Would we actually owe $50 million? | Syracusefan.com

Would we actually owe $50 million?

44PRIDE

All Conference
I mean...technically...we aren't members of the ACC until Summer 2013.

We are still members of the Big East until the completion of Spring 2013.....technically speaking.

That having been said, would we actually be on the hook for $50m if we were offered the B1G tomorrow?

These are tricky legal situations, but I believe we would still be considered in the BE currently. The "new" TV deal with ESPN has been worked out, with the departure of Maryland, not sure if the other teams can void out of that or just receive their respective share or give it directly to a newly invited member.

Some expertise on this would be helpful...

All I'm saying is that if we can avoid the $50m payout, that would give us a HUGE leg up over any other ACC team...

All I'm saying is that if we can avoid the $50m payout, that would give us a HUGE leg up over any other ACC team...
And stay where were are?

ACC is the perfect fit for us...no doubt. But until realignment stabilizes, the ACC will always be looked at as a "donor" conference by the Big-3.

The B1G can offer stability (and money) that the ACC simply can't.

The B1G can offer stability (and money) that the ACC simply can't.

I agree with what you said but at what cost to the basketball program? The ACC is the ultra perfect fit for the hoops program. Yes I know football is the money driver here I get that. Yes the B1G is a better football conference I get that but realistically what are we doing here? So we are stable financially, we still are not winning a NC in football...ever. I've accepted it. Not because I dont think we are good enough (well that is part of the reason) but with the current format of only 4 teams actually playing for a NC we probably are never going to be in that position. If we get lucky what maybe once every 10 years? Hoops we compete every year and have become a top 10 program.

You hear these basketball recruits we are getting. "why did you choose Syracuse? because they are playing in a great conference next year (ACC)". I just dont want that jeopardized by now moving AGAIN to another conference.

I just would hate to see the success of the hoops program sacrificed because it makes more financial sense to play in the B1G for football. This isnt a football vs basketball rant either. I have just as much loyalty to the football side than I do the hoops side.

The 50 million is an interesting topic on both ends, would SU have to pay and how much along with if they stay how do they break up the 50 or whatever Maryland pays, school wise.

Nobody on this board was in the room when the agreement was reached. It's possible that all 15 schools present at the meeting are on the hook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom