Would you rather? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would you rather?

Why do you think we would slot ahead of Louisville, but behind Arizona? I would actually rank Louisville ahead of the other second tier programs you list.

2 National Championships
9 Final Fours
12 Elite Eights

16th all time in number of wins, but their .658 winning percentage is higher then 9 of the 15 teams with more wins.
That works; I should have done some research before listing off those programs in that order. I just knew that we don't have the FFs that most of those other teams do...

Being 5th on the all-time wins list is certainly a great achievement, but we simply have not been to enough Final Fours to warrant being in that truly elite conversation. We're a 2nd Tier power with teams like Louisville, Michigan State, Arizona, UConn and Ohio State.
Uconn, mich st have quite a bit of final fours and elite 8's recently. And OSU and ville tend to go further most of the time.

In terms of winning we are a blueblood.
In terms of finishing strong in the tournament we are a sweet 16 power roundoff.
While teams like Uconn, MSU, Ville are more of a round up to 5,6,7th,8th, or 9th, with lots of elite 8's and final four appearences recently.

We are a blueblood in winning but only 3rd tier in the ncaa tournament.

Granted though you have to figure in our national championship, last elite 8 without Fab, and loss of arinze only leading to the sweet 16, and a loss to a Oklahoma team in the round of 16 that probably should have been a one instead of a 2. A team that was probably the 2nd or 3rd best in the tournament. In the last 10 years, we are arguably a elite 8 blueblood atleast 2nd tier.

Uconn, mich st have quite a bit of final fours and elite 8's recently. And OSU and ville tend to go further most of the time.

In terms of winning we are a blueblood.
In terms of finishing strong in the tournament we are a sweet 16 power roundoff.
While teams like Uconn, MSU, Ville are more of a round up to 5,6,7th,8th, or 9th, with lots of elite 8's and final four appearences recently.

We are a blueblood in winning but only 3rd tier in the ncaa tournament.

Granted though you have to figure in our national championship, last elite 8 without Fab, and loss of arinze only leading to the sweet 16, and a loss to a Oklahoma team in the round of 16 that probably should have been a one instead of a 2. A team that was probably the 2nd or 3rd best in the tournament. In the last 10 years, we are arguably a elite 8 blueblood.
I think the bluebloods are clear cut and set in stone.

But you bring up a good point about regular season vs. the tournament. Unfortunately, if you're an elite program (which we are) you can only call your season truly successful if you get to the Final Four. If I'm not mistaken, we have the best winning percentage in college basketball over the last 3 years? And all we have to show for it is 1 Elite 8 appearence (which was our first since 2003). 1 Elite Eight over the last 8 years is not a trait of an true elite program.

I hear what you're saying about the bad luck we've had, but that doesn't really give us a pass, nor do we get an asterisk for not performing up to standards because of suspensions or injury.

# Summerthread

1. Syracuse basketball reach blueblood status

2. Syracuse football reach Alabama/LSU/USC caliber.

You can only pick one, and selecting one demotes the other to Rutgers status.
I choose basketball, because breaking into the very top tier of FB programs is near to being Mission: Impossible. And, the movement to the new playoff set-up (not to mention the possibility of breaking away from the NCAA) is all about the teams at the very top locking in their advantages, and locking out everybody else. Only the big state schools will be able to compete going forward. The exception being USC, of course. Even ND seems unable to re-ascend, and Miami may be in the same predicament, unless they decide to go outlaw again.

Its one thing to make excuses its another to put the obvious pieces together.

Agree we don't get a pass or a asterik but neither do preseason rankings while they give teams that don't deserve them hype. Think back to MSU two years ago. They were thought to be the best team in the naiton preseason and had 11 losses and barely a round of 32.

Point is its not whats on paper its what is achieved. Close losses, and loosing key pieces are part of that.
If you lose one of your 4 best players every year the last game of the season and only make the round of 16, but would be a final four team with them then that means a heck of alot.

Its not whats on paper but not what was achieved, how hard you played, nor a close loss.
People always see the victory but they also ignorantly speak on the potential or hard work. People mocked last years Miami Heat team like crazy but like it or not they still got to the finals and even though they lost thats Darn Good.

Football.

Also, for the record: hashtags are stupid and i wish they'd go away

(First comment inspired from the heart, second from the beer - neither are probably realistic)

I would rather Syracuse have an elite football program, because college football is awesome. There's nothing like tailgating on a nice fall Saturday. Football road trips are also easier to make and a lot more fun, especially to the "big" schools and nice campuses. Plus, the SUAD would stand to make a ton more money from having elite football rather than elite basketball. Elite football also ensures we would never be left behind in conference realignment if things ever changed again.

It's funny because this is almost exactly what I was thinking. The rest of the country would agree with you. College basketball doesn't move the needle like football does outside of the NE and select regions in the mid-Atlantic and South.

I honestly don't know what I would choose, but I think if this question were asked in the other major conferences, 85+% of people would answer football.

44cuse

Personally I like (a) one night of Friends with Benefits with Kristin Stewart vs (b) discovering a cow that milks pure crude oil.

Shagging bugs bunny on meth - you have to be kidding.

I honestly don't know what I would choose, but I think if this question were asked in the other major conferences, 85+% of people would answer football.

44cuse
Hell half the Big East would pick football. WVU, Louisville, CIncy, USF, Rutgers would all definitely pick football I'd assume.

I'm a basketball fan first, so it is a pretty easy choice for me...Of course the copout answer is that even if basketball is immediately demoted, based on the strength of our football program, we could use the money and publicity to rebuild. But I'm guessing the scenario rules that out.

Hell half the Big East would pick football. WVU, Louisville, CIncy, USF, Rutgers would all definitely pick football I'd assume.

Agreed. I was trying not to offend all the basketball first folks on the board. I've just always felt that most SU Fans really don't understand how big the world of football is outside of the NE. I know I didn't truly realize until I moved away.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom