NCAA tournament games are at Buffalo to get acclimated to that arena.

Don't want to see them again. Surprised that Boeheim expressed interest. Too bad. No need to buy thug-ball when we can get it for free from a few teams that are already on the schedule.

I will compliment the UB fan turnout, though. Loudest visiting fanbase of the year. Will be interesting to see if Bonaventure can top that.

You have a point.

After reading the articles about the SU players in the locker room with varying degrees of injury and ice bags all over, you have to wonder if this is worth it. There are too many other alternatives.

With a 7-man rotation, if we get an serious injury or two, the season's goose would be cooked.

I dont understand this thug ball accusation. That’s how teams are going to approach countering battle and frank. Its strategy. Its why Louisville and Nova used to give Mcw and other big guards fits. I didn’t see the UB guards take any dirty or intentional shots. They were in our guards faces and we’re better now for it.

You have a point.

After reading the articles about the SU players in the locker room with varying degrees of injury and ice bags all over, you have to wonder if this is worth it. There are too many other alternatives.

With a 7-man rotation, if we get an serious injury or two, the season's goose would be cooked.
Im not sure thats a result of thuggery, rather than us lacking size. You’re gonna get bruises and scrapes playing scrappy, as our team does, regardless.

I dont understand this thug ball accusation. That’s how teams are going to approach countering battle and frank. Its strategy. Its why Louisville and Nova used to give Mcw and other big guards fits. I didn’t see the UB guards take any dirty or intentional shots. They were in our guards faces and we’re better now for it.

I'm not sure we're better now - after UConn and Georgetown everyone knew that Frank could struggle with pressure. So this was nothing new. Actually, considering Battle and Moyer both came out of the game less healthy than they began the day, I'd say we're worse.

Thug-ball...just another term for clutch-and-grab, "Pittsburgh," "Buzz Williams," in that vein. It's been Syracuse's Achilles for decades and it's not going to get better. Syracuse is a finesse team (which I like); other teams are more physical (which I don't, and the rulemakers never seemed to like it either). As for UB, their defense relies on constant uncalled handchecking. Georgetown tried something similar until a bunch of quick whistles set them straight. Their success with that style, coupled with their habit of diving for our players' legs, makes for a worse game for Syracuse.

I'm ambivalent on whether we play them more. That said, I'm not sure the UB coach helped their chances of playing us more by talking smack after the game, saying their players were calling us soft. This game is more important for them than for us.

I'm not sure we're better now - after UConn and Georgetown everyone knew that Frank could struggle with pressure. So this was nothing new. Actually, considering Battle and Moyer both came out of the game less healthy than they began the day, I'd say we're worse.

Thug-ball...just another term for clutch-and-grab, "Pittsburgh," "Buzz Williams," in that vein. It's been Syracuse's Achilles for decades and it's not going to get better. Syracuse is a finesse team (which I like); other teams are more physical (which I don't, and the rulemakers never seemed to like it either). As for UB, their defense relies on constant uncalled handchecking. Georgetown tried something similar until a bunch of quick whistles set them straight. Their success with that style, coupled with their habit of diving for our players' legs, makes for a worse game for Syracuse.
UB was called for nearly double the amount of fouls as us total, so it was a bold but ultimately damning approach. If it’s a weakness of our team, i think playing A mac team in the pre conference slate would help experiment and adjust.

Injuries happen. There were no dirty shots taken that I saw. Moyers hand/wrist was a result of his own tough play and activeness. At least that’s what I remember seeing. Tyus came into the game less than 100% and it was noticeable. The hand checking and banging/bruising is going to happen, its tyus’ own style of play. He tries to over power smaller guards and absorbs contact throughout the play to the hoop.

Watch frank’s/tyus’ postgame interview.

They view this game as a wake up call, not a set backZ

UB was called for nearly double the amount of fouls as us total, so it was a bold but ultimately damning approach. If it’s a weakness of our team, i think playing A mac team in the pre conference slate would help experiment and adjust.

Injuries happen. There were no dirty shots taken that I saw. Moyers hand/wrist was a result of his own tough play and activeness. At least that’s what I remember seeing. Tyus came into the game less than 100% and it was noticeable. The hand checking and banging/bruising is going to happen, its tyus’ own style of play. He tries to over power smaller guards and absorbs contact throughout the play to the hoop.

Agree about Moyer. Battle's was one of the more ridiculous plays (without a foul call, if I'm not mistaken). #10 laid out and took out his legs. I'm not asserting it's a dirty style of play, per se, but that physicality is contrary to the spirit of the game and I want to see it in a Syracuse game as infrequently as possible. I'm grateful that Jamie Dixon is out of the league and it'd be best for us to avoid that kind of play in the non-conference.

Agreed. They were physical as they should be against us, a finesse team. They had the personnel to do so. Sure they were a little over aggressive at times but you make them pay for it.

It’s absolutely ludicrous seeing posts about how they were dirty or thugs. Please. That is total B.S. and fantasy land. You can tell that they impresssed the hell out of Boeheim in the presser. He was more complimentary of them than most of our opponents.

Last edited:
Agree about Moyer. Battle's was one of the more ridiculous plays (without a foul call, if I'm not mistaken). #10 laid out and took out his legs. I'm not asserting it's a dirty style of play, per se, but that physicality is contrary to the spirit of the game and I want to see it in a Syracuse game as infrequently as possible. I'm grateful that Jamie Dixon is out of the league and it'd be best for us to avoid that kind of play in the non-conference.
I understand what you’re saying. I just think it’s best to get acclomated before we turn into 2013 Indiana drawing scrappy/physical Syracuse and being embarrassed in March.

I understand what you’re saying. I just think it’s best to get acclomated before we turn into 2013 Indiana drawing scrappy/physical Syracuse and being embarrassed in March.

You know, preparation for the postseason crossed my mind - it seems that NCAA games get officiated more closely and physicality isn't rewarded. I thought of a couple outliers -- Marquette and Butler -- but I never considered the game where we were the aggressor.

Yeah, that was a lot of fun, but boy did we get away with some rough defense in that Indiana game. So maybe rough play wins in the NCAA a little more often than I think.

Anyway, I still believe we get plenty of that in the league. Miami, Virginia Tech, Louisville (assuming they still play the Pitino style). My preferences for non-conference are as follows:
1) Win.
2) Stay healthy.
3) Get developmental minutes for everyone.

Injuries happen, but I think playing physical teams further jeopardizes #2. So I'd like to minimize that as much as possible, then hope that Buzz Williams toughens us up so that we don't pull a 2013 Indiana. (Or 2010 Syracuse.)

Buffalo is the type of team that dares the refs to call a foul every trip down, and the refs don't want to do that and let them get away with it. See: Butler, Pitt, Gtown, Louisville, Minnesota, etc etc.

I can't like this post enough. With a competent group of refs, the entire UB team (especially the guards) would have fouled out. Thuggery is a fair word. Easy to rip on FH and HW for turnovers but many of them were a result of being blatantly fouled. Wasnt impressed.

Coach was a whiner too. Annoying as heck. Lots of UB fans, good portion of them were hammered and screaming slurs all game long.

Pass.

Mouthy, dirty team with a chip on their shoulder towards a program that’s way bigger and better than them.

Tell them to kick rocks. Let them go play St. John’s or something, and have an undercut party while running their mouths with stupid tough talk to each other. Scrubs.

Buffalo is the type of team that dares the refs to call a foul every trip down, and the refs don't want to do that and let them get away with it. See: Butler, Pitt, Gtown, Louisville, Minnesota, etc etc.
Yup. If this game was called like the Georgetown game, it's a 15-20 pt win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom