Would SU go after St. John's transfer Chris Obekpa? | Syracusefan.com

Would SU go after St. John's transfer Chris Obekpa?

If he didn't have to sit out a year I would say yes since DC2 could possibly be out next year! It would hurt with our recruitment in 2015 with Bryant, Diagne, and Silva.

We should. He'd be perfect for our system and he's a proven shot-blocker. Only question would be attitude- since supposedly he refused to sub into a game late in the year. Lavin is no Boeheim though, so Obekpa would likely toe the line at SU.

We should. He'd be perfect for our system and he's a proven shot-blocker. Only question would be attitude- since supposedly he refused to sub into a game late in the year. Lavin is no Boeheim though, so Obekpa would likely toe the line at SU.
To be (only slightly) facetious, perfect for our system these days means strong defensively and no post scoring ability.
He would be perfect.

If he didn't have to sit out a year I would say yes since DC2 could possibly be out next year! It would hurt with our recruitment in 2015 with Bryant, Diagne, and Silva.

Considering DC2 might be done, and Obekpa is an elite shot blocker/athlete, think I'd rather add him for depth, still go after a 2015, and relegate DC2 as the 13th man. Sad bc DC2 had so much potential coming in, but we have to deal in realities.

I'd rather recruit a high school kid. Not sure I want St. John's castoffs. There was a reason he didn't play much in the games at the end of the season and he is now transferring, not sure I want to get him here to find out what the reason was.

Always thought he was pound for pound, or should I say inch in height for inch, one of the best shot blockers in a while, maybe since Davis. Great leaper, even better knack for timing, when to leave his feet. Anticipation. Check.

JB takes a transfer once every 10 years. Unlikely.

JB takes a transfer once every 10 years. Unlikely.
But he's taken two in the last five years. I think that if the player fits Boeheim would accept a transfer, and truthfully with Coleman's status uncertain and not knowing what we are really getting with Chino or if we get Bryant or Diagne I don't think it would be a horrible decision to take a guy like Opekpa as a stop gap after Rak leaves.

Unless Obekpa appears to be a problem beyond the not wanting to sub in that time, I don't see how we wouldn't be salivating over him. He's every bit as good as a McD AA in our system. A ridiculous shot blocker in the middle, jeeze idc if he has to sit out 2 years, they don't come along very often.

images

My answer when I saw Obepka was available.

Always thought he was pound for pound, or should I say inch in height for inch, one of the best shot blockers in a while, maybe since Davis. Great leaper, even better knack for timing, when to leave his feet. Anticipation. Check.[/quote
Obekpa is for real defensively for the reasons you cite.
Hard to believe he didn't get more time this season despite his lack of on-court offense and any real or perceived offcourt offenses.

The way things look right now...St. John's is going to field a team full of frershmen and walk-ons.

I heard the Jordan kid is looking to transfer too, what is going on in Queens?

I'd happily take Obekpa. Great shot blocker and would really excel in our zone. That might enable us to press a bit more again. He also was developing a semblance of an offensive game mid-season, hitting some hooks. A year of practicing those moves could really turn him into a stud SU system guy.

With the way we've seen injuries hit this position, why would it be so bad having experienced depth? What if Obokoh doesn't develop? What if we don't get Bryant or Diagne? Even if we do get one of them, what if they aren't ready? This team could use a proven role player like this. I hope JB checks him out.

I heard the Jordan kid is looking to transfer too, what is going on in Queens?
Wasn't there mutual interest with Jordan but with Ennis coming it didn't work out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom