Would the committee send us to Buffalo if for reason we got bracketed/pod with WVU? | Syracusefan.com

Would the committee send us to Buffalo if for reason we got bracketed/pod with WVU?

Alsacs

Living Legend
WVU is going to be a top 4 seed.
It appears Nova is going to Buffalo.
That leaves WVU as the most likely candidate. Would the committee put Syracuse in a bracket with WVU and potentially have WVU play them in Buffalo?
Personally I think WVU and their press would be an awful matchup for us but I could see us in a situation like this.
Maybe they would send WVU to Dayton to avoid this.

That leaves WVU as the most likely candidate. Would the committee put Syracuse in a bracket with WVU and potentially have WVU play them in Buffalo?
Personally I think WVU and their press would be an awful matchup for us but I could see us in a situation like this.
No way would they give us that gift.

If WVU is a 4 seed or better that will not happen in the first round. If for example, we are a 12 and we upset a 5 and then play WVU as a 4, that could happen in Buffalo. The tourney does not protect seeds from having to play a huge upset winner in the second round. That would be almost too much to try to figure out avoiding with every other rule and seed line they have to work on.

It does seem like Nova and West Virignia appear to be two teams for Buffalo (they appear to be 1 and 4 seeds). Which means that if we are a 10/11 seed we have no chance at Buffalo, unless West Virginia made it to a 3 seeed. I think they would try to avoid this, but I do remember Wisconsin being the 6 playing Pitt as a 3 in Milwaukee one year.

When you get an 11 seed it gets hard to place teams and try to follow the bracket rules so sometimes you just go where it fits. But I think they would try to avoid it.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if they placed us in Buffalo. It's the one location we've ruled out in our travel discussions.

We didn't struggle vs. Louisville's press - I think we'd be OK vs. WVU because the press would force us to speed up which usually works to our advantage (look at all of our 2nd halves). Where we get into trouble is where teams make us play in the half court and actually run offense.

If we get in - we could be in Buffalo for sure, but it would take some luck.

It does seem like Nova and West Virignia appear to be two teams for Buffalo (they appear to be 1 and 4 seeds). Which means that if we are a 10/11 seed we have no chance at Buffalo, unless West Virginia made it to a 3 seeed. I think they would try to avoid this, but I do remember Wisconsin being the 6 playing Pitt as a 3 in Milwaukee one year.

When you get an 11 seed it gets hard to place teams and try to follow the bracket rules so sometimes you just go where it fits. But I think they would try to avoid it.
We could potentially be in the 8/9 game if we beat GaTech, win Wednesday and Thursday of the ACCT.

We could potentially be in the 8/9 game if we beat GaTech, win Wednesday and Thursday of the ACCT.

I was considering the contact of WVU. Could we get Nova? I think they will be very careful with a #1 seed. So I think they would make sure that we would be moved in that case. With a 3 seed they make not take as much care.

not a chance at buffalo

It's not unprecedented for a 10 seed to get a more than neutral court advantage vs a 7 seed. Can't recall specifics, but I know it's happened.

It's frowned upon by media, but ya never know. We probably need 3 wins including a win over UNC in the 8/9 vs 1 game to pull it off though.

The NCAA likes full venues at its sites.

If I recall from well before the season, I think a lot of fans already have hotels, tickets, flights to Buffalo, I think AZ too.