would you take 36% from three | Syracusefan.com

would you take 36% from three

moqui

generational talent
from your starting backcourt? because that is what Cooney & Joseph are over the last 3 games.

Cooney is shooting .380 over the last 3 games (8 for 21), and after taking a total of only 3 three pointers through the first six games, Joseph has taken 12 in the last three games, and hit for a reasonable 33%.

CM & Roc established an inside game in the first few games, but there was no shooting to support it. Recently, though, the guards have been respectable from the arc.

Green shoots. And, good to see that Roberson looked healthy and can be the boost off the bench.

Our biggest issue is still ball security and the points we have lost there overall. I think the offense has the potential to really improve but we have to limit turnovers to give them more reps. The shooting, Tyler's play and Trevor's over all games are all good indications of improvement going forward but its going to be hard to beat anyone good until Kaleb gets the turnovers, especially the ones that are handing the other team 2 points, under control.

Our biggest issue is still ball security and the points we have lost there overall. I think the offense has the potential to really improve but we have to limit turnovers to give them more reps. The shooting, Tyler's play and Trevor's over all games are all good indications of improvement going forward but its going to be hard to beat anyone good until Kaleb gets the turnovers, especially the ones that are handing the other team 2 points, under control.
I'm sure it will come. The La Tech game should pay dividends down the road.

from your starting backcourt? because that is what Cooney & Joseph are over the last 3 games.

Cooney is shooting .380 over the last 3 games (8 for 21), and after taking a total of only 3 three pointers through the first six games, Joseph has taken 12 in the last three games, and hit for a reasonable 33%.

CM & Roc established an inside game in the first few games, but there was no shooting to support it. Recently, though, the guards have been respectable from the arc.

Green shoots. And, good to see that Roberson looked healthy and can be the boost off the bench.

Ummm...yes! Last week or so I compiled SU's 3 pt percentages over the last ten years. We seemed to have averaged around 34%. So 36% would actually be very good.

I will take it if it also comes with 10 or 11 turnovers vs 17 plus. If trevor can keep up this kind of play and Mike G can get his back straight I think Trev/MG should see minutes together in the backcourt to give Kaleb a chance to observe. Also the kid has looked gassed in a couple games which has led to leaving open shooters at the top of the zone. Trev's ball handling was decent enough to be a guy to see if we can trust him to play some point even if its to attack and look for his shot more. Let him play the two man game with rak like Gerry/Hak used to do.

I will take it if it also comes with 10 or 11 turnovers vs 17 plus. If trevor can keep up this kind of play and Mike G can get his back straight I think Trev/MG should see minutes together in the backcourt to give Kaleb a chance to observe. Also the kid has looked gassed in a couple games which has led to leaving open shooters at the top of the zone. Trev's ball handling was decent enough to be a guy to see if we can trust him to play some point even if its to attack and look for his shot more. Let him play the two man game with rak like Gerry/Hak used to do.

Great post. I was just thinking myself that Cooney/Roc can be a lot like Gerry/Hak.

I'm sure it will come. The La Tech game should pay dividends down the road.

I agree it will come but when is the question and I have to admit that after 9 games I'm a bit worried about how much Kaleb can develop over the course of this season. Not so much his career but this season being under the gun and showing very minimal if any improvement game to game over the first 9 with the turnovers and decision making. I do think that the La Tech game will pay dividends right away going into the Nova game and that we see Cooney handle the ball more against that 1-2-2

without looking or remembering, safe to assume they were pretty bad 4 games ago

I'll take it if we can increase the volume of 3's and maintain that percentage. Shooting 36% from deep is nice if we're talking about 6 or 7 makes (16-19 attemps). 3 or 4 made threes aren't enough to have a significant postive impact on the offense, especially if they're only from 2 guys, because defenses would still pack it in.

nobody shoots a machine-like percentage game after game after game, so you are going to be disappointed not only in this team, but forever

Correct inconsistency is a fact even looking at the best shooters of all time. Feast or famine is tough though but as you pointed out what we have seen lately is two guys who can make them, will take them and have been consistent enough over the last few games.

Last edited:
nobody shoots a machine-like percentage game after game after game, so you are going to be disappointed not only in this team, but forever

You're 100 percent correct. Here's Reggie Miller's game log from 96-97. One of the best statistical seasons in his career. He shot 43% from three that year. Yeah he had games he went 6-10 from three. He also had games he went 2-10.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/millere01/gamelog/1997/

Correct inconsistency is a fact even looking at the best shooters of all time. Feast or famine is tough though but as you pointed out what we have seen lately is two guys who can make theme, will take them and have been consistent enough over the last few games.

Feast or famine is so noticeable with us because we really only have one guy capable of making multiple deep shots every game. I mean even when we made the final four two years ago and we weren't great offensively, we had Dirty as our "designated shooter', but MCW, Triche, Fair, and Cooney when he played were still somewhat capable of hitting one or two threes a game. We don't even get that now.

I'll take it if we can increase the volume of 3's and maintain that percentage. Shooting 36% from deep is nice if we're talking about 6 or 7 makes (16-19 attemps). 3 or 4 made threes aren't enough to have a significant postive impact on the offense, especially if they're only from 2 guys, because defenses would still pack it in.
I get your general point, but no way we want this team jacking up 16-19. Yesterday was just about perfect and that was 12, and of those, 8 were from TC. 5 to 7 per half as a team seems about right to me

I get your general point, but no way we want this team jacking up 16-19. Yesterday was just about perfect and that was 12, and of those, 8 were from TC. 5 to 7 per half as a team seems about right to me

We need a third guy to step up. Cooney shooting 8, Joseph shooting 4, and a third guy shooting 4 would be the perfect balance, IMO.

Brooky03 said:
We need a third guy to step up. Cooney shooting 8, Joseph shooting 4, and a third guy shooting 4 would be the perfect balance, IMO.

Give them to McCullough for now, if that doesn't work go to G, if that doesn't work go BJ, if that doesn't work start over until we find that legit third threat.

Ideal per half:

Cooney - 2 to 4 3s taken
Kaleb - 1 to 2

and
G - 1 to 2
or
CMac - 1 to 2

4 to 8 per half

without looking or remembering, safe to assume they were pretty bad 4 games ago
small sample size, of course, but you can't help but notice the change in Joseph's offensive approach.

I did it for three games because that is where the obvious change occurred - it looks like Kaleb has been given something of a green light. From three total attempts through the first 6 games to average 4 attempts per game over the last three. and, lo and behold, with the other guard taking deep shots, suddenly Trevor's percentage perks up.

and to repeat - small sample size - no guarantee this maintains

well we are mostly likely going to lose the conference games we shoot 10% deep and probably win when we shoot 60. this year we're shooting 23%. last season once conference play got underway we went 4-5 in games where we shot 23% or less. that includes the 0-fer against dayton. so if you're happy with a .500 conference record and another early tourney exit that 23% is good news.

Last edited:
but against dayton we went o-fer outside of 3 ft let alone the 3pt line..

I'd like to see TBCuse11's response to this!

im honored to be singled out in this thread...

the one thing i agree with 100% is that Trevor should play the point more. He isnt a great or even good 2 guard, so let him be more of a combo guard... a la Devendorf or GMac.
Rak and Cooney could play a good two man game. This will happen everntually, as Joseph is going to be eaten alive in ACC play.

Other than that, re-visit this 5 games from now if Cooney is 7 for 40 from 3pt land in that stretch and have the same discussion. "Would you take 17% from three pt land"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom