Would you miss a spring showcase? | Syracusefan.com

Would you miss a spring showcase?

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Lots of negative feedback around last Saturday. For those who attended:
If we did not hold a Spring Showcase next year, held a productive 20th closed spring practice and enhanced the FanFest in August would you be upset?

No. Every year I get less and less out the spring game. Wouldn't upset me a bit.

We were hoping for something better, but it was just good to see the kids out there working. I miss it a little bit, but I understand why they do what they do.

I would, but if fan fest delivered I'd survive. To be fair, the excitement for this thing has always sucked. I for one don't go for the football. You go in knowing it isn't going to be an epic sporting event. For me it's about access to the program. The opportunity to meet/take pics/get signatures as a kid, and now for my kids it priceless for me.

Whether it's spring Game, fan fest, or both, they need to promote access and make it simple like old days in the field after.

i dont think its even the spring showcase, last year fanfest was cancelled because of thunderstorms with no replacement event

Full disclaimer: I used to attend spring practices back in the day when Marrone had them open over on South.

Do people without kids really care about interacting with the players? I liked going to the practices to see the scheme, who the good coaches were, and learn a bit more about who to expect big things from. I never went looking for autographs, or pics, or anything else. In the grand scheme of things, you're attending a practice. So what are you expecting to get out of it?

I'm genuinely interested, this isn't bashing anyone.

If we did not hold a Spring Showcase next year, held a productive 20th closed spring practice and enhanced the FanFest in August would you be upset?
I would be really upset. I don't care about player interaction, I don't care about free vouchers for hot dogs, I don't want to use it as an opportunity to improve my football seats.

I just want to see the team play. I want to see who has gotten bigger, what the new players look like, how everyone plays, etc.

I want Fan Fest too but I don't want to wait 8 months to see the team play again. Doing away with the spring game would be a major slap in the face to a fanbase that has had to endure 20 years of awful play, sub-standard coaching and god awful execution. Please don't take something else away from the fans.

The fact that this question is even being asked speaks volumes about how clueless the SU AD office is about what fans want. If people are saying they are okay with it, it is only because of the awful job the SU AD has done putting it on in recent years.

Do anyone else not do a spring game? I know Miami didn't this year but that was only because they are renovating their stadium...

Full disclaimer: I used to attend spring practices back in the day when Marrone had them open over on South.

Do people without kids really care about interacting with the players? I liked going to the practices to see the scheme, who the good coaches were, and learn a bit more about who to expect big things from. I never went looking for autographs, or pics, or anything else. In the grand scheme of things, you're attending a practice. So what are you expecting to get out of it?

I've been going to these since the old gait lacrosse games would follow. Name the coach, none of these have been great. We get a new coach, attendance is up. I think Marrones crowd was pretty good his first year. Hell, grob had one spring game i think lasted 20 minutes? That's a guess, but I remember everyone looking at each other like "What?".

I think anyone who goes looking for a real insight into that years program is digging too deep.

You must feel the same way about fan fest? It is what it is.

These events with my father, as well as the games are why I'm a lifelong die hard. And I helped groom my die hard children to be life long fans this past Saturday, and I will continue to do so.

I've been going to these since the old gait lacrosse games would follow. Name the coach, none of these have been great. We get a new coach, attendance is up. I think Marrones crowd was pretty good his first year. Hell, grob had one spring game i think lasted 20 minutes? That's a guess, but I remember everyone looking at each other like "What?".

I think anyone who goes looking for a real insight into that years program is digging too deep.

You must feel the same way about fan fest? It is what it is.

These events with my father, as well as the games are why I'm a lifelong die hard. And I helped groom my die hard children to be life long fans this past Saturday, and I will continue to do so.

I think they are great events for kids to become fans, as they are free and allow you to really get up close.

I don't think there's much of an appeal if you don't have kids, personally. It's why I stopped attending Midnight Madness after my freshman year.

i like it spring showcase and have not missed one in a long time. but like others said, I also like fan fest.

I feel like these events are a nuisance for the new staff. I could be way off, but I think Dino was secretly happy fan fest was cancelled last year.

If the access to players after the game remains as it was this year, then yes, i will not make it a priority to jump in the car from albany for a vanilla 50 min game. It is what it is.

I don't think it was so vanilla , the O wasn't very good and the D was . If course it will get spun as vanilla to save face .good news is it's only April

I don't think it was so vanilla , the O wasn't very good and the D was . If course it will get spun as vanilla to save face .good news is it's only April
Vanilla or not it's already been said the D knew what plays where coming. Just look at the offense the week before, all reports show it was running just fine AND like you said it' only April.

Everyone knew it was going to be vanilla going in. Babers is one (of many) of those coaches who don't like to tip their hand. He's said it publicly before. No spin at all.

I liked going to the practices to see the scheme, who the good coaches were, and learn a bit more about who to expect big things from. I never went looking for autographs, or pics, or anything else. In the grand scheme of things, you're attending a practice.
Man, I miss those days.

I would be disappointed if there were no spring game, but I'm not going next year unless they make it more worthwhile.
All I want is to have it feel like a gameday atmosphere: teams run out of the tunnels, full team kick offs and punts without live returns; coaches calling plays for each side; real clock; lively announcing.

I've never been to a spring game so I have no opinion. Since people keep asking how many recruits will be attending, my question is: do spring games actually help the recruiting efforts? :noidea:

It is a waste. I get suckered into going every few years and every time I wish I hadn't gone. It is way too quick of an event. The team shows very little so you get no idea of what to expect. The team changes a lot between April and August. The "game" is no streamed online. IMO the program would be better off scrapping the spring game and concentrating on making the fanfest THE event.

It is a waste. I get suckered into going every few years and every time I wish I hadn't gone. It is way too quick of an event. The team shows very little so you get no idea of what to expect. The team changes a lot between April and August. The "game" is no streamed online. IMO the program would be better off scrapping the spring game and concentrating on making the fanfest THE event.
It wAs on WatchESPN live on ACC Network extra.

I liked interacting with the players. I didn't go to a lot of spring games but in my 20's before I moved south I went to a few. Freeney's last spring I brought a football that I got signed by a bunch of guys including Freeney, Diamond Ferry, Walter Reyes, etc. It may be cheesy but for a regular guy that has never been close to being an "insider" it made me feel closer to the team.

Not at all. Better to have a practice. I won't go again and I have been going for years. They didn't want to have it so they made it very unentertaining. I came a long way to see the game and got up very early.

Starting it at 10 am shows they didn't want anybody to come. I wanted to see a sample of the "new" Orange. Didn't see much of anything