wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall for a lester-shafer conversation? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall for a lester-shafer conversation?

Colorado and Washington State had terrible 3rd years , it took both coaches 4 years . Shafer only got 3 and made a bowl in one of the years .
Colorado and Washington State were complete rebuilds Shafer was taking over a .500 program and went backwards. He wasn't going to have an incredible year this year. We would have been mediocre like we are now.

Colorado and Washington State had terrible 3rd years , it took both coaches 4 years . Shafer only got 3 and made a bowl in one of the years .
And the talent that was coming in was getting worse. So why bother going a fourth year? It was clear he wasn't the guy.

yeah, i was just guessing. he's 49% for his career

michigan shut down indiana, that's what michigan does to indiana.

Michigan owns the football Hoosiers for sure.

Looking at O'Korn's numbers it's interesting to note that in 2013 he threw for over 3,000 yards as the QB for the Houston Cougars. That season he also threw for 28 TDs and his completion percentage for the season was something like 57%.

He transfers to Michigan in 2015, during the 2016 fall camp he competes for the #1 QB spot and loses a close competition. Then cut to November 2016 and O'Korn is asked to replace the injured #1 against the Hoosier defense, and O'Korn only completes 44% of his passes. Nothing too unusual about him struggling coming off the bench to replace an injured #1 QB in my opinion. It's the norm. I cut Mahoney some slack.

Michigan owns the football Hoosiers for sure.

Looking at O'korn's numbers it's interesting to note that in 2013 he threw for over 3,000 yards as the QB for the Houston Cougars. That season he also threw for 28 TDs and his completion percentage for the season was something like 57%.

He transfers to Michigan in 2015, during the 2016 fall camp he competes for the #1 QB spot and loses a close competition. Then cut to November 2016 and O'Korn is asked to replace the injured #1 against the Hoosier defense, and O'Korn only completes 44% of his passes. Nothing too unusual about him struggling coming off the bench to replace an injured #1 QB in my opinion. It's the norm. I cut Mahoney some slack.
you're taking 1 o'korn game and comparing to mahoney's whole career

sub 50% against fbs

And the talent that was coming in was getting worse. So why bother going a fourth year? It was clear he wasn't the guy.
It is very difficult to get any real recruiting traction when people are calling for the coach to be fired in his 2nd and 3rd years at a school that had previously shown little real commitment to football.

It is very difficult to get any real recruiting traction when people are calling for the coach to be fired in his 2nd and 3rd years at a school that had previously shown little real commitment to football.
How do the recruiting classes get worse following the most productive stretch in a decade? There was an opportunity to get better, and Shafer's staff recruited a couple of good players and little depth.

you're taking 1 o'korn game and comparing to mahoney's whole career

sub 50% against fbs

Mahoney's career at SU has consisted of replacing injured QBs mostly against very difficult competition. Are you saying FSU beat SU on Saturday because of Mahoney?

How do the recruiting classes get worse following the most productive stretch in a decade? There was an opportunity to get better, and Shafer's staff recruited a couple of good players and little depth.
Recruits have to believe that the coach they are making agreements with will be there for their career . Otherwise you can end up in a situation like Fredrick's .

Shafer didn't recruit well in 2014 coming off a 7-6 year. Dino has our best class in a decade. We have a top 40 class right now.
Also when did a SS beat a ranked team?

This season reminds me some of Marrone's first year. I think the positions were similar. Looking at this roster, other than Dungey I am not so sure that babers didn't inherit less talent than Marrone and the level of competition in the ACC is so much better than the NBE

Can anyone explain to me the situation at Bowling Green this season? I have been very busy the past several months, and I haven't had the time to follow as many teams as I would like.

Did BG struggle this season due to a lack of talent in the cupboard or was it more to do with running new schemes under the new coaching staff?

Can anyone explain to me the situation at Bowling Green this season? I have been very busy the past several months, and I haven't had the time to follow as many teams as I would like.

Did BG struggle this season due to a lack of talent in the cupboard or was it more to do with running new schemes under the new coaching staff?

Rookie HC

Shafer didn't recruit well in 2014 coming off a 7-6 year. Dino has our best class in a decade. We have a top 40 class right now.

Shafer's recruiting clearly lacked a lot

I still can't stand the offense we tried last year and I love this year's offense. you see improvement with dungey in there beyond the improvement that comes with his experience

that said, the differences between those offenses matter a whole lot less than the differences between qbs

i know what i'd be saying if i were them - SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE TO PLAY MAHONEY BLESS HIS HEART

They're probably saying I guess we didn't punt enough as Syracuse is 3rd in the nation in punts this year.

A punting we will go ;)[/QUOTE]

Mahoney's career at SU has consisted of replacing injured QBs mostly against very difficult competition. Are you saying FSU beat SU on Saturday because of Mahoney?
do you have a different tab open with a different board? you seem very confused because there is no reasonable way to read my posts and conclude that I'm saying that.

against NC St 2x and BC, he's 50%

against LSU, Clemson and FSU he's 42%

that's really bad. I dropped out the games where he didn't throw much (<7 passes)

It takes time for a new coach ( first time head coach ) to get some street cred . Dino has it but the murmurs aren't good . Hope they can convince him to stay for 3-4 years .

It takes time for a new coach ( first time head coach ) to get some street cred . Dino has it but the murmurs aren't good . Hope they can convince him to stay for 3-4 years .
If it takes time then we were even more stupid for giving the keys to SS when we were making the biggest transition in program history.
Hiring a coach with training wheels in that scenario is even more dumb and shows why he didn't get a 4th year.

do you have a different tab open with a different board? you seem very confused because there is no reasonable way to read my posts and conclude that I'm saying that.

against NC St 2x and BC, he's 50%

against LSU, Clemson and FSU he's 42%

that's really bad. I dropped out the games where he didn't throw much (<7 passes)

Nope, I've read thousands of your posts.

Why do you think FSU beat SU if it wasn't Mahoney?

I don't blame Mahoney, and I cut him some slack. The O'Korn scenaro highlights one big reason why.

Nope, I've read thousands of your posts.

Why do you think FSU beat SU if it wasn't Mahoney?

I don't blame Mahoney, and I cut him some slack. The O'Korn scenaro highlights one big reason why.
obviously FSU is way better than SU. that should go without saying.

talking about mahoney being totally ineffective is not to say that they only lost because of him.

with average qb play, we do better than 3.2 yards per play

If it takes time then we were even more stupid for giving the keys to SS when we were making the biggest transition in program history.
Hiring a coach with training wheels in that scenario is even more dumb and shows why he didn't get a 4th year.
Look at Indiana football which is very similar to SU's situation . They have kept Wilson there and he has slowly made them competitive . Indiana is no easy win and is really close to being relevant in the B1G , as hard as that is to believe . If Dino stays a while it could be good , if not more wash , rinse , repeat .

obviously FSU is way better than SU. that should go without saying.

talking about mahoney being totally ineffective is not to say that they only lost because of him.

with average qb play, we do better than 3.2 yards per play

I agree. Although FSU is a little down this year. Starting a true fresham at QB is definitely a factor. Dungey improved a great deal with the off-season. He was starting games last season after ariving on campus in July.

I agree. Although FSU is a little down this year. Starting a true fresham at QB is definitely a factor. Dungey improved a great deal with the off-season. He was starting games last season after ariving on campus in July.
best case scenario, this is 2011 where there were flashes of something good and a long stretch of garbage due to injuries.

best case scenario, this is 2011 where there were flashes of something good and a long stretch of garbage due to injuries.

During 2011 a lot of people on this board wanted HCDM fired, and that was after his team won the Pinstripe Bowl in 2010. I was not one of them, and I supported HCDM on this board in 2011 in the face of a lot of resistance.

I don't seen any similarity between 2011 and 2015 or 2016 if that is what you are saying.

Look at Indiana football which is very similar to SU's situation . They have kept Wilson there and he has slowly made them competitive . Indiana is no easy win and is really close to being relevant in the B1G , as hard as that is to believe . If Dino stays a while it could be good , if not more wash , rinse , repeat .
Indiana when Wilson took over wasn't what Shafer took over at Syracuse.
Plus he had experience as a HC.