Class of 2022 - WR Justus Ross-Simmons (NY) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 WR Justus Ross-Simmons (NY) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24)

You know in 1966 his QB back then was Johnny Unitas threw 9 TDs to Mackey and 6 of those were over 50 yards. Mackey had good speed.
Yep...but that wasn't Johnny U in this video. JU wore #19. I think that was Earl Morrall #15?

Mang and Clement cover the big inline TE spot. Given everything I could see Clement moving on.
Mang is a Senior and Clement is a true Sophomore. I think Clement should redshirt and he would have two more years at SU being the in line TE. But its hard to convince a player to redshirt and not to play if he is already physically there. But maybe with another year of honing his skills he will be even better and can play some for 2 years.

It will be interesting if we try some 3 TE sets with this group of guys and if team go big Dan and OG split out with mis matches all over.
With all the weapons we have I think we will be able to do that and dictate mismatches a lot of different way. Wanna go small and play coverage? We should be able to run it down your throat. Want to play the run? We can spread ya out. Want to take away our top receivers with double teams? Our 3rd 4th and 5th guys are really really good against your single coverage.

With all the weapons we have I think we will be able to do that and dictate mismatches a lot of different way. Wanna go small and play coverage? We should be able to run it down your throat. Want to play the run? We can spread ya out. Want to take away our top receivers with double teams? Our 3rd 4th and 5th guys are really really good against your single coverage.
and we have a QB that should be able to feast on reading those coverage issues if he has time with an accurate arm.

An additional sidebar in regards to roster weight. Its amazing we have not had an updated roster with weight changes really since last season. We got an updated roster with jersey numbers and added players but no updates on measurables. And more amazing is nobody has complained about it! That was one of the rare bits of information we have always got with previous regimes. Now we seem to get a lot more interviews with players and all staff members along with all of the additional recruiting info that is going on and nobody has even complained once about not having roster weights. I think we even get a little less practice footage than we have seen and people haven't complained. Pretty amazing.

I really would be interested to see an update on that though. That info always peaks my interest. I wonder when they will do this. I would think there would be a post spring one coming out soon.
The excitement around recruiting and spring practice really took up any space that measurables used to take up. I imagine the pace of recruiting has to slow down at some point …

There was some serious talent that year. Harrison ran circles around the Clemson DB’s in the Gator Bowl win 41-0. Johnson had one of the best catches I have seen in an SU Uniform as he completely laid out for a catch that I will never forget. Amazing athletes.

I will add that Williams and Sinceno were a phenomenal team of TE’s as well.
Rutgers game in dome in September?

Edit, nevermind was thinking of the Turner catch against Rutgers. Game was a shootout if I recall

Last edited:
We are loaded.
Looking at our schedule I think we have more offensive firepower than any team we play. We have 7 players that can make huge plays at the wr te positions. Maybe 10.
We have two future NFL running backs and a future NFL QB. We have more talent than any team since the 90s.
We don't need trick plays. Gadget schemes. We can line up in a pro set and have match up advantages all over the board. We are loaded.

I am still expecting to wake up from this whole thing and have gerg be our coach and we are 1-10.
1714094887159.gif

Florida is actually ranked pretty high in the US News and World Report University rankings (#28), only behind Vandy in the $EC. But we all know that exceptions are made for football players in the $EC.
You almost HAVE TO BE in the top 5-10% of your class here in FL to get in as a freshman. It is easier to transfer in later, but freshman entry is extremely competitive.

You almost HAVE TO BE in the top 5-10% of your class here in FL to get in as a freshman. It is easier to transfer in later, but freshman entry is extremely competitive.
Exact same for UGA here. I know kids with perfect grades who don't get in. Easier to transfer in later.

Well written article by Chris Carlson, who excels at these types of stories.

Sounds like it was a good move to get away from Colorado State, with the distance from home, low quality schedule, facilities and staff, the poor handling of his injuries and especially, the way they handled him leaving.

With his dad’s heath situation, I would hope any coach would be supportive and understanding if a player wanted to be closer to home. I lost some respect for Jay Norvell reading this.

One other thing….

Reading about Justus and his difficulty getting offers or interest from D1 schools, I think a signficant part of the blame is on Dino Babers and his staff. They made it clear they did not consider upstate New York a priority. They rarely even offered players from upstate NY. The number of players from the state we took in our classes dropped to an all time low while he was here. I think there was even a year when Coach Babers took zero players from NYS in a recruiting class. This was before the days of the portal and far more emphasis on taking transfers; that was not a factor.

And when Syracuse greatly de-emphasizes recruiting NYS, especially north of Westchester County, it sends a strong signal to all the other schools SU competes against in recruiting that upstate NY is not worth recruiting.

Let’s be clear here. I think upstate NY has been under recruited for decades. This is not something Dino started. But I think he made it worse. A lot of good prospects in upstate NY were affected by what Dino did while he was here.

Not to demonize Dino, who was a good man and did what he thought was right. But he wasn’t from the Northeast and I don’t think he ever understood there is a lot of talent and value recruiting it hard.

I have confidence a talented player from upstate NY like Justus will not go unnoticed and ignored by Syracuse in the future. The new head coach and his staff are far better at identifying talent.

Sounds like it was a good move to get away from Colorado State, with the distance from home, low quality schedule, facilities and staff, the poor handling of his injuries and especially, the way they handled him leaving.

With his dad’s heath situation, I would hope any coach would be supportive and understanding if a player wanted to be closer to home. I lost some respect for Jay Norvell reading this.

One other thing….

Reading about Justus and his difficulty getting offers or interest from D1 schools, I think a signficant part of the blame is on Dino Babers and his staff. They made it clear they did not consider upstate New York a priority. They rarely even offered players from upstate NY. The number of players from the state we took in our classes dropped to an all time low while he was here. I think there was even a year when Coach Babers took zero players from NYS in a recruiting class. This was before the days of the portal and far more emphasis on taking transfers; that was not a factor.

And when Syracuse greatly de-emphasizes recruiting NYS, especially north of Westchester County, it sends a strong signal to all the other schools SU competes against in recruiting that upstate NY is not worth recruiting.

Let’s be clear here. I think upstate NY has been under recruited for decades. This is not something Dino started. But I think he made it worse. A lot of good prospects in upstate NY were affected by what Dino did while he was here.

Not to demonize Dino, who was a good man and did what he thought was right. But he wasn’t from the Northeast and I don’t think he ever understood there is a lot of talent and value recruiting it hard.

I have confidence a talented player from upstate NY like Justus will not go unnoticed and ignored by Syracuse in the future. The new head coach and his staff are far better at identifying talent.
Agree completely on both points. Norvell comes off very badly.

One other thing….

I think part of the problem is there has been an undeniable downturn in the amount of P4 level prospects coming out of upstate NY. I know that Fran and his staff have taken a number of upstate prospects in the 2025 class, 3 from CBA alone, but the CBA kids are all regional / national recruits. Is this year just a much stronger year for upstate?

I think part of the problem is there has been an undeniable downturn in the amount of P4 level prospects coming out of upstate NY. I know that Fran and his staff have taken a number of upstate prospects in the 2025 class, 3 from CBA alone, but the CBA kids are all regional / national recruits. Is this year just a much stronger year for upstate?

I think it’s more a function of -
Fran can actually get the upstate P4 guys to commit to Cuse.

BF - Before Fran - P4 local kids didn’t really have a compelling reason to stay home.

Wanting them to attend Cuse isn’t enough.
They hafta want that too.

Now they do.

I think it’s more a function of -
Fran can actually get the upstate P4 guys to commit to Cuse.

BF - Before Fran - P4 local kids didn’t really have a compelling reason to stay home.

Wanting them to attend Cuse isn’t enough.
They hafta want that too.

Now they do.
And you have a player who started at Albany who went 19th in the draft.
Upstate has been underecruited, now that Fran is here expect it to pick up.
His talk with the instate coaches should wake everyone up.

And you have a player who started at Albany who went 19th in the draft.
Upstate has been underecruited, now that Fran is here expect it to pick up.
His talk with the instate coaches should wake everyone up.
Verse isn't from NY. PA Kid.

Grant at UB, now Cuse and this kid are good examples though. Grant was somehow a 4 star at 247 (I believe due to Rutgers interest / Dohn) but both were lightly recruited compared to the CBA kids we have in the 2025 class.

Does he already seem to have a destination?
JUSTUS ROSS - SIMMONS IN TRANSFER PORTAL FROM CO. ST. // TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE 4/24/24 ! UPDATED STATS:
#2 6' 3" 205 WR - '23 45 REC, 724 YDS, 3 TDS - 24 GAMES 71 REC'S - 1,148 YDS, 6 TDS/
4.43 - 4.5 40
/ 4.00 SH/ 33" VJ // TWO YEARS REMAINING
images (96).jpg

images - 2024-04-26T175944.423.jpg

GLGEDAaXIAErTF4.jpg

ASSETS PER HUDL SENIOR YEAR INGLEWOOD HS FILM:

VERY FAST
EXCELLENT HANDS
CATCHES EVERYTHING
BEST ROUTE - GOES TO CORNERS OF END ZONE WHERE HE LEAPS OVER DB FOR TDS
RUNS GREAT ROUTES GO, SLANTS, OVER THE MIDDLE

GREAT ATHLETE COMING TO SYRACUSE CHOSE US OVER FLORIDA

dailyorange
Former Colorado State wide receiver Justus Ross-Simmons has committed to Syracuse, he announced Wednesday. Ross-Simmons is a 6-foot-3, 205-pound wide receiver who has two years of eligibility left. 247Sports Composite listed Ross-Simmons as a three-star transfer.

In 24 games with the Rams, he recorded 71 receptions, 1,148 receiving yards and six touchdowns. He was an honorable mention in the All-Mountain West team as well in 2023.

According to 247Sports, Syracuse and Florida were the top two choices for Ross-Simmons, who eventually chose the Orange following his visit during the last week of spring football. Major schools, such as Penn State, Alabama and Florida State, also reached out to the receiver.

Ross-Simmons is the third wide receiver to transfer into the program along with Georgia transfers Zeed Haynes and Jackson Meeks. The trio joins a receivers room with returners like Oronde Gadsden II, Trebor Pena, tight end Dan Villari and returning pass catchers Umari Hatcher and Darrell Gill Jr.

Robinson and Flagler said Ross-Simmons is about 6 feet-3 inches tall, and while weighing in at 225 pounds, can run a 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds. "He's just a good kid, quiet and unassuming," Flagler said. "He has a quiet confidence about him, he knows that he's good. "A lot of kids like to tell you how good they are.Aug 24, 2021

JUSTUS ROSS - SIMMONS IN TRANSFER PORTAL FROM CO. ST. // TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE 4/24/24 ! UPDATED STATS:
#2 6' 3" 205 WR - '23 45 REC, 724 YDS, 3 TDS - 24 GAMES 71 REC'S - 1,145 YDS, 6 TDS/
4.43 - 4.5 40
/ 4.00 SH/ 33" VJ // TWO YEARS REMAINING
images (96).jpg

View attachment 240531
View attachment 240532

ASSETS PER HUDL SENIOR YEAR INGLEWOOD HS FILM:

VERY FAST
EXCELLENT HANDS
CATCHES EVERYTHING
BEST ROUTE GOES TO CORNERS OF END ZONE WHERE HE LEAPS OVER DB FOR TDS
RUNS GREAT ROUTES GO, SLANTS, OVER THE MIDDLE

GREAT ATHLETE COMING TO SYRACUSE CHOSE US OVER FLORIDA

dailyorange
Former Colorado State wide receiver Justus Ross-Simmons has committed to Syracuse, he announced Wednesday. Ross-Simmons is a 6-foot-3, 205-pound wide receiver who has two years of eligibility left. 247Sports Composite listed Ross-Simmons as a three-star transfer.

In 24 games with the Rams, he recorded 71 receptions, 1,148 receiving yards and six touchdowns. He was an honorable mention in the All-Mountain West team as well in 2023.

According to 247Sports, Syracuse and Florida were the top two choices for Ross-Simmons, who eventually chose the Orange following his visit during the last week of spring football. Major schools, such as Penn State, Alabama and Florida State, also reached out to the receiver.

Ross-Simmons is the third wide receiver to transfer into the program along with Georgia transfers Zeed Haynes and Jackson Meeks. The trio joins a receivers room with returners like Oronde Gadsden II, Trebor Pena, tight end Dan Villari and returning pass catchers Umari Hatcher and Darrell Gill Jr.

Robinson and Flagler said Ross-Simmons is about 6 feet-3 inches tall, and while weighing in at 225 pounds, can run a 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds. "He's just a good kid, quiet and unassuming," Flagler said. "He has a quiet confidence about him, he knows that he's good. "A lot of kids like to tell you how good they are.Aug 24, 2021
6'3 225 and a 4.5 40 - that's a Clemson WR historically. As big or bigger than our LBers lol. I love this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom