Class of 2020 - WR Diante Vines (CT) Verbal to Iowa | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Diante Vines (CT) Verbal to Iowa

Something tells me this one isn’t over.
Mystified why any talented WR would want to play in that run oriented, antiquated, prehistoric, meathead offense.

Why would you want to go halfway around the country to play in corn fields against a bunch of mediocre, run oriented boring offenses? Why would you give up on having any chance of ever playing for a NC?

Iowa has finished a season ranked in the coaches poll exactly one time in the last 9 seasons. Ferentz, assuming he is still alive, will be 65 when he starts coaching Vines how to block.

Moo.

Last edited:
Mystified why any talented WR would want to play in that run oriented, antiquated, prehistoric, meathead offense.

Why would you want to go halfway around the country to play in corn fields against a bunch of mediocre, run oriented boring offenses? Why would you give up on having any chance of ever playing for a NC?

Iowa has finished a season ranked exactly one time in the last 9 seasons. Ferentz, assuming he is still alive, will be 65 when he starts coaching Vines how to block.

Moo.

Iowa has finished a season ranked in the coaches poll exactly one time in the last 9 seasons. Ferentz, assuming he is still alive, will be 65 when he starts coaching Vines how to block.

Moo.
He might have mistakenly been told it was heaven when it fact it was just Iowa.

He might have mistakenly been told it was heaven when it fact it was just Iowa.
Are they plowing over their corn fields to put in football fields now, too? Those crazy Iowa farmers.
field-of-dreams.jpg

TJ Hockerson, Iowa #8 overall 2019 NFL draft
Noah Fant Iowa #20 overall 2019 NFL draft

I know they are tight ends, but receivers too, maybe that argument worked on Vines?

Maybe. He just seemed to love it there. I think he really liked SU a lot so maybe an official will change his mind if he is willing. Iowa obviously pushed him to decide now

Its a crap shoot. Some kids just want a change. CT is more similar to Syracuse. Maybe the weather was great or he saw a girl. These are young impressionable kids. WR is one position i would expect us to do well recruiting.

Syracuse is my favorite team and Iowa is my second favorite. Looking at this decision as objectively as I can:

• Vines is the 21st recruit in Iowa's 2020 class. So spots were filling up quickly but he was also only their 2nd WR. Ultimately, I think that played a huge part in the decision - get your spot before it's no longer there.
  • Style of offense - For a WR. obviously a definitely advantage to us. Iowa does pass the ball. They passed it 408 times compared to 488 rushes last year, so fairly even split. But their top 2 receivers were 1st round draft pick TEs. Even before this year, they have done a much better job developing and using their TEs than their WRs. I think they want to focus more on WRs but just haven't been able to recruit and develop them. If you want to play in a fun offense for a WR, I'd definitely pick us over the Hawks.
  • Depth chart - If you're looking to get on the field early, I think a guy would probably look at Iowa's depth chart and see less competition and an easier path to the field than he would see on ours.
  • Facilities - Iowa opened a $55 million football performance training facility in 2015 with an IPF and 76,000 square football football operations center and have regularly updated Kinnick Stadium including a current $89 million project. We're making progress here and will be even better with the Dome renovations, but Iowa has a pretty decided advantage here in the WOW factor.
  • Game day atmosphere - I think this year will be a definite improvement for us and the fans that are in the Dome are fantastic. But right now, it's probably hard to impress recruits with an average attendance of 37,000. Iowa is regularly in the top 25 in average game attendance with their five year average being 66,000.

Syracuse is my favorite team and Iowa is my second favorite. Looking at this decision as objectively as I can:

• Vines is the 21st recruit in Iowa's 2020 class. So spots were filling up quickly but he was also only their 2nd WR. Ultimately, I think that played a huge part in the decision - get your spot before it's no longer there.
  • Style of offense - For a WR. obviously a definitely advantage to us. Iowa does pass the ball. They passed it 408 times compared to 488 rushes last year, so fairly even split. But their top 2 receivers were 1st round draft pick TEs. Even before this year, they have done a much better job developing and using their TEs than their WRs. I think they want to focus more on WRs but just haven't been able to recruit and develop them. If you want to play in a fun offense for a WR, I'd definitely pick us over the Hawks.
  • Depth chart - If you're looking to get on the field early, I think a guy would probably look at Iowa's depth chart and see less competition and an easier path to the field than he would see on ours.
  • Facilities - Iowa opened a $55 million football performance training facility in 2015 with an IPF and 76,000 square football football operations center and have regularly updated Kinnick Stadium including a current $89 million project. We're making progress here and will be even better with the Dome renovations, but Iowa has a pretty decided advantage here in the WOW factor.
  • Game day atmosphere - I think this year will be a definite improvement for us and the fans that are in the Dome are fantastic. But right now, it's probably hard to impress recruits with an average attendance of 37,000. Iowa is regularly in the top 25 in average game attendance with their five year average being 66,000.

Actually, it really is a very good and balanced analysis. Thanks for that. I was just imagining most orange-tinted-glasses wearing SU fans reading it. (Plus, I love this movie! My Cousin Vinny for those who don't know the reference).

These are good and I think you break it down in a fair manner, but wondering why you didn't also include:

Distance from home
Playing with people he knows (Barron)
Completely different culture in the Midwest (trust me, I went to school in Ohio; it matters)

These are good and I think you break it down in a fair manner, but wondering why you didn't also include:

Distance from home
Playing with people he knows (Barron)
Completely different culture in the Midwest (trust me, I went to school in Ohio; it matters)

You're absolutely right. I have been moving apartments this week so had this post in my head for about 2 days before I actually had a chance to write it, so I knew I would forget some things I wanted to mention. Distance from home is an obvious one. It's a lot easier for your family to get from CT to Syracuse than it is to Iowa City for sure.

Playing with Barron is a good point that I had forgotten. As far as the culture, I've lived in Kansas for the last 20 years so I get that. Guess I'm just so used to it that it didn't even occur to me that would be a factor, but you're right.

Moo.

Once you heard that the mom literally cried when they made the offer, well, I knew we weren't getting that kid. He enjoyed it a bit too much already. Mom put it over the top.

Once you heard that the mom literally cried when they made the offer, well, I knew we weren't getting that kid. He enjoyed it a bit too much already. Mom put it over the top.
You never know, Mom may start thinking about how far away her son is going to be from home and how she won't see much of him. I hope he still takes an OV to SU and brings Mom.

Maybe. He just seemed to love it there. I think he really liked SU a lot so maybe an official will change his mind if he is willing. Iowa obviously pushed him to decide now

Or, like you said...he just really liked Iowa. Its a good school with great facilities and history. Brian Ferentz has opened the offense up a little in recent years, they just haven't had the talent to do much with WR's

Last edited:
If we get Meiga and Poitier, I am good. Good luck to the young man. Iowa has been historically a winning program haven't they? Maybe combo on reputable coach, good program and probably pretty good facilities. The one position I am not even remotely concerned about is WR at Cuse. Again good luck and moving on

You never know, Mom may start thinking about how far away her son is going to be from home and how she won't see much of him. I hope he still takes an OV to SU and brings Mom.
To this point, let’s see how many games Iowa will play during the years Diante would be in Ames (or Iowa City; not 100% sure where it is located but it really doesn’t matter).

Let’s assume he redshirts in 2020 and stays at Iowa for 5 years.

Some baseline info:

Distance from Watertown, CT to the Universityof Iowa is 1070.8 miles. That is a 16 hour drive.
Distance from Watertown, CT to Syracuse University is 247.7 miles. That is 3 hours and 59 minutes.

Sept. 5 -- Northern Iowa
Sept. 12 -- Iowa State
Sept. 19 -- at Minnesota
Sept. 26 -- Northern Illinois
Oct. 3 -- Michigan State
Oct. 10 -- at Ohio State
Oct. 17 -- at Penn State
Oct. 24 -- Northwestern
Nov. 7 -- at Illinois
Nov. 14 -- Nebraska
Nov. 21 -- at Purdue
Nov. 28 -- Wisconsin

There is a drivable game. State College is 311.3 miles or 4 hours and 53 minutes away. The rest of the games are not drivable.

Sept. 4 -- Indiana
Sept. 11 -- at Iowa State
Sept. 18 -- Kent State
Sept. 25 -- Colorado State
Oct. 2 -- at Northwestern
Oct. 9 -- Penn State
Oct. 23 -- at Maryland
Oct. 30 -- Purdue
Nov. 6 -- at Nebraska
Nov. 13 -- Minnesota
Nov. 20 -- Illinois
Nov. 27 -- at Wisconsin

This is another good season for the Vines. There is a driavable game. College Park, Maryland is only 316.8 miles away or 5 hours and 44 minutes!

* -- Iowa State
Sept. 17 -- South Dakota State
Sept. 24 -- at Minnesota
Oct. 1 -- Michigan
Oct. 8 -- at Purdue
Oct. 15 -- at Ohio State
Oct. 22 -- Open
Oct. 29 -- Northwestern
Nov. 5 -- at Rutgers
Nov. 12 -- at Illinois
Nov. 19 -- Wisconsin
Nov. 25 -- Nebraska

2022 is another relatively good year. It features a drivable game at Rutgers. This one is actually closer than any home game at Syracuse. 137.5 miles away (2 hours and 43 minutes, though traffic near NYC could make this much higher). The game in Columbus is also very close by B1G standards, though I don’t consider it very drivable. It is 634.4 miles (9 hours and 34 minutes) from Watertown CT.

* -- Iowa State
Sept. 23 -- Purdue
Sept. 30 -- at Wisconsin
Oct. 7 -- Rutgers
Oct. 14 -- at Northwestern
Oct. 21 -- Michigan State
Oct. 28 -- at Penn State
Nov. 4 -- Minnesota
Nov. 11 -- Open
Nov. 18 -- Illinois
Nov. 24 -- at Nebraska

Another season with one drivable game to Penn State at State College (311.3 miles or 4 hours and 53 minutes away). The rest of the games are not drivable.

* -- Iowa State
Aug. 31 -- Illinois State
Sept. 28 -- at Purdue
Oct. 5 -- Northwestern
Oct. 12 -- at Rutgers
Oct. 19 -- at Illinois
Oct. 26 -- Maryland
Nov. 2 -- at Indiana
Nov. 9 -- Open
Nov. 16 -- at Minnesota
Nov. 23 -- Wisconsin
Nov. 29 -- Nebraska

Again, one drivable game at Rutgers. 137.5 miles, 2 hours 43 minutes.

Bottom line, in 5 years, there would be 5 drivable games. Not ideal.

If Diante went to Syracuse, things would be a little different.

DateOpponentTime/TVComments
Saturday, September 12that Rutgers
Friday, September 18thCOLGATEDebut of the new roof. Might be moved to 9/19.
Saturday, September 26that Western Michigan
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
Saturday, October 17thLIBERTY
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDGEORGIA TECH
TBDat Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 28th?at Boston College

9 drivable games, including 3 OOC games.

Saturday September 4that Ohio
Saturday September 11thRUTGERS
TBDSUNY ALBANY
Saturday, September 25thLIBERTY
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDat North Carolina State
TBDat Virginia Tech
TBDPITTSBURGH
Saturday, November 27th?BOSTON COLLEGE

7 drivable games, though Blacksburg, VA and Athens, OH are also closer to Watertown than Columbus is.

TBD
Saturday, September 10thOHIO
Saturday, September 17thPURDUE
TBDNOTRE DAME
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDVIRGINIA
TBDat Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 26th?at Boston College.

BC is the closest P5 school to the Vines, just 133.2 miles away. Pittsburgh is 444.3 miles away (7 hours and 1 minute). I think that is right about the limit on a drivable game. There are still 2 games to be scheduled for 2022 and at least one will be a home one (FCS opponent) Add in the 6 already booked home games and that brings the total of drivable games for the year to 9 with a possibility of 10. Let’s call it 9. That other OOC game could be an away game.

TBD
Saturday, September 9thWESTERN MICHIGAN
Saturday, September 16that Purdue
Saturday, September 23rdARMY
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDat North Carolina
TBDPITTSBURGH
Saturday, November 25th?BOSTON COLLEGE

With one game yet to be scheduled, there are 6 drivable games, all in Syracuse. It is likely the the remaining game will be a home game against an FCS opponent. That would bring us to 7 drivable games. It will be a tough year.

Saturday, August 31stOHIO
Saturday, September 21stat Army
TBD
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDMIAMI
TBDat Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 30th?at Boston College

This will be another good year. 5 home games and 3 drivable away games, including one at West Point (83.8 miles, 1 hour 39 minutes). There are still 2 games to be scheduled. One will be a home game against an FCS opponent. The other could well be another home game...maybe not. Let’s be pessimistic and say 9 drivable games.

That brings us to 41 drivable games if Diante goes to Syracuse vs 5 if he goes to whatever town the University of Iowa is in.

Iowa has one of the most unfriendly schemes for a WR in college football. If you want touches, you go to a school like Syracuse.

I know some of the staff from Iowa are from Connecticut and I am sure they are good people who do a good job coaching. Iowa is a good school. They have a good fanbase.

It makes great sense to go there if you are a RB, a TE, an OL and you like in the Midwest. It is a great place to go if you really want to learn about growing corn.

Not sure it is a great choice for a talented WR from Connecticut who has aspirations to play in the NFL.

But I could be wrong.

To this point, let’s see how many games Iowa will play during the years Diante would be in Ames (or Iowa City; not 100% sure where it is located but it really doesn’t matter).

Let’s assume he redshirts in 2020 and stays at Iowa for 5 years.

Some baseline info:

Distance from Watertown, CT to the Universityof Iowa is 1070.8 miles. That is a 16 hour drive.
Distance from Watertown, CT to Syracuse University is 247.7 miles. That is 3 hours and 59 minutes.

Sept. 5 -- Northern Iowa
Sept. 12 -- Iowa State
Sept. 19 -- at Minnesota
Sept. 26 -- Northern Illinois
Oct. 3 -- Michigan State
Oct. 10 -- at Ohio State
Oct. 17 -- at Penn State
Oct. 24 -- Northwestern
Nov. 7 -- at Illinois
Nov. 14 -- Nebraska
Nov. 21 -- at Purdue
Nov. 28 -- Wisconsin

There is a drivable game. State College is 311.3 miles or 4 hours and 53 minutes away. The rest of the games are not drivable.

Sept. 4 -- Indiana
Sept. 11 -- at Iowa State
Sept. 18 -- Kent State
Sept. 25 -- Colorado State
Oct. 2 -- at Northwestern
Oct. 9 -- Penn State
Oct. 23 -- at Maryland
Oct. 30 -- Purdue
Nov. 6 -- at Nebraska
Nov. 13 -- Minnesota
Nov. 20 -- Illinois
Nov. 27 -- at Wisconsin

This is another good season for the Vines. There is a driavable game. College Park, Maryland is only 316.8 miles away or 5 hours and 44 minutes!

* -- Iowa State
Sept. 17 -- South Dakota State
Sept. 24 -- at Minnesota
Oct. 1 -- Michigan
Oct. 8 -- at Purdue
Oct. 15 -- at Ohio State
Oct. 22 -- Open
Oct. 29 -- Northwestern
Nov. 5 -- at Rutgers
Nov. 12 -- at Illinois
Nov. 19 -- Wisconsin
Nov. 25 -- Nebraska

2022 is another relatively good year. It features a drivable game at Rutgers. This one is actually closer than any home game at Syracuse. 137.5 miles away (2 hours and 43 minutes, though traffic near NYC could make this much higher). The game in Columbus is also very close by B1G standards, though I don’t consider it very drivable. It is 634.4 miles (9 hours and 34 minutes) from Watertown CT.

* -- Iowa State
Sept. 23 -- Purdue
Sept. 30 -- at Wisconsin
Oct. 7 -- Rutgers
Oct. 14 -- at Northwestern
Oct. 21 -- Michigan State
Oct. 28 -- at Penn State
Nov. 4 -- Minnesota
Nov. 11 -- Open
Nov. 18 -- Illinois
Nov. 24 -- at Nebraska

Another season with one drivable game to Penn State at State College (311.3 miles or 4 hours and 53 minutes away). The rest of the games are not drivable.

* -- Iowa State
Aug. 31 -- Illinois State
Sept. 28 -- at Purdue
Oct. 5 -- Northwestern
Oct. 12 -- at Rutgers
Oct. 19 -- at Illinois
Oct. 26 -- Maryland
Nov. 2 -- at Indiana
Nov. 9 -- Open
Nov. 16 -- at Minnesota
Nov. 23 -- Wisconsin
Nov. 29 -- Nebraska

Again, one drivable game at Rutgers. 137.5 miles, 2 hours 43 minutes.

Bottom line, in 5 years, there would be 5 drivable games. Not ideal.

If Diante went to Syracuse, things would be a little different.

Saturday, September 12that Rutgers
Friday, September 18thCOLGATEDebut of the new roof. Might be moved to 9/19.
Saturday, September 26that Western Michigan
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
Saturday, October 17thLIBERTY
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDGEORGIA TECH
TBDat Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 28th?at Boston College

9 drivable games, including 3 OOC games.

Saturday September 4that Ohio
Saturday September 11thRUTGERS
TBDSUNY ALBANY
Saturday, September 25thLIBERTY
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDat Virginia Tech
TBDPITTSBURGH
Saturday, November 27th?BOSTON COLLEGE

7 drivable games, though Blacksburg, VA and Athens, OH are also closer to Watertown than Columbus is.

TBD
Saturday, September 10thOHIO
Saturday, September 17thPURDUE
TBDNOTRE DAME
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDVIRGINIA
TBDat Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 26th?at Boston College.

BC is the closest P5 school to the Vines, just 133.2 miles away. Pittsburgh is 444.3 miles away (7 hours and 1 minute). I think that is right about the limit on a drivable game. There are still 2 games to be scheduled for 2022 and at least one will be a home one (FCS opponent) Add in the 6 already booked home games and that brings the total of drivable games for the year to 9 with a possibility of 10. Let’s call it 9. That other OOC game could be an away game.

TBD
Saturday, September 9thWESTERN MICHIGAN
Saturday, September 16that Purdue
Saturday, September 23rdARMY
TBDat Louisville
TBDat Florida State
TBDWAKE FOREST
TBDCLEMSON
TBDat North Carolina
TBDPITTSBURGH
Saturday, November 25th?BOSTON COLLEGE

With one game yet to be scheduled, there are 6 drivable games, all in Syracuse. It is likely the the remaining game will be a home game against an FCS opponent. That would bring us to 7 drivable games. It will be a tough year.

Saturday, August 31stOHIO
Saturday, September 21stat Army
TBD
TBDLOUISVILLE
TBDFLORIDA STATE
TBDat Wake Forest
TBDat Clemson
TBDNORTH CAROLINA STATE
TBDMIAMI
TBDat Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 30th?at Boston College

This will be another good year. 5 home games and 3 drivable away games, including one at West Point (83.8 miles, 1 hour 39 minutes). There are still 2 games to be scheduled. One will be a home game against an FCS opponent. The other could well be another home game...maybe not. Let’s be pessimistic and say 9 drivable games.

That brings us to 41 drivable games if Diante goes to Syracuse vs 5 if he goes to whatever town the University of Iowa is in.

Iowa has one of the most unfriendly schemes for a WR in college football. If you want touches, you go to a school like Syracuse.

I know some of the staff from Iowa are from Connecticut and I am sure they are good people who do a good job coaching. Iowa is a good school. They have a good fanbase.

It makes great sense to go there if you are a RB, a TE, an OL and you like in the Midwest. It is a great place to go if you really want to learn about growing corn.

Not sure it is a great choice for a talented WR from Connecticut who has aspirations to play in the NFL.

But I could be wrong.
Maybe the Vines family views Iowa's location as a major plus because they hate driving.

Maybe the Vines family views Iowa's location as a major plus because they hate driving.
Maybe they hate their son, have no interest watching him play and want him banished to the most remote location possible. Maybe Diante hates his parents and wants to go somewhere really hard for them to visit?

He could do a lot worse than a program like Iowa. But I think he could do better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom