Would you be surprised of Coleman averages ... | Syracusefan.com

Would you be surprised of Coleman averages ...

cusetown1

Taxi Squad
15 and 8 and Christmas averages 12 and 9? Also what are everyone's expectations for them? I definitely think they can produce those numbers. There is also a reason why I'm using those exact stats.

15 and 8 for Coleman - very surprised. Who's the last SU center to put up those numbers? Seikaly? Otis scored about that many as a senior but wasn't the best rebounder.

I think he'll be an asset but will have limited touches - probably won't have the opportunity to score 15 from the field (and, as a freshman, won't get enough calls to consistently get to the line). Eight rebounds is a possibility, though, provided his defense allows him to spend enough time on the floor.

12 and 9 for Christmas - mildly surprised, only because 9 is a lot of rebounds (who's the last to do that? Carmelo?). 12 points per game? Book it.

15 and 8 for Coleman - very surprised. Who's the last SU center to put up those numbers? Seikaly? Otis scored about that many as a senior but wasn't the best rebounder.

I think he'll be an asset but will have limited touches - probably won't have the opportunity to score 15 from the field (and, as a freshman, won't get enough calls to consistently get to the line). Eight rebounds is a possibility, though, provided his defense allows him to spend enough time on the floor.

12 and 9 for Christmas - mildly surprised, only because 9 is a lot of rebounds (who's the last to do that? Carmelo?). 12 points per game? Book it.
Rick Jackson had over 10 rpg as a senior. But I would be very surprised to see Rak get 12 and 9. I don't anticipate he would get the minutes to be able to do it. People seem to be expecting a huge jump for Rak.

15 and 8 for Coleman seem like too much to me. Once again, I don't see DC2 getting over 25 min per game. He will be a frosh and there will be conditioning, fouls, and good substitutes in BMK and Rak at the center.

Rick Jackson had over 10 rpg as a senior. But I would be very surprised to see Rak get 12 and 9. I don't anticipate he would get the minutes to be able to do it. People seem to be expecting a huge jump for Rak.

15 and 8 for Coleman seem like too much to me. Once again, I don't see DC2 getting over 25 min per game. He will be a frosh and there will be conditioning, fouls, and good substitutes in BMK and Rak at the center.

Damn. I'm an idiot.

I would be very surprised. It won't happen this year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I actually wouldnt be surprised by either happening. I too have big expectations for DC2. At the same time, he will have his foul problems and transitioning from HS to college issues but if he figures it out quick...watch out! Were talking about a dude thats playing in his hometown in front of his friends and family, in the best shape of his life, wont be getting double and triple teamed like he was use to, and a guy that has practiced with the team prior and prolly has a better grasp for the system then any other incoming freshman ever has.

Very surprised on both fronts. First of all, those are elite level rebounding averages. Having two guys getting 9 and 8 respectively would reverse what was our biggest team weakness last year: rebounding. Very unlikely that either guy hits that mark [although I do expect rebounding to be improved this year].

Second, I can't imagine Coleman averaging 15 this year. Not that he doesn't have the tools to fill it up, but he's not going to be a focal point of the offense. We're going to have a balanced team with lots of scorers playing a lot of minutes, so I'd expect a more balanced distribution of scoring. I don't see Rak getting 12, either--both for the aforementioned reason and because I don't think he has much of an offensive repertoire.

15 and 8 and Christmas averages 12 and 9? Also what are everyone's expectations for them? I definitely think they can produce those numbers. There is also a reason why I'm using those exact stats.

I think that's too high for both of them. Looking back over our history, our interior guys just don't score that much, and certainly not two of them in the same season.

I think more realistic numbers are Coleman with 12 and 8, and Christmas with about 8 and 6. If we get that much from them both, we are going to be very, very good.

I think that's too high for both of them. Looking back over our history, our interior guys just don't score that much, and certainly not two of them in the same season.

I think more realistic numbers are Coleman with 12 and 8, and Christmas with about 8 and 6. If we get that much from them both, we are going to be very, very good.

I think between 7-9 ppg and 5-7 rpg is what's probably most realistic from those two. And that wouldn't be bad necessarily.

I'd be pretty excited to see Coleman average 8rpg.

I think that's a little high. I'm thinking something more like 9 points and 8 boards for DC2 and 10 points and 5 rebounds for Rak. AO and Jackson went 10 points 9 boards and 5 points seven boards. I think something in that ballpark is more what will happen especially with CJ grabbing boards and scoring and Triche and MCW scoring. I think MCW is going to be really good this year and Triche will take more shots.

I am very high on Coleman but not as high as you are. 15 points would surely make him the leading scorer on the team as a frosh. That is really rare, especially on a team with a lot of veterans. Rebounds are more reasonable.

I think you have Christmas too high too, but it is without the realm of possibly for him to hit those numbers.

My guess without thinking about it much...

Coleman 26 mpg 8 ppg 8 rpg
Christmas 26 mpg 7 ppg 7 rpg

Christmas averaged 2.8 ppg and 2.9 rpg as a frosh, playing 11.5 mpg. I am going to assume a small improvement in scoring and rebounding, but nothing dramatic. He was not a big scorer in HS and I don't think he will ever be a big scorer in college. I just don't see it in his skill set or in the fit he has in our system. I think he is going to be playing mostly PF and his presence on offense there will be mostly awkward and non productive. He will score more when he plays center. JB might well experiment with moving Coleman to the 4 on offense some. Neither is going to be really comfortable there; square pegs in round holes. Hope I am mistaken about that.

I believe Coleman will be a better rebounder and even scorer than RC even as a frosh but I think it will be his soph season before he gets his averages into double figures (will average a double double from that point forward).

This season is going to feature the guards and forwards scoring points, as usual.

If we get 27 and 17 out of those two then we will win it all. I think that those numbers are a bit high especially when CJ, James, Brandon and MCW being guys who will all look to score. I think both will have games where they put up those type of numbers but not as a average.

I think between 7-9 ppg and 5-7 rpg is what's probably most realistic from those two. And that wouldn't be bad necessarily.

Agree with this completely.

this squad - especially the front line - is very deep, and that is going to put a limit on both minutes and touches for both of them. So, it's not so much a skill thing as a math thing.

RAK
there are going to be occasions when he has a clear mismatch and is hot and scores in bunches, but for the most part, Rak is going to the the 5th option when he is on the court (this is a reflection of how offensively skilled his teammates are, not a commentary on his own skills). I would think in BE play he's going to average 5 or 6 points per game to go with 7 or 8 boards

DC2
As with Rak, there will be times when he just has his way with overmatched opponents, but even 12 and 8 seems like a reach. This will be the third year in a row that SU has brought in a McD AA center, and neither of the other two topped 3 and 3. In fact, you have to go back almost 20 years to find a freshman SU center who topped 5 and 5 (Otis Hill in 93-94 put up 7.9 and 5.6). Of course, we all believe that Coleman is more offensive skilled than any freshman center since that time. I think 12 and 8 is within the realm of possibility, if he gets the minutes (Arinze put up 12 and 8 in 30 minutes per game as a sophomore, but that was his 3rd season with the Orange, not his first), but I think 8 to 9 points and 6 to 8 boards is the more likely range.

I think Coleman is going to be pretty effective cleaning up the offensive boards. I expect him to reach double figures in scoring, if he can stay on the floor.

I am very high on Coleman but not as high as you are. 15 points would surely make him the leading scorer on the team as a frosh. That is really rare, especially on a team with a lot of veterans. Rebounds are more reasonable.

I think you have Christmas too high too, but it is without the realm of possibly for him to hit those numbers.

Christmas averaged 2.8 ppg and 2.9 rpg as a frosh, playing 11.5 mpg. I am going to assume a small improvement in scoring and rebounding, but nothing dramatic. He was not a big scorer in HS and I don't think he will ever be a big scorer in college. I just don't see it in his skill set or in the fit he has in our system. I think he is going to be playing mostly PF and his presence on offense there will be mostly awkward and non productive. He will score more when he plays center. JB might well experiment with moving Coleman to the 4 on offense some. Neither is going to be really comfortable there; square pegs in round holes. Hope I am mistaken about that.

I believe Coleman will be a better rebounder and even scorer than RC even as a frosh but I think it will be his soph season before he gets his averages into double figures (will average a double double from that point forward).

This season is going to feature the guards and forwards scoring points, as usual.

I will take 15/15 from them all day long. Considering we could get 12 and 7 from CJ - there is a nice efficient 27 and 22 from our frontcourt. Assuming we can get 11 from MCW, 16 from Brandon, 13 from Dirty thats 67 a game right there. Fill in with the guys like Cooney and Baye averaging a combined 7 a game and we average 74 a game - maybe I am a little low ( need to add up the decimals for Jerami and the walkons) but say that eeks out to a nice 77 a game- not too shabby.

this squad - especially the front line - is very deep, and that is going to put a limit on both minutes and touches for both of them. So, it's not so much a skill thing as a math thing.

RAK
there are going to be occasions when he has a clear mismatch and is hot and scores in bunches, but for the most part, Rak is going to the the 5th option when he is on the court (this is a reflection of how offensively skilled his teammates are, not a commentary on his own skills). I would think in BE play he's going to average 5 or 6 points per game to go with 7 or 8 boards

DC2
As with Rak, there will be times when he just has his way with overmatched opponents, but even 12 and 8 seems like a reach. This will be the third year in a row that SU has brought in a McD AA center, and neither of the other two topped 3 and 3. In fact, you have to go back almost 20 years to find a freshman SU center who topped 5 and 5 (Otis Hill in 93-94 put up 7.9 and 5.6). Of course, we all believe that Coleman is more offensive skilled than any freshman center since that time. I think 12 and 8 is within the realm of possibility, if he gets the minutes (Arinze put up 12 and 8 in 30 minutes per game as a sophomore, but that was his 3rd season with the Orange, not his first), but I think 8 to 9 points and 6 to 8 boards is the more likely range.
With MCW at the point, RAK or anyone else open in scoring position, will get the rock. Remember that he is a pass first guard by his own admission. RAK and Coleman are going to have a lot of opportunities if they can position themselves well.
Having said that, the OP must have Coleman and RAK confused with DC and Rony with the projections he made. If they both stick around another couple years, then those numbers may be legitimate.

We're all guessing, I suppose, but 26 mpg is what I think is really high for DC. I really see him more in the 15-17 mpg range. I don't pretend to know, but I assume he may have some challenges defensively and in terms of conditioning. Plus, he's got some pretty talented guys fighting for PT with not only Xmas/Keita but Fair/Southerland as well (if both guys are on teh floor at once, it takes away a spot for a big).

I'd guess 15-17 mpg, 6 ppg, 4.5 rpg. Xmas I think will jump significantly in terms of minutes and I think is a bit underrated offensively. I think he'll be more in the 25-27 mpg range with numbers about what you projected. Maybe 8 ppg, 7 rpg.

With MCW at the point, RAK or anyone else open in scoring position, will get the rock. Remember that he is a pass first guard by his own admission. RAK and Coleman are going to have a lot of opportunities if they can position themselves well.
Having said that, the OP must have Coleman and RAK confused with DC and Rony with the projections he made. If they both stick around another couple years, then those numbers may be legitimate.
I was just seeing if those numbers are attainable THIS year. Yea those are also the numbers Coleman and Seikaly put out in '87. I also see more of a chance of of them putting out those numbers next year. That being said, I think the chances of one having a great season and leaving is a real possibility.

Those scoring and rebounding numbers for both Coleman and Rak all seem very high. With our anticipated front court depth, I can't imagine a scenario where either average more than 25 minutes. While I believe both have the potential to contribute offensively, neither will be a primary scoring option next season. And while I expect both to be very effective on the boards, I believe our guards will all be strong rebounders and anticipate Fair and Southerland will play big minutes and continue to rebound well. I just don't think the math works out for anyone on this team to put up huge scoring or rebounding numbers on a consistent basis.

Those scoring and rebounding numbers for both Coleman and Rak all seem very high. With our anticipated front court depth, I can't a scenario imagine where either average more than 25 minutes. While I believe both have the potential to contribute offensively, neither will be a primary scoring option next season. And while I expect both to be very effective on the boards, I believe our guards will all be strong rebounders and anticipate Fair and Southerland will play big minutes and continue to rebound well. I just don't think the math works out for anyone on this team to put up huge scoring or rebounding numbers on a consistent basis.
I look at it as Christmas making a huge sophomore jump and Coleman reuniting with his friend he played well with. I know I'm probably being too optimistic.

I look at it as Christmas making a huge sophomore jump and Coleman reuniting with his friend he played well with. I know I'm probably being too optimistic.
Nothing wrong with optimism. Just remember that on deep, balanced teams players can be very good and take big leaps forward without their raw numbers jumping out at you.

I have no doubt Coleman and Rak could put up those kind of numbers on teams where the cupboard is bare. But just look at what we have and how the scoring is likely to be distributed. I think the back court can reasonably be expected to give us about 30 points a night. Add another 30 points from Fair, Southerland, Keita and Grant and we're up to 60. If Coleman and Rak added 27 that would take us to 87 ppg, and it's highly unlikely we score at that level over a full season.

I don't think they would both get enough minutes to get those stats -- maybe one would, but than the other will lose some minutes.

I am more concerned about how efficient they will be while on the floor. More PER like stats then gross counting stats which are highly dependant on minutes that simply may not be available.

The average PER in the NBA is around 15.00 -- what is it in the NCAA, and is there an equivalent readily available out there?

What was Christmas' last year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom