Would you

College basketball

• One and done

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CU44SE

All Conference
Be for college basketball going to a 3 year in college rule like college football if it ment some of the top players went overseas to play instead of play college or stay with the one and done system?

Be for college basketball going to a 3 year in college rule like college football if it ment some of the top players went overseas to play instead of play college or stay with the one and done system?
nope. as long as players and coaches know what they're getting into, i don't see why we need to send 18 year olds off to turkey.

coaches don't need to take the one and doners

and without melo, we'd be so tortured

I hope what you're saying is the NBA institutes a 3 year rule (or even a 2 year rule). It is not the colleges that came up with the one year rule and they have no power to force kids to stay. If the NBA were to increase the rule to 2 or 3 years, the college game may lose some of the top players to Europe, but I don't think it would be the majority, for a variety of reasons. I think the college game would benefit from it.

nope. as long as players and coaches know what they're getting into, i don't see why we need to send 18 year olds off to turkey.

coaches don't need to take the one and doners

and without melo, we'd be so tortured

Well, "we" wouldn't be sending them off. It would be a choice they made.

I think the NFL rule is a good rule given the fact NCAA football seems to be a minor league for them. Just so happens to be similar for NCAA basketball. The one-and-done rule truly hurts the college game, and I think it would behoove the NCAA to work collaboratively with the NBA in implementing a mutually beneficial rule (Much like with the NFL)

I think the only way trend stops is if the NBA contracts some teams, leading to fewer roster spots, and a smaller first round. That will create a backlog of older players who are more draftable than the younger players, except for the exceptional talent who is better than most in the classes in front of them. Of course that will never happen. At least a quarter to a third of NBA teams are currently terrible.

If Kyrie Irving, MCW, Brandon Knight, Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke are all in this years's draft, does Ennis even consider coming out?

Well, "we" wouldn't be sending them off. It would be a choice they made.

I think the NFL rule is a good rule given the fact NCAA football seems to be a minor league for them. Just so happens to be similar for NCAA basketball. The one-and-done rule truly hurts the college game, and I think it would behoove the NCAA to work collaboratively with the NBA in implementing a mutually beneficial rule (Much like with the NFL)
point is that we're reducing their choices and i don't really care for that

I hope what you're saying is the NBA institutes a 3 year rule (or even a 2 year rule). It is not the colleges that came up with the one year rule and they have no power to force kids to stay. If the NBA were to increase the rule to 2 or 3 years, the college game may lose some of the top players to Europe, but I don't think it would be the majority, for a variety of reasons. I think the college game would benefit from it.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear enough; I thought it was insinuated that way. I would assume the NBA owners would be all about implementing a 3 year rule because they wouldn't waste money and draft picks on players that were not ready for the NBA. They would see their development and transformation, making drafting easier, in turn making their team better. They would no longer rely solely on potential but on a players actual abilities. Obviously its something that they have to collectively bargain though and I don't really understand why the NBA players association would be against it either. If I had to guess, they would be against it because the older fringe players who make it in the league can rely on young kids entering the league early and unprepared and run out of the league in 2-3 short years; which would lead to these older fringe players having a longer career and earning more money. I mean, what other reason would the players association have against implementing a 3 year rule like the NFL? Both leagues are grown man leagues, and most kids are not ready for that type of physical grind. I wrote in a forum recently that it t0ok Kobe and Garnet 4 years to become good NBA players and they were once in a generation players coming out of high school. Im not a fan of Lebron but when looking at his rookie and 2nd year numbers he was head and shoulders above those two, he was just a different kind of animal. That kid was built coming out of high school, he was a grown man. But that is a rarity, even for players the caliber of him.

So you dont care for what the NFL does?

In Millhouse's defense, there really isn't a market for American football outside of well, America, so their choices are already limited. However, I disagree (respectfully of course) that limiting their options is our problem. It's not like they are entitled to play at top tier universities or the in the NBA.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear enough; I thought it was insinuated that way. I would assume the NBA owners would be all about implementing a 3 year rule because they wouldn't waste money and draft picks on players that were not ready for the NBA. They would see their development and transformation, making drafting easier, in turn making their team better. They would no longer rely solely on potential but on a players actual abilities. Obviously its something that they have to collectively bargain though and I don't really understand why the NBA players association would be against it either. If I had to guess, they would be against it because the older fringe players who make it in the league can rely on young kids entering the league early and unprepared and run out of the league in 2-3 short years; which would lead to these older fringe players having a longer career and earning more money. I mean, what other reason would the players association have against implementing a 3 year rule like the NFL? Both leagues are grown man leagues, and most kids are not ready for that type of physical grind. I wrote in a forum recently that it t0ok Kobe and Garnet 4 years to become good NBA players and they were once in a generation players coming out of high school. Im not a fan of Lebron but when looking at his rookie and 2nd year numbers he was head and shoulders above those two, he was just a different kind of animal. That kid was built coming out of high school, he was a grown man. But that is a rarity, even for players the caliber of him.
Sorry for the nit pick, but I think some some people are still confused about who has the power to change the rule. I think the reasons the union won't agree to it are two fold. One, the earlier a player can get to the league, the earlier they can get to their second contract, so it's about the money. Second, they fight it simply because the league wants it. They can use it as a bargaining tool and force the league to give something up to get it, if the league prioritizes it high enough. I agree that Lebron is not enough of an argument against extending the rule to two or three years. You can't use outliers when establishing rules.

In Millhouse's defense, there really isn't a market for American football outside of well, America, so their choices are already limited. However, I disagree (respectfully of course) that limiting their options is our problem. It's not like they are entitled to play at top tier universities or the in the NBA.

My point being, no one complains about the NFL having a 3 year rule. But then when it comes to the NBA having a one and done rule, people believe kids have the right to go straight to the NBA if they so please. Its contradictory and really has no relevance to having options outside of the NFL. Just my 2 cents

point is that we're reducing their choices and i don't really care for that
I don't want to have to go to law school and pass the bar to become an attorney. It's awful that my choices have been reduced like that.

Sorry for the nit pick, but I think some some people are still confused about who has the power to change the rule. I think the reasons the union won't agree to it are two fold. One, the earlier a player can get to the league, the earlier they can get to their second contract, so it's about the money. Second, they fight it simply because the league wants it. They can use it as a bargaining tool and force the league to give something up to get it, if the league prioritizes it high enough. I agree that Lebron is not enough of an argument against extending the rule to two or three years. You can't use outliers when establishing rules.

No big deal, and although I understand your first point, the NBA players association is only responsible for the players currently in the league. Therefore I dont believe they would look out for players getting to their second contract, the older players would be more set on making the most money for the longest period of time. Its the exact reason the NFL implemented the wage scale slotting in the draft. The players wanted more money to go to the veterans, obviously the owners also didnt want to pay huge contracts to unproven players. They both won in that exchange. But your second point is spot on. Why should they give something up with nothing in return. Currently the Players association has no executive director right now, so nothing will happen in the short term.

No big deal, and although I understand your first point, the NBA players association is only responsible for the players currently in the league. Therefore I dont believe they would look out for players getting to their second contract, the older players would be more set on making the most money for the longest period of time. Its the exact reason the NFL implemented the wage scale slotting in the draft. The players wanted more money to go to the veterans, obviously the owners also didnt want to pay huge contracts to unproven players. They both won in that exchange. But your second point is spot on. Why should they give something up with nothing in return. Currently the Players association has no executive director right now, so nothing will happen in the short term.
The first point is for the players in the league. They have the responsibility to set up a system beneficial to their membership. Getting guys to their second contract is part of that system.

So you dont care for what the NFL does?
Two very different sports. Some (though not many) 18 and 19 year-olds are physically capable of playing in the NBA and actually contributing or even starring. Exactly how would you imagine an 18 year-old doing that in the NFL?

There are legitimate health/safety concerns with 18/19 year olds playing in the NFL. That's not the case in the NBA.

I think players should be able to be able to enter the draft right out of HS, but if they go to school, they have to go for at least 2 years. Basically, what baseball does except 1 less year. That would be a fair compromise in my opinion.

As an aside, I think raising the minimum age to 20, like Silver's discussed, is ridiculous. Future Lebron James, Kevin Garnetts, Kobe Bryants, etc. should be allowed to enter the league right out of high school if that's their desire. This is America. The onus should be NBA teams to do their due diligence and ensure they're drafting the next Lebron and not the next Kwame Brown. Don't prevent everyone from making the jump just because you're afraid you'll screw up.

Last edited:
If you go to college you should make a commitment to stay there at least 3 years. But if you don't and you are good enough to get drafted out of high school they should let you.

Almost anything would be better than one and done.. CBB is quickly morphing into a one year penalty imposed by the NBA for being good at basketball. The only Student/Athletes are the walkons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom