Would Syracuse do this? Should they do this? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would Syracuse do this? Should they do this?

Kansas was playing Oklahoma today, had a lead early, and hung around the entire game. During the game, they announced on their radio network, a school email memo went out, and on Twitter that the gates are open, come on in no ticket needed. Probably a one-time thing who knows, but honestly if you don't draw fans might as well at some point let some people in for free. Maybe they buy concessions and it does create a home-field advantage.

Not like Syracuse is drawing a ton of fans for any single game. And I know the COVID rules probably prevent this from happening this year. But say in a year or so with attendance still down (because it's never good in Syracuse). Would it make sense to say show up after halftime and we will let you in for free? To try and pack the house and get some other people in there. Your die hards and most fans will have a ticket and want to see the entire game, nobody is going to give up a ticket to take advantage of this. So that wouldn't be hurt.

The economy ain't great, I know it's tough for people to find money to go to games, I understand everyone's situation is different, but you may get some stragglers to show up and want to catch a half. Ain't gonna hurt anything (assuming COVID protocols are behind us at that point as that is the only way this works).

I don't know not the worst idea ever. Kudos to Kansas for thinking outside the box.

After they made that announcement, Oklahoma scored 35 straight points and takes the lead. Bad juju. God hates giving away freebie.

How would you feel if you bought all of your beers at the Dome and then after you bought yours they started giving them out for free?
I’d be happy that someone was able to get free beer, I thing that’s nice.

Tickets can’t get much cheaper than they already are. Seven home games for $125 is practically giving them away.
Yeah, and if people WANTED them they would pay. It's about giving the non-fans a taste and turn them into paying customers at some point.

Yeah, and if people WANTED them they would pay. It's about giving the non-fans a taste and turn them into paying customers at some point.
But to answer your OP in all seriousness, I think that was a fantastic and creative idea by Kansas. If literally just one person says “oh man that was awesome I’m going to attend more games now” then it was a net positive.

Somebody tick in your cheerios this morning? You're bringing some serious negativity.

Edit: it wasn't supposed to say tick, but the saying has a "p" word in it.
The OP was thinking OTB to get butts in seats. Winning will do that

Who goes to college to NOT get a good/better job except independently wealthy erudites like yourself.
I'm just reminded of the old saying "he knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing".

I'm sure that you know that not everything can be valued by $$$. Historically, there have been, and continue to be, free educational opportunities. Many of our best citizens and leaders have been educated at low-cost or no-cost colleges.

And, by the way, you know nothing about where I come from, or where I am now.

Kansas was playing Oklahoma today, had a lead early, and hung around the entire game. During the game, they announced on their radio network, a school email memo went out, and on Twitter that the gates are open, come on in no ticket needed. Probably a one-time thing who knows, but honestly if you don't draw fans might as well at some point let some people in for free. Maybe they buy concessions and it does create a home-field advantage.

Not like Syracuse is drawing a ton of fans for any single game. And I know the COVID rules probably prevent this from happening this year. But say in a year or so with attendance still down (because it's never good in Syracuse). Would it make sense to say show up after halftime and we will let you in for free? To try and pack the house and get some other people in there. Your die hards and most fans will have a ticket and want to see the entire game, nobody is going to give up a ticket to take advantage of this. So that wouldn't be hurt.

The economy ain't great, I know it's tough for people to find money to go to games, I understand everyone's situation is different, but you may get some stragglers to show up and want to catch a half. Ain't gonna hurt anything (assuming COVID protocols are behind us at that point as that is the only way this works).

I don't know not the worst idea ever. Kudos to Kansas for thinking outside the box.

If the situation was exactly the same as the Kansas vs OU game, sure do it. If that's the case, however, some things have gone horribly wrong. Our attendance isn't as bad as theirs. We still draw a decent crowd when we play a big name school, and our crowds for normal games are better than what we saw at the beginning of that Kansas game.

Last edited:
Give students free. All employees 5.00 tickets.

If the situation was exactly the same as the Kansas vs OU game, sure do it. If that's the case, however, some things have gone horribly wrong. Our attendance isn't as bad as there's. We still draw a decent crowd when we play a big name school, and our crowds for normal games are better than what we saw at the beginning of that Kansas game.
Yeah, this thread kind of misses the point of why Kansas did it. Kansas has been SO BAD for SO LONG that even being competitive against Oklahoma is worth doing something outside the box.

The game that got me hooked on Cuse football, I was using the boss of a friend’s mom’s season tickets that I didn’t pay a dime for. So there’s value in that, even if it offended someone’s sensibilities.

Brilliant idea, would like to see SU do it as well. The Wake game had a great crowd, and the Clemson game seemed decent too, on tv at least. I expect this BC game to be similar to the Wake game, even on Halloween weekend. We keep winning and we will have no problems at all.

Give students free. All employees 5.00 tickets.
Even better just extend the free offer to employees as well. At the college where I work employees and students are all considered part of the campus community and treated equally with things like that. It’s a real morale booster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom